SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-20-2004, 01:57 AM
SageTVaholic

OK I thought I followed the FAQ but

Quote:
Q: Can I move a SageTV Recording file and still have it listed with all its data on the SageTV Recordings screen?

A: Yes, but only if you move it to another Video Directory.

CAUTION: To prevent any problems while moving a recording, only move the file after exiting SageTV. Do not leave it sleeping, close it completely.

All you have to do is exit SageTV, move your chosen file(s) to another directory that has been listed in Detailed Setup as a Video Directory, then restart SageTV. As long as a recording file has not been modified, it will still be recognized as a valid recording by SageTV when it starts, and its location data will be updated accordingly.

NOTE: The original drive must still be visible to SageTV after moving the files. (Not the video directory; just the drive.) If it has been removed, SageTV will not acknowledge that the files have been moved. It won't delete the files from their new location, but it also won't recognize where they are.
OK I closed SageTV all the way
then copied my wiz bin and bak
then moved files from one video directory to another
I restarted SageTV and now it wants to import all of them
I am trying to get this computer ready for a fresh install of XP
and now I do not remember what files came from where

did I do something wrong?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

did you try make_all_files_local=true (or whatever it's supposed to be)?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:39 AM
Sage Fanatic

If that last idea was working right it should change itself back to the other setting (I believe false) after looking thru all the files. Since you say that's not working, I suspect maybe it has something to do with running as a service and having 2 properties files to mess with.

Hope you get it figure out. I know I did it once back with v2.20, but who knows if things work the same with v2.1 (it is kind of screwed up ya know).
Old 11-20-2004, 03:56 AM
SageTVaholic

OK I am in the process of getting them back to where they will not be imported but how in the heck
can I move them without the files going into the imported videos section
there is something missing from the FAQ

oh and thank you so much mls

for being my voice of reason
Old 11-20-2004, 04:33 AM
SageTVaholic

OK I got them all back to where they belong
but how in the world do I move them
I have a feeling though that this will not work because
everytime I set it to make media local true it goes back to false immediately

I really need some help on how to get the files moved without having to spend another 4 hours getting them back

I get corruptted wiz bins the second I try to reinstall 2.020

Last edited by kny3twalker; 11-20-2004 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Sage Icon

First off the media local to true is supposed to return to false everytime. Second I don't think you need to set it at all. The only thing I can think of that you may not be doing is before doing anything you should add the directory you plan to move the file over to in Sage. Then quit sage and disable the service. Then move the file then restart Sage. I have never personally tried this but I'm thinking you probably did do it in the right order before but figured I'd chime in anyways.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Hey Thanks ToxMox
I did not realise it would return to false everytime
but I was just moving from one existing directory to another
not onto a new directory
I wonder if that could make any difference

if this has changed since 2.1, I would hope Opus will adjust his FAQ
Old 11-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Administrator

First, a couple comments:
  1. Contrary to all appearances, I am not online 24 hours a day.
  2. Swearing, etc. (in the posts you subsequently removed) does not really encourage a quicker response; in fact, it encourages people to ignore the question and move on.
Next, it works as I mentiond, and works in v2.1. I'm not too sure why it is not working for you. I've done what the FAQ says several times in the past (using v2.1): I shut down SageTV, _moved_ (not copied) a recording from one already-existing Video Dir to another already-existing Video Dir, then restarted SageTV. It has to be a valid Video Dir where SageTV can store recordings. I don't know if you also told SageTV to use the same dir as an import lib dir, but if so... don't do that.

It works just fine while using the service, despite mls thinking that is the cause of every problem. In this case, the service is the one scanning the video dirs, so the service must be stopped also.

You have not changed the name of your PC, so that "make_all_mediafiles_local=true" setting is not needed. In fact, no properties file edit is needed.

I don't know what you mean in the first post about copying wiz.bin. Why are you doing this? (Hopefully just to backup the files?) SageTV continues to use the same wiz.bin when you move a recording. Are you trying to do this while going back to 2.0.20 after having used 2.1? If so: forget it. The 2.1 wiz.bin file cannot be used with 2.0. And, if you have no wiz.bin file, or you do not have those recordings in that wiz.bin file, the recordings will be imported. They can't be placed in the SageTV Recordings menu if they aren't already in the database. I don't know if this is what you are trying to do, but thought I would toss it out there.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't know what you mean in the first post about copying wiz.bin. Why are you doing this? (Hopefully just to backup the files?) SageTV continues to use the same wiz.bin when you move a recording. Are you trying to do this while going back to 2.0.20 after having used 2.1? If so: forget it. The 2.1 wiz.bin file cannot be used with 2.0. And, if you have no wiz.bin file, or you do not have those recordings in that wiz.bin file, the recordings will be imported. They can't be placed in the SageTV Recordings menu if they aren't already in the database. I don't know if this is what you are trying to do, but thought I would toss it out there.
I understand all of this and the wiz bin was my back up
but I had to use it since my videos kept getting imported

I did have three videos that were in my videos directories that were imported
from a past issue with beta 2.1
but I am moving them out of there with the hope that
I may be able to move stuff around now
I will give it another shot here and thank you

and desparation was my only thoughts last night
glad you were on today
the videos already imported is my last hope of figuring this out

and thanks again
like always

I will post if removing those lost videos does the trick
Old 11-20-2004, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

ok I removed the imported video directories altogether
I moved the lost videos out of the sage video directories
and tried to move one video this time and still
it gets imported every time

I have to close SageTV, move back file, and then replace wiz bin and bak and it is back in the Sage recordings list

I am really confused here as how I can get these files to move

I am open to any ideas
Old 11-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Administrator

I haven't had this problem -- the only one I had was where the files stayed in SageTV Recordings w/the old location attached to it, but that was because the old location was no longer visible to SageTV, so it couldn't figure out the file wasn't in its old location.

How are your video dirs defined? UNC, mapped drives, straight paths? You are shutting down the service, if that is in use, right?

Has SageTV recorded any shows to the dir you are trying to move the recording to? (i.e.: is there any chance something is set incorrectly?) How is the situation w/the space SageTV is allowed to use in the other video dir? If it can't write to that dir, maybe it won't use it for anything but importing. (I'm guessing.)

I don't know if there is some property setting that could interfere with this process, since this is a new issue to me.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:59 PM
SageTVaholic

OK I have set the drives to use all
with all drives having at least 40 and up to 90GB free(except G:\Programs~\SageTV\)
I have four drives in which are labeled F:\, C:\, H:\. and the default(G:\Programs.....) which is set for use 10GBs (now) and has no recordings in it currently
I am trying to move everything to F:\ from H:\ and C:\
service has not been running since problem started

I did just notice one thing SageTV is incorrectly reporting how much space I have available
it says 344GB of recordings, and 207 GB of free space
it should be 195GB+233GB+76GB+10GB=514GB(instead of 551GB)
not sure why it is doing this
but guessing this is part of the problem

can I send you my wiz bin and properties file?
and when you have some time, you could look at them?

if you cannot look at them, can I send them to Frey's for examination

and thank you for your time
I really appreciate everything
(and sorry you are missing part of your weekend to mess with this)

oh and I do have recordings on the drive I want to use, if that helps
but I am sure you got that from above
the C, H and G are dedicated for videos
Old 11-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Administrator

There isn't much I can do with your data files & I would think that Frey will consider this an unsupported thing, since it is just a trick to take advantage of how recordings are scanned. I don't think I've done this recently w/o using the service, so we are doing something different there... and I'm about to head out for quite a while, so I can't try that right now.

You could try a new properties file to clear out any settings that _might_ be causing a problem here. But, then you have to go reset the video dirs before trying to move any files.

After moving the file, you've deleted it from its original dir, correct? You aren't renaming it either? As I said above, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this isn't working for you.

- Andy
Old 11-20-2004, 05:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You could try a new properties file to clear out any settings that _might_ be causing a problem here. But, then you have to go reset the video dirs before trying to move any files.
What do you mean by reset the video directories?
you mean new properties with my old folders just add it to the the new properties file?

Quote:
After moving the file, you've deleted it from its original dir, correct? You aren't renaming it either? As I said above, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this isn't working for you.
using cut and paste

with no renaming

Quote:
I did just notice one thing SageTV is incorrectly reporting how much space I have available
it says 344GB of recordings, and 207 GB of free space
it should be 195GB+233GB+76GB+10GB=514GB(instead of 551GB)
not sure why it is doing this
but guessing this is part of the problem
you know what the deal is here? or at least why it is doing that?

Ok got this last issue with reporting incorrect space fixed but this a no go on moving files
I would be surprised if any of those things worked anymore from your FAQ after this

Last edited by kny3twalker; 11-20-2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
What do you mean by reset the video directories?
you mean new properties with my old folders just add it to the the new properties file?
I mean that if you delete your properties files, you will have to specify your video dirs again when you set everything up again. SageTV will still be able to find the files before doing that however, because you are using the same wiz.bin file & the recordings are still where they previously were. But, before you move anything, you would have to set up the video dirs again & then exit SagTV, move a file or 2, then restart to see the results.

Quote:
using cut and paste
with no renaming
I move things differently, but as long as that doesn't leave the original file on the original drive I don't see why that shouldn't work as long as SageTV is not running.

Quote:
you know what the deal is here? or at least why it is doing that?
As I said above: no, I don't know, which is why I can't give a definite answer. I have no idea why this works for me & not for you -- why SageTV is not rescanning & recognizing the recordings in their new locations as long as they have been moved (original is gone now; no copy remains) and SageTV was completely closed while the move was in progress.

You said the import lib dirs do not have the video dirs as sub directories?

Quote:
I would be surprised if any of those things worked anymore from your FAQ after this
I already told you they worked on my system. In fact, the last time I updated those FAQs, I was already using 2.1, so these things were not disabled in 2.1. I moved files today using both service mode & then just a few minutes ago I tried it in non-service mode.

For some reason, SageTV is not seeing those files as its own recordings & they are getting imported instead. So far, my only remaining guesses are some property is interfering or an import lib dir includes the video dir as a subdirectory.

After you try moving a file, it is no longer in SageTV Recordings & ONLY shows up in the Video Library?

You don't have the service on by accident?

- Andy
Old 11-21-2004, 02:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Well no matter what I have done
it will not work
I have tried new properties files and assigned new directories

Quote:
I mean that if you delete your properties files, you will have to specify your video dirs again when you set everything up again. SageTV will still be able to find the files before doing that however, because you are using the same wiz.bin file & the recordings are still where they previously were. But, before you move anything, you would have to set up the video dirs again & then exit SagTV, move a file or 2, then restart to see the results.
did not work
SageTV still saw the videos from before but anything I moved got imported

Quote:
You said the import lib dirs do not have the video dirs as sub directories?
I moved the imported videos from the normal video directories
but I never had it setup where the import lib directories where sub directories fo the video directories

Quote:
After you try moving a file, it is no longer in SageTV Recordings & ONLY shows up in the Video Library?

You don't have the service on by accident?
yes and then no

I am betting it is a wiz bin issue

I bet if you opened it up you would find a problem, but maybe not

like I said I tried it with clean properties files
Old 11-21-2004, 08:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

I just tried to move some files from one video directory to the other. For some reason I remember a while ago I had issues too. I thought I couldn't get it to work and I never pressed the issue to get it working because I forgot about it.
I tried it again now...
1. Closed Sage
2. Right click dragged 3 files to the other directory and selected move.
3. Restarted Sage.

They showed up as if they were originally there. So that time it worked...

I still say there is something screwey going on because I swear that this DIDN'T work before for me.

I'm running 2.1 not as a service with cayars STV.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah I just gave up and went and found some pictures for my import videos
foldered eevrything and said the Heck with it

It definitely was not working
but I got everything reformatted and just need to finish up moving around these not imported videos and installing software

thanks for the input

and I hate Spyware