SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Sage Icon

Exclamation Fanless PSU ... Hmmm ...

Have any of you Sagers tried this PSU?

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=silverstonepsu_1

For sure this would be the quietest and pass the WAF ....

Thanks, T.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

Although I haven't tried the PSU, I did want to point out that reliability is a factor to consider. While many of the newer chips and such can operate at higher temps, the still need good cooling.

In this case, sure they added larger heat sinks so they don't need a fan for the PSU, but what happens to the cooling of the rest of the computer components without a PSU fan drawing air thru the case?

From my view point, the PSU fan noise is the least amount in my systems, but then again I do have at least 3 other fans just for cooling the case (not to mention the CPU, graphics card, etc. fans inside).

Now, if I were to change everything else to water cooled inside, then maybe I'd worry about the PSU fan noise.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I've got mixed feelings about such a PSU, on the one hand, fanless would be great (silent), but then, as mls pointed out, what about the rest of the PC? You still need to cool it somehow, that probably means fans of some sort.

Personally, I think for most, the 120mm quite PSUs are the best choice right now:
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/seas...ertornado.html
I've got a 300W Fortron with a 120mm fan and now the HDDs and maybe my Radeon 9500 are the loudest components in my HTPC.

Of course the fanless PS could probably work, and you could probably maintain silence if you went with something like this to cool the rest of the PC
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/zalm...r-cooling.html
Old 10-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Personally, I think for most, the 120mm quite PSUs are the best choice right now:
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/seas...ertornado.html
I've got a 300W Fortron with a 120mm fan and now the HDDs and maybe my Radeon 9500 are the loudest components in my HTPC.
I have a Fortron in one of my PCs also, the 350 model with the 120mm fan. When it's cool, it's very quiet with the fan at the lowest level. However, when warmed up, it's not that quiet anymore.

So I opened it up and pried the thermister that controls the fanspeed a little away from the heatsink. Yeah, I'm probably giving up some of that PSU's lifespan but that computer is really quiet now.

It's running a 9700pro with the Zalman ZM80c with a 92 mm fan on the side of the case blowing on it (running with a Zalman fanmate & on 7 volts), plus a 80mm Stealth fan in the rear on 7 volts, and an Arctic cooler tc cpu cooler. It's not my htpc, but I can hardly tell when that computer is on.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks all ...

I figued since the fanless PSU got such a good review someone might have actually tried it. However, it apprears you all question it's ability ... Oh, and I get it that it's more that the PSU ... Case and CPU fans make noise as well ...

T.

Last edited by mightyt; 10-05-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:09 AM
SageTVaholic

My only concern is that since the PSU doesn't have a fan, it won't offer any cooling for the rest of the system. Sounds like a great PS, I may even try one in my next PC, just make sure the rest of your system is cooled somehow.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
My only concern is that since the PSU doesn't have a fan, it won't offer any cooling for the rest of the system. Sounds like a great PS, I may even try one in my next PC, just make sure the rest of your system is cooled somehow.
Point taken ... PSU and other fans ... less noise plus good cooling ... Both are important ...

Thanks, T.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to remmy925 Send a message via AIM to remmy925 Send a message via Yahoo to remmy925
Unhappy

I would probably suggest against a fanless PSU myself. Most of those are intended for PCs like Mini ITX PCs(small form factor with low power requirement and low heat dispersal). The PSU is one of your most powerful fans in the computer. The new form factor BTX is designed to make the most use of airflow. One way it does that is by changing the location of the powersupply so it pulls more air over parts that are notoriously hot. Although fanless sounds great you would have to increase the fans elsware to compensate. No win situation.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy925
The PSU is one of your most powerful fans in the computer...No win situation.
Almost, I'd have to agree that generally the most powerful, and loudest fan in the case is in the PSU. By eliminating that, you've gone quite far toward your goal of silence. Plus it's much easier to replace case fans with quiet ones, than PS fans, or at least I'm much more comfortable replacing case fans than messing with something pre-engineered (you'd think there was a reason they put a fan that big in there).

I know I'm definitely leaning toward trying one of those fanless PSs and pairing it with one of the Zalman Reservator fanless water cooler. Just have to investigate if the Reservator can handle a GPU and CPU, no point going silent water cooling if you still need a fan in the PC.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Fanless PSU

I use this PSu and Iám quite happy with it. Very quite!! ) Db and relative low tempature in the case
I use the silverstone case LC01 with two small 6 cm fans running at half speed. connected these between the +5 and +12V so in net effect they get +7 Volt

Temp in case is 30 C and Procerssor run around 40 C

So I like it
Old 10-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Sage Icon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemse
I use this PSu and Iám quite happy with it. Very quite!! ) Db and relative low tempature in the case
I use the silverstone case LC01 with two small 6 cm fans running at half speed. connected these between the +5 and +12V so in net effect they get +7 Volt

Temp in case is 30 C and Procerssor run around 40 C

So I like it
Willemse ... Thanks for the info ... Are your 6cm fans case fans? Do you also have GPU and CPU fans?

T.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Fans/Fanless PSU

Following is the "fan Configuration" I use:
The 6 cm fans are mounted at the rear of the Silverstone LC03 case. I modified case by adding one 6 cm fan hole at the rear of the case.
Also a fan is used on my Collermaster typ CP5-8JD1F-OL. This is a low cost model with 8 cm fan. The cooler is although low cost (Eur 12.-) is silent. The fan speed of this one is lowered by Zalmann controller. FYI the fan runs at 1800 rpm. Standard without the Zalmann controller 2400rpm.
In addition is there a 8 cm fan mounted at the front bottum of the LCO3 case, however this one is currently not active as temperture in my case is low enough. CPU temp runs at 25 9start-up) upto 40-45 in operation. Case temp is typically 10-5 C lower.

You may want to visit the HTPC site for revieuw on the Silverstone case in which also the fan modification is discussed. It also has a review of the Silverstone fan less PSU

Goodluck