SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

System running sweet - Then Crash & Burn

Got all of the kinks out of my system and had it runnimg sweet for 3 days then dissaster hit. I watching a pre-recorded show when all of a sudden the client froze. Checked the server and it was pegging the cpu at 100%. Re-Booted the server and the system went to 100% straight away, several reboots gave the same result. With great pain & patience I managed to get the task manager open and found that a Sage Service was the guilty party (I have it set to start on boot). Terminated the Sage service and the PC went back to normal.

Removed Sage and re-installed. Same problem as soon as I re-booted. So I moved all the setup files out of the Sage directory and started sage again, Sage booted just fine although now I had lost all my settings.

Now to the client, started the client and the video was jerky as hell. Checked cpu usage and it was pegging at 100%. Tried changing the decoder etc. to no avail. Removed client and re-installed, same results. removed Sage again and this time blew away the directory.

Installed again. Now the client will run but I have all kinds of decoder issues. The Elecard decoder I was using and ran at about 35 - 45% CPU using VMR and dscaler now runs at 65 - 80 % CPU using Overlay, VMR pegs it. The default, cyberlink and Intervideo decoders on Overlay are running around 30 % but all have green flecked horizontal lines all over the screen, and is unwatchable..

Help please ????

Update: A reboot of the client solved the problem with the green lines on the other decoders. VRM is still pegging.

Last edited by trevorst; 08-30-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:19 PM
SageTVaholic

are you connecting wirelessly to the client

if so try wired
I could not get smooth playback via wireless although some say that have

personally I think BS though

uninstall ffdshow and the green lines should be gone

and make sure whatever you are watching the video on is set as primary monitor
Old 08-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am not using wired on this client, although I do have another client that runs very smooth over 11G. I don't think FFDShow is loaded on the client but as I stated a reboot cleared the green line problem. Only issue I have left is the high CPU usage now when I use VMR9 that did not happen prior to the server crash.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Well personally running Wireless G 54MBPS

and cannot get smooth playback
I am guessing this is your problem with choppy video and 11MBPS is not going to be fast enough

VMR9 uses more CPU usage than overlay or VMR7 sorry
using DXVA which elecard does not support should help but it is still more CPU intensive than the other renders
Old 08-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Sage User

FWIW, I'm watching smooth TV over 802.11G in the client right now... Not bragging or anything, I just don't think it's fair to say peeps are BS'ing when they say that.

Regards
Old 08-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverBullet
FWIW, I'm watching smooth TV over 802.11G in the client right now... Not bragging or anything, I just don't think it's fair to say peeps are BS'ing when they say that.

Regards
I think it may depend on what your recording quality setting is and most likely also your CPU speed. I am no expert, just my feeling.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Sage Icon

Recording quality 2GB/hr 802.11g in all cases plays back smoothly on my setup and two of my friends who I have also setup with Sage. My one friend has the client running on a P3/700 Thinkpad and has no issues. No BS here either.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Administrator

kny3twalker: Haven't you noted in the past that you have other radio interference in your house/apartment? That would explain why you don't have much luck with wireless, while others report that they have.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah
But I guess am I jealous
Sorry

and I record at 4.25GB/hr and 3GBVariable/hr for animation
Old 09-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Sage User

Unhappy

I have experienced similar freezes of 100% client CPU usage for up to a minute. I have 4 clients on a 100meg wired network using 2.0.20 server and clients. I have not had time to track it down yet. Happens watching recorded shows as we don't do much live tv.

The clients are AMD XP 2400, 384M, 40G drive, Radeon 7000 and up graphics, and XP home.

The server is AMD XP 1800, 256M, 60G and 250G drive, Radeon 7000 VE, and XP Pro.

Any ideas?