SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Sage User

Direct Show filters error

Hey,
I've searched around the forums for a while trying to find an answer to this, but no luck so far. Basically, at seemingly random intervals sagetv will give me the following error:
Quote:
There was a direct show filters error in playback. Details: Unable to find the MPEG2 outpin on the capture filter for encoding setup Errcode=0x80004005
It doesn't seem to matter which mpeg 2 video decoder I use (my choices are either cyberlink video/SP decoder, ffdshow mpeg-4 video decoder, intervideo video decoder, and dvd express video decoder) I've also tried to change the video renderer settings and it doesn't seem to matter whether I choose default video renderer or VMR9. My other settings:

DXVA mpeg default,
DXVA deinterlacing default

I am using a Haupaugge usb-pvr2, my graphics card is ATI mobility radeon 9000. I can record just fine using winTV but I'd much prefer to use sage. I initially thought it had something to do with watching a recording while recording something else, but the problem happens even when I'm not doing that. I next thought it had something to do with me watching a video in WMP and it not releasing the overlay, but even if i just open sagetv and leave it running over night trying to record something, the error will still pop up. argh. can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:12 AM
SageTVaholic

It's the encoder, not the decoder.

Sounds like a flaky USB bus or something of that sort.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to BerrantRyke Send a message via AIM to BerrantRyke Send a message via Yahoo to BerrantRyke
I had the same problem using the USB-PVR2. I pulled that encoder and added two more PVR-250 (PCI) cards and the problem went away.

Somehow ,IMHO, the USB tuner was causing my problems.
Client1: HTPC Case, GF8500 Fanless Video Card, P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, MSI 945GM3-F Main Board, 500w Silent Modular Cable Power Supply. Connected to 37" LCD HDTV by VGA cable. 2.1 Speakers for sound. Running SageTV 6.1.9 with SageMC + Google Calender (WAF 9.5/10)
Client2 & 3: MediaMVP's with SageMC
Old 09-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Sage User

I have a laptop, so I can't use PCI card. I use my USB for a number of other things as well, and it seems to work fine. Does it matter which USB port I plug the tv tuner into?
Old 09-22-2004, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Do any of these other things use the USB2 bus as heavily?

Have you tried pulling all of the other USB devices to see if that fixes it?

Do you have USB 1.1 and 2.0 devices on the same bus?
Old 09-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Sage User

I do have things that are usb heavy. I have a usb sound card attached, a mouse, and a usb-uirt. they are all usb 2.0. could that be causing the problem? thanks for your help, btw
Old 09-22-2004, 04:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
could that be causing the problem?
I think it would be worth experimenting by pulling all of those devices and seeing if the problem goes away. If so, then at least you know what to focus on. Obviously SageTV is going to be a little crippled without the usb-uirt, so that might be the first one to add back.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Sage User

OK, I will try that. The problem is im not sure exactly what I can do to reproduce the error. I suppose I can just leave it on and see if it happens again, but I wouldn't be positive that it was fixed.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Sage User

update: just tried only leaving the tv tuner plugged in. still got the error. argh. any other ideas?
Old 09-22-2004, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

USB controller driver update?
Old 09-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to BerrantRyke Send a message via AIM to BerrantRyke Send a message via Yahoo to BerrantRyke
If you eventually solve this, please share the how... I tried everything I could think of. Even tried making it a network encoder and still noting worked. *sigh*
Client1: HTPC Case, GF8500 Fanless Video Card, P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, MSI 945GM3-F Main Board, 500w Silent Modular Cable Power Supply. Connected to 37" LCD HDTV by VGA cable. 2.1 Speakers for sound. Running SageTV 6.1.9 with SageMC + Google Calender (WAF 9.5/10)
Client2 & 3: MediaMVP's with SageMC
Old 09-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Sage User

here are my laptop components: http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/n...ectedType=5660

but i don't see anything about what type of usb controller I have so I wouldn't know where to start looking for an update. I don't see any updates to it on the sager main page. anywhere else i could look?

Last edited by Pennywise; 09-22-2004 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Device Manager will give you some details.

start / settings / controlpanel / system / hardware / devicemanager / universal serial bus controllers
Old 09-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Administrator

There's always the standard question too: is java up to date?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Sage User

I just changed it so that it was only recording to my C drive as opposed to my external firewire. Just got this error, I think for the first time:

Quote:
There was a mpeg-2 video error in playback. Details: Failed connecting video stream to the overlay mixer
Also the redraw rate on my second monitor (that i use to watch Sage) was moving slowly for a bit though it seems fine now.

My usb info:
USB Composite Device 5.1.2600.0
USB Root Hub 5.1.2600.0
USB Root Hub 5.1.2600.0
USB Root Hub 5.1.2600.0
USB-UIRT Device
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller Version: 5.1.2600.0
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller Version: 5.1.2600.0
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller Version: 5.1.2600.0

Java: Hmm not sure about this. I use firefox so I always have a little trouble with java sites. How do i check my java version?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I think that's a separate problem. The recording process and the viewing process are quite divorced from each other in SageTV. Ignoring your overlay mixer issue for the moment, the problem you're dealing with in this thread is with your capture device and the recording process in SageTV.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Gosh, I just started using Firefox. Which java sites are giving you trouble?

P.S. You might look deeper into device manager, at the properties of each of those USB devices, to figure out which drivers and which hardware devices are in your laptop.

And of course, get yourself current with the JVM as Opus4 suggests, if you haven't already.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Sage User

I can't think of any sites specifically, but it just seems in general its a little flakey. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Let's see, my control panel java plugin thingy says i have Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.2_03

From waht i could tell on the mozilla site, this is the most recent version available. http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html There is also a note about how firefox can't use microsoft java VM but i don't know if that is relevant
Old 09-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Sage User

I take that back, I just ran the java program from my control panel and there is an update available. I'm updating it now. It also seems that java wasn't set to be used with firefox, for some reason, and when I try to set it to be used with it it doesn't work. It is giving me an error saying: Unable to change browser settings. Please check that Mozilla is properly installed on the system and/or that you have sufficient permissions to change system settings.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Administrator

You might want to uninstall the current java version first -- every time I do an auto-update, it leaves both version installed.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.