SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Sage Expert

Question about padding

So I just now started using stop time pads of 1 min and I'm noticing that some of my other recordings are getting cutoff. What I just saw was that the program that is first in my favorites manager got cutoff (by this i mean started a minute late) because of something further down the list.

This leads me to many questions about teh padding, but basically I was wondering if ppl knew how to control it and how it decides when to pad.

What i'm thinking is that at some point, I said ALWAYS record "TV Show" and if thats the case, how do I reset that. I think I chose that because it looked like in the conflicts manager, they were going to cancel the recording because of the padding. Does Sage prevent a whole recording because of a minute of padding?

Please tell me where to find all these settings specifically. I've been looking for it for some time now.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Administrator

I always thought that padding would cause a conflict with another show when they overlapped & unless you had 2 tuners, only 1 of those shows would get recorded due to the conflict. However, there is a property setting to remove the padding for favorites that are aired back to back on the same channel.

Do you mean that there was a show with padding that recorded, including the padding, & then another favorite recorded after that on another channel, but it started recording late due to the previous show's padding? I don't think that is correct behavior, so if that is actually what it is supposed to do, I've forgotten about it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Sage Icon

Is it possible that you padded the beginning of the show that started a minute late the wrong direction by 1 minute? Did you set the Start Padding to (1 minutes later) instead of (1 minutes earlier)?

Side note: maybe in a future release that can be changed to minute(s) intead of always saying minutes.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Sage Expert

I guess my last reply didn't take

It is how you described it Opus. I have two favorites recording back to back and the first one has a stop pad of 1 minute and the second one started recording 1 minute after it was originally supposed to. I have no start pads on anything.

When you say properties setting, do you mean in teh properties file? I'll take a look at it when i get home.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:13 AM
SageTVaholic

That almost sounds like it might be a bug, it seems to have happened to me as well (can't remember for sure).

Is this what you're describing?

show A immediately followed by show B
Show A has X minutes of ending padding
Show B has no start padding
Show B starts X minutes late

I don't think that's supposed to happen, and if it is, I don't think it should happen that way.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Sounds lke it might be a bug to me too. I have avague memory of someone mentioning some sort of padding problem quite a while back, but I don't remember the details. Especially if you can get this to consistently occur, I would submit it to Frey as a bug & see what they say about it.

Oh -- be sure the 2nd show really did start recording late, as opposed to the recording starting on time, but the broadcast started early.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:36 PM
SageTVaholic

happens to me all the time as well

never knew it was a bug though
Old 09-08-2004, 05:07 PM
SageTVaholic

If it's not a "bug" I think it probably should be. IMO it should ether drop the padding as expected, or raise a conflict. IMO, recordings (Favorites/Manuals) should never be changed automatically (except for removing padding).
Old 09-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Echoing my echo comment in another thread just now...

Funny... I was just about to say that I wasn't 100% certain it was a bug, but it doesn't seem like it ought to work that way to me.

If you can confirm that is exactly what is happening, I would submit it to Frey & see what they say.

- Andy
Old 09-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Sage Expert

Well, here's why I know its for real and possibly intended. Show B (the second show), when you look at the time bar, it shows red for the first minute it didn't record (indicating its not there).

Now, while you guys are saying its a bug, i don't know if i necessarily have a problem with this being an option. Say, for instance, I want it to record a South Park followed by a baseball game. I'd much rather it record the South Park and lose the first minute of the game than for it to show up as a conflict and tell me that i can only record one or the other.

The problem with it right now is that I'm afraid (possibly because of some Override thing I inadvertantly selected), that any show that comes after South Park will have the 1st minute chopped off.

I will go ahead and submit it as a bug though.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Sage Expert

Oh, and I did look in the properties file and there is a setting:

remove_padding_on_back_to_back_favorites=true

While you would think this would be the answer, mine was already set to true. And just to clarify, both Show A and B were favorites. Ideally, since Show B was a higher favorite than Show A, they should remove the padding and if the reverse were true, they should keep it. But maybe thats asking too much
Old 09-08-2004, 08:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Just to be clear though Show B has no start padding but Show A has end padding correct?

In that case (IMO):
with "remove_padding_on_back_to_back_favorites=true"
The padding should be removed from A since A and B are back to back favorites
with "remove_padding_on_back_to_back_favorites=false"
A conflict should be raised, perhaps with options to remove padding, start late,.

One more question, are both favorites on the same channel? I ask because IIRC, if the favorites are on different channels the don't qualify as Back to Back, and should conflict (not 100% sure about that though)
Old 09-08-2004, 09:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
One more question, are both favorites on the same channel? I ask because IIRC, if the favorites are on different channels the don't qualify as Back to Back, and should conflict (not 100% sure about that though)
yeah it is not true
I have seen this as well

where padding would be removed even when on different channels

it is funny
I never really kept track of it
but I know SageTV will use either option

cut the beginning of a show and other times remove padding

I can try to watch for it to happen but it does not happen that often

kind of like the time SageTV did not record like four shows on one channel one evening just weird

ghosts in the Computer.....

(I, Robot)
Old 09-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Sage Expert

Yeah, what kny said. Its definitely not happening all the time and I guess it hasn't shown up as much as I originally thought. I didn't realize it, but I have padding on lots of shows and most of them show up without padding because most of them are followed by more favorites.