SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Sage User

Remote control question

Heya. I'm using the new (new-ish) irremote.ini that can control sage w/o focus. This isn't a big deal, but something I'm curious about and would like to fix.

When I put Sage to sleep via the green power button of the remote (Silver Hauppauge bundled w/ pvr350), it goes to sleep fine. Then when I go to wake sage, again pressing the power button, I have to press it twice. Only then does it wake sage and return to the menu. The problem is, at that point, Sage doesn't respond to any of the other remote buttons. I can only put it back to sleep again w/ the green button. Once it's asleep though, and I press the button ONCE (sage is still asleep at this point), I can press any other button and it will wake sage and the menu's respond fine.

It seems that the irremote.ini is getting confused as to which mode I'm in or something of the sort. I've read the instructions that state not to put sage to sleep via the menu option, otherwise the program will get confused, and at no point have I done that.

So, really, this isn't so much of a problem for me since I know how to work-around this issue, but for others like my family... they wouldn't really know what to do.

Justin
Old 11-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

If you are only going to use the remote strictly for SageTV (as I do)...

What I did to solve that was to remove the "{mode(Default)}" from the very end of the GRNPOWER= line in the "[SageTV]" section of the irremote.ini file.

The very first time you press the button it will start SageTV (if it isn't already running). After that it will stay within the SageTV commands section so that the Power button will sleep/awake SageTV (actually any button will wake it).

As long as you don't plan to use the remote for anything else, that is how I set it up. Opus4 may have some other ideas for you if you need to do other things with the remote.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Check the [Default] section of irremote.ini. There is a statement like:

GRNPOWER={run(C:\Progra~1\FreyTe~1\SageTV\SageTV.exe)}{mode(SageTV)}

(There is no space in that line, but the forum adds one.) If it doesn't already have the correct path, change the path to match where your SageTV.exe actually is. The path has to use short filenames -- you can use "dir /x" at a command prompt to get short filenames.

Having the wrong path here is the only way I've been able to recreate the same problem with the old remote, but people in another thread have said this isn't the problem. The thing I suggested there & have not heard the results yet is: close the SageTV UI completely, so it is not running at all, not even sleeping. Restart ir.exe to reset the remote software. Make sure only the Windows desktop has focus. Press the GRNPOWER button. Does SageTV start running?

If this isn't the problem, then I think I would like to see the irremote.ini file in your Windows dir -- not the one you downloaded, but the one in the Windows dir, in case it has changed somehow.

But, like I said: the wrong path produces the exact symptoms you describe when using the old remote & ini file.

Edit: I just realized the original post is taling about the old remote, not the new one.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 11-03-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

Opus4 -

Not sure just which is the cause of his problem here, but I think you are missing another klinker that causes this sort of whacky behaviour with the Power button.

If you have SageTV set up to time out and go to sleep by itself automatically and leave it set at a menu... it would still be in the SageTV section of the irremote.ini file. However, when you come back you hit the Power button to wake it and then it goes back to the Default section (where of course none of the keys work right) so you have to hit the Power button again to get back into the proper section of the irremote.ini.

That is why (a long time ago) I had removed the {mode(Default)} from the end of the GRNPOWER= line in the [SageTV] section of irremote.ini.

As I mentioned above, this is only usefull if you only use the remote just for SageTV and nothing else.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Sometimes it takes a reminder to take a new look at the problem... thanks: I never run SageTV w/it sleeping while still on the screen, so I keep forgetting about that situation & that will get it out of sync, just like using the sleep menu item instead of the remote. If this is the situation here (and in the other thread), then you might as well remove the mode() statements & perhaps use the ini version that sends keystrokes, since SageTV would have to have focus for the remote to work properly anyway. (Or, like mls said: put it into SageTV mode & leave it that way.)

I'm used to SageTV sleeping in the system tray & set up my ini files to operate with that in mind.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

I implemented the suggestion from mls (I removed the {mode(Default)} from the SageTV section), and it seems to work great on my system. The only thing it doesn't do is start Sage initially, but that's not a big deal because I have Sage set to run in the system tray on windows startup. But I am able to sleep Sage to the tray, and the power button brings it back up. And when I sleep Sage fullscreen, I can bring it back with just one GRNPOWER button press too.

Thanks guys!
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 11-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

From a fresh reboot of the system you should be able to start SageTV from the Power button on the remote if the line mentioned in post #3 above is correct. After that then it should remain in the SageTV control section.

BTW: If you have it set up as I mentioned, then just about any button (including the Power button) on the remote will wake SageTV back up from sleep. As such, the Power button basically ends up only used to put SageTV to sleep.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear that was it. I obviously completely forgot about that situation.

- Andy
Old 11-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Sage User

mls - thanks a bunch. This sounds like a solution that will work great for me since I only use the remote for sage.

Thanks all.

Justin