SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Sage Expert

Logitech Harmony 680 V. Harmony 688

Anyone have any views on these? I like the 680 because it has native MCE support but the 688 is cheaper. I haven't seen either in person but I am wondering if anyone knows the differences even if the button layout is different. I am going to switch from XP Pro to MCE 2005 and also put Sage for my main recording, and MCE to control live TV through the Xbox MCE Extender and what I can tell either remote should work to control my Xbox.

So if anyone has any insight on either of these remotes or both it would be great to know.

O, I think the price for the 680 is $200 and the 688 is $150. You would think the 688 would be better thent he 680 but it sounds like to me the extra $50 is the package saying it works with MCE right out of teh box.

And if anyone knows the diffrences on even the buttons and the names on them are diffrent (such as maybe on the 680 says My TV like the MCE remote does and the 688 doesn't) let me know.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Sage Expert

I believe the 688 has a pretty short battery life
Old 10-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Sage Expert

Hmm....I wonder if the 680 is better on batteries. I was also incorrect on the MSRP, the 688 is $255 but I did find both remotes for $150. They seem the same to me except for the button lay out which to me the 680 looks friendlier as for being able to control the rewind and such.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:01 AM
Sage Expert

I foundmy answer searching some forums. Looks like the 688 is an older model and the 680 is the newer. There is also another model, I think the 676, which is the same as the 680 but a few diffrent names on the buttons (but are the same) and some moved around. Plus you can change the face on the 676. However, I think the 680 is the way to go.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Sage User

The 680 is configured for Media PC's and the 676 is more of a standard TIVO type but as I understand it they are much the same. Yes - the 688 is the older of the three and has had some bad reviews. Buttons too close, battery life, stops working after a few months, etc. Check out the Harmony forum on remotecentral.com for more info. I have the 659 and it is similar to the 676 but the transport buttons have been moved to a better location on the newer ones. Great products...