SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Interestingly, the Zap2It listings for digital cable in eastern Canada do include the PPV channels.

Since SageTV is a commercial product and Frey is doubtlessly profiting from the availability of the Canadian Zap2It plugin, I suspect those of us using it are in violation of the Zap2It agreement.

On the other hand, neither Frey or Zap2It seem to be interested in offering a legal option. Although I know the lawyers will disagree, I interpret this as tacit approval of the status quo and intend to continue using the service until someone offers an alternative!

Update:

I just read a post by Lester Jacobs on the DigiCasa web site where he states:

"This plugin was written so that I could make use of SageTV in Canada given that Frey Technologies do not provide listings for Canada. It was my own personal project. I specifically stated the parameters of the project to Zap2It labs before going public with the plugin and they were fully aware of its existence (as evidenced by them issuing a specific certificate code for the plugin)."

Looks like I was wrong and use of Zap2It through this plugin is legal.

Last edited by jmiddleton; 11-19-2004 at 12:38 PM. Reason: New info.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

jmiddleton - as mentioned above, Frey pay a hefty fee for legal commercial use of Zap2it. To my knowledge there are no legal problems with the EPG data.

Andy.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Last time I checked, Frey had licensed the listings for USA only. They chose not to pay the extra fee to license Zap2It in Canada (or other countries).

From Lesters' post on DigiCasa I gather the Canadian plugin is legal because the plugin itself is free and not distributed as part of the Sage product (what a tangled web we weave!)
Old 11-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

So is there a viaable way of getting American pay per view data for any of the providers into sage? IE: Comcast, DirecTV, or Dish Network?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Sage Expert

Maybe it will become as "available" as Studio.