SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Recorder Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Recorder Software Discussion related to the SageTV Recorder application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Recorder should be posted here.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:53 AM

Slow in receiving changes from Satellite box

Hi!

I am using Sage TV Recorder with Hauppauge PVR 250. I receive the Tv signals from a Nokia Satellite box, through the Composite line. I find a long delay, of more than 5 seconds, from the moment I change the channel in the Satellite Box to the moment the new image appears in Sage Tv Recorder. This does not happen with WinTV2000. Can anyone suggest what I could do to avoid this annoying delay?

Many thanks

Miguel
Old 10-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Sage User

Betcha, you're changing channels directly with the STB, aren't you? This is why you get the delay, though 5 seconds sounds like a long time, should be 2 or 3 seconds.

But I digress...

The most efficient way to change channels (or look at the guide/info whatever) is to use a data cable between the STB and PC. I'm not familiar with your box but should you not have this option available then a USB-UIRT would do the trick.

Remember, when watching programs with Sage, you are actually watching a recording. That is to say that the image on the screen is about 2 to 3 seconds behind the actual feed into the STB because it comes off of your HD. This is how we timeshift afterall. When you send a command directly to the STB it does indeed change right away, at that moment, but...Sage is recording...this is exactly what it is supposed to do, thus the delay.

By utilizing a data cable or blaster of sorts, the PC actually commands the STB to change channels, this allows for near instantaneous channel surfing and will be more to what you expect.

If you are currently using a data cable or blaster, then never mind, you already know all of this.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:25 AM

Many thanks. No, I am not using any cable. I'll try what you propose and report back for assistance if I am not able to make it work.
Again,. many thanks.

Miguel
Old 10-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Sage User

BTW, Miguel

You may have better luck posting questions like these in the hardware support sections.

Good luck.