SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 11-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Incorrect Time via EPG!

Today at 1:23 P.M. my EPG update changed my system clock to an hour and 4 minutes off of the real time.

I noticed this because 7 minutes ago at 6:58 p.m. it started recording the Simpsons (should be 8 pm.)

not good

anyone else notice this? i am turning off my clock sync for now.

Last edited by sting7777; 11-14-2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

My time was "updated" to be an hour off today I had to switch back to real time and turn sync off
Old 11-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Sage Icon

Me too. It showed as 8:00PM and it was only 7:00PM. Happened on both my server and client pc.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've had this happen too. Is there any reason not to just let windows manage the time through it's own mechanism?

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
Me too. It showed as 8:00PM and it was only 7:00PM. Happened on both my server and client pc.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Sage User

Same here, Sunday before The Simpsons, strange . . .
Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

anyone from Sage care to reply/acknowledge this issue?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Administrator

As far as I know, there was a time glitch on their servers on Sunday. Isn't it back to normal now? I don't sync with their servers & use an atomic clock utility to periodically set the time on my systems.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

I too have been burned before by Sage's time server.
So I use a freebie time sync program (Dimension 4).

I understood Frey was going to add some kind of dual checking system (something like: if diff between timeSource1 and timeSource2 > "x" (i.e. 10 sec) then don't re-sync).

I basically do something like that with Dimension 4 (limit the maximum correction to X) to avoid a bad time sync.

TW
Old 12-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Sage Fanatic

I've been using Argosoft Time Synchronizer freeware for a couple years. Much better than the weekly built-in WinXP weekly time update feature. It's a pure NT+ service, config'd via control panel for which NIST Time Server and how often to update. Since I'm on cable, set all my PCs time every 15min for the heck of it. Once PCs where notorious for keeping lousy time, now mine are the most accurate clocks in the house.
http://www.argosoft.com/timesync/
Old 12-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Sage Icon

Why is it better then what's built in? You can change the update frequency and the time server used by the internal XP software and it uses less memory/resources then any external program I've ever tried.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmint
I've been using Argosoft Time Synchronizer freeware for a couple years. Much better than the weekly built-in WinXP weekly time update feature. It's a pure NT+ service, config'd via control panel for which NIST Time Server and how often to update. Since I'm on cable, set all my PCs time every 15min for the heck of it. Once PCs where notorious for keeping lousy time, now mine are the most accurate clocks in the house.
http://www.argosoft.com/timesync/
You can change the update interval with XPs builtin client, however it is a reghack.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient

set
SpecialPollInterval to the number of seconds between updates

Default is once a week.

If you are doing this, I recommend disabling the NTPServer in XP in less you want to run an NTPServer. For some bonehead reason MS turns this on by default.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpServer

set Enabled to "0"

Have fun.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
Why is it better then what's built in? You can change the update frequency and the time server used by the internal XP software and it uses less memory/resources then any external program I've ever tried.
Ok, maybe "better" isn't the correct word. How about much easier to configure not requiring registry hack to change time update interval etc. To me that equals "better" for an average user to use. Just checked, it uses a whopping 1,104k memory. Any system that can't handle that memory usage has a problem with Sage anyway IMO. So sorry for pointing out a free utility I find useful.

Last edited by mdmint; 12-11-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:32 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
I make use of the Windows Time Service. Its active on every workstation in my house to synchronize ever 1 hour.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8