SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Sage User

media_player_uses_system_volume - what does it do?

I noticed there is a new "media_player_uses_system_volume" setting in ver 2.1. what exactly does this do though? I was hoping that it might resolve the issue that SPDIF users have of Sage volume control controlling the system volume instead of the wave volume (so that i have to change the volume through the receiver directly, the sage volume control doesn't do anything.). But, i've tried setting to both true and false, doesn't seem to make a difference.

The manual says, "if set to true will use the media player's volume controls instead of the windows system volume controls", so it is suggestive of a fix as described. Anyone know for sure what it does and if it can resolve the issue of controlling wave volume?

thx
Old 11-03-2004, 09:44 PM
SageTVaholic

well for me when I set it to false
it raises the volume to max everytime I pause or play a new file
very annoying
So I left it as true
Old 11-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Hmmm... maybe that should read "if set to false..." Still looking into it. Edit: Yes, that was a mistake in the wording. It should read "false" instead of "true".

It sets the volume for that MediaPlayer, and I'm told that it is a property of that particular playback graph in DirectX, so it doesn't correspond to any volume slider in the Windows volume mixer, and it is mainly for MediaPlayer plugins like the MVP plugin.

You can also use it to be able to control the volume independently for multiple instances of the client. I just tried setting it to false & I had 2 videos playing with independent volume control; previously, changing the volume in one also changed it in the other. I also noticed that the vol was maxed for each new video played & that on my system there was a very narrow range near max volume where sound could be heard. If I lowered the volume much at all, it went silent.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 11-04-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to vuego
I can confirm that this bug made it all the way to Sage 4.0.0.

Set media_player_uses_system_volume=false and Sage will raises the volume to max on every channel change and lowering the volume below 80% makes it silent.

Anyone found a workaround?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:07 PM

anyone going to fix this???

I downloaded a trial version of Sagetv when it was in version 2. For my system to operate without regular BSOD I require the "media_player_uses_system_volume=false" option to work properly... ie-NOT to jump to %100 volume everytime you stop, or even pause a file. I was hoping this problem would get fixed since many other media players can make a volume change without using the system volume control and still remember the volume setting on file change or pause or whatever. Sage is up to V5 and (apparently) this problem persists. When I did the original trial, I almost bought the software anyway in the hopes that a fix would be coming... I've searched the forum and can't find any official word whether this is considered a problem to the developers or not. So, do you not want to fix it? Is it not fixable? Is this intended behavior?? I think Sagetv has a great interface and alot of great features... but this problem is a deal breaker for me.

S77
Old 05-20-2006, 08:38 PM
SageTVaholic

You need to let SageTV know this. Tech support does not monitor the forums all the time. This is a users forum.

BobP.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:44 PM
SageTVaholic

See Request Official SageTV Technical Support on the front page.

If nobody ever submits a bug report, the bug never gets into the queue to be fixed.