SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Sage User

Unhappy STV 2.1 deleted all manual recordings!?

I upgraded to 2.1 yesterday. This morning all of my previous recordings were intact, however this afternoon when I went into my recordings menu I noticed that it was conspicuously bare. Upon looking closely I found that all recordings that were created through favorites were intact, while anything that had been a manual recording was gone gone gone. So, needless to say I'm a bit confused by this. I wouldn't think that STV 2.1 would do this, but it seems like the most likely cause.

Can anyone offer any insights as to what might have caused this, or how I might be able to track down the cause?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Administrator

I haven't heard of this sort of problem, especially in v2.1. (Manual recrodings could get deleted in 2.0 if you accidentally turned off a show's "Manual Recording" setting.)

Are the recordings still on your drive & just not shown in SageTV?

Are the favorites that are shown simply recordings that were made after the upgrade to v2.1?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Sage User

Andy,

All of the manual recordings were gone off the hard drive. I was able to use norton unerase to recover some, but still haven't looked into how to make them available to STV again (any help there would also be appreciated).

The favorites that remained had almost all been recorded prior to the upgrade.

The only thing I may have done in the interim (I'm unsure if I did this before or after all manual recordings disappeared) was to change my irremote.ini to the one provided on post 18 of your extending remote thread. I did this since I only use the remote for STV.

Other than that I'm using the standard STV configuration. The only thing that might be a bit nonstandard is that I am running win98SE.

Thanks for your input,

Adam
Old 11-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Administrator

I'm not really sure how v2.1 would lose/delete recordings like that unless the wiz.bin file got corrupted somehow, which is why I was asking if the remaining recordings were from after the upgrade. But, even then, it shouldn't actually delete the recording files.

Do you have any sort of virus that hates mpg files?

A way to get the recovered files back into SageTV would be to import them via a different import lib directory, but SageTV will not show any details for the shows. If you ahve a copy of your wiz.bin file from before the upgrade, you could try using that instead -- the old shows should still be listed there.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Sage User

If I have an mpg eating virus it's an incredible one, able to discern between favorites and manual recordings and evade a full virus scan and Norton realtime protection.

If I ran into my storage limit and have no IR recordings. Sage is supposed to start its deletions with the favorites, right? And even then, I would assume one at a time starting with watched and lower priority favorites (How does it decide what to delete first?).

I'm baffled, but at least I'm in excelent company.

Thanks again,

Adam
Old 11-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Appendix C, p. 187 in the v2.1 manual found in your SageTV dir, has info on what files are deleted to make room for new recordings. The thing is, Manual Recordings are not supposed to ever be auto-deleted.

Are you using the service? Did you previously use UNC paths or mapped drive letters? The service cannot use mapped drive letters & you have to tell it to use a user account with a password for the service ot be able to use UNC paths. Oh... wait. You said you are using Win98SE, which I don't believe can even use services.

All your Video Directories are set up correctly in Detailed Setup -> General? Do new Manual Recordings hang around? How much available space is listed in Setup -> System Information?

You may want to ask tech support what else might cause this, becuase I don't remember seeing such a problem & so far no one else has commented here either.

- Andy
Old 11-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Sage User

I checked and I have 42 GB of space listed in the system information. The directory is in the standard location (C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\Video) and is set up normally (as far as I can tell). So far the manual recordings I have made since the mishap have stayed around for 24 hours.

I guess I'll have to run this by tech support and see what they say.

-Adam
Old 12-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

@luckya, any solution?

I think i may be in the same boat as you--I just upgraded to 2.1 this morning and my manually recorded programs were gone. I had to leave before I could check to see if they were actually deleted or just gone from the library.

Did tech support have anything to offer here?

BTW I use XP sp1
Old 12-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Administrator

I'm not exactly sure what would cause this to occur during an upgrade - did you simply install over the old version, or install fresh & copy the data files afterwards?

But, there was a problem in previous versions where non-favs could get deleted when recordings changed video dirs unless this property was set: seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off=false. The latest beta (v2.2.2) solves that issue.

- Andy
Old 12-24-2004, 02:58 AM
Sage User

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've been out of town. The response that I got from tech support is that they were baffled by what had happened and were looking into it. The person that emailed me was George Oms. Maybe he can be of some assistance. Good luck,

Adam