SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by nielm
(what have I let myself in for!)
Lots of fun??? This is supposed to be fun, right??

Now get to work!!

Seriously, Thanks for the effort

Jim
Old 09-15-2004, 06:35 AM
Sage Icon

Niel,

Yes..... my delete problems are coming from mlbdude's old 2-pane version.

Also another thing I've noticed..... using the same mlbdude old in your stv sometimes the recording screen will show nothing in both the show title box (left side) and one or more individual episodes (right side).

This happened when I upgraded one of my clients to your stv. The episode of "joey" had no show title or episode title, just blanks. Same with one episode of "The Apprentice". The other episode showed up normally.

hmmmm.....
Old 09-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Sage Icon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome! Kudos to nielm

Quote:
Originally posted by nielm
2 changing the internal menus 'back to xxx' descriptions
I might go through and change everything to 'back'

3. Inconsistent Menu Title Fonts on Archived SageTV recordings
Ah, I see. I will have a look at this -- most likely iit is a bug in the Original STV that I inherited

4 Upcoming Recordings on the Main Menu cuts off date/time
I know the issue... and will rephrase my answer -- the widget I reuse for displaying upcoming recordings is the same one that is used everywhere else, and it expects to have the full screen width... Because it has less than the full screen width, things get squished more than they should... I will look into it.

10. Sage Logo as back button
It (and the Home key) takes you back to the last dynamic menu page viewed... Pressing it again takes to to the top level main menu.

** Hmmm … I thought the silver left arrow next to the Sage Logo took you back one level and the Sage Logo itself was always a way to get home (main menu)?? So, I guess what you are saying it the arrow and logo have one and the same function, correct?

Not quite.

If you used the 'Guide' button to get from video to Guide and press the '<' button, you will go back to the video screen. If you press the [Sage] button, you will go back to the last dynamic menu page used.
Similarly, if you go: 'top level main menu -> Schedule recordings Submenu -> search menu -> search for program -> view results -> view airing' , '<' will take you back one step in the above list while [Sage] will take you back to the Schedule Recording submenu.

If you are in a dynamic menu page and press the '<' button you will go up one level (or to the OSD if you are at the top level) If you press the [Sage] button you will always go to the top level menu.

Its a bit inconsistent, but I did not want to make too many changes in the OriginalSTV outside of the bits that I have added
Thanks again Niel ...

2 / 4 - Appreciate the consideration ...

3 - Appreciate the consideration ... BTW, Just and FYI, this didn't happen in MlbDude2 ...

10 - Ah, I understand ... Actually this isn't really an issue for the server since the remote is my main source of navigation. It's more for the client side. What you said makes sense, I guess I just have to purge my brain from looking at the Sage logo as Home (Main Menu). You konw what happens when you get mentally stuck on stuff like this ...

Oh ... you say "(what have I let myself in for!)"

Well ... obviously you started a ruckus here! ... and then you cracked one of the most desirable Sage limitation workarounds ... customizable menus ... then you added some of the best of the best form you partners' STV's. Now Niel .... did you not expect all this excitement?? I still haven't forgiven you for teasing us with your STV and then leaving town for 2 months, I mean weeks!!! Lastly, I guess you hadn't heard that you, along with MlbDude, Malore and Salsbst have been inducted to the new Sage Hall of Fame!! Wasn't it all worth it? ... Speech, speech!

SORRY! I meant to also include Opus in the HOF for outstanding MalDude achievement as well!!

and finally

I know, I'm out of control ...

Thanks, T.

Last edited by mightyt; 09-15-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Sage Expert

Is the SAGE logo "back button" accessable with a REMOTE CONTROL?

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 09-15-2004, 09:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by broderp
Is the SAGE logo "back button" accessable with a REMOTE CONTROL?
you mean the [<] arrow button next to the sage logo: yes, if you configure the remote to send the 'back/previous page' command, or ALT-LEFT keystroke...
The [Sage] logo itself sends the Home command (== Home key)

Last edited by nielm; 09-15-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Sage Icon

Just started trying out your stv, and am very impressed. kudos!

Thank you very much for your contribution. This is absolutely everything I am looking for (short of commercial detection !

Any thought on if you will implement commercial detection? Is there a way that I can do it myself, via editing your xml w/ known parameters?

I appologize for the lazy question, but i figured that someone would probably be able to give a quick yay or nay. Then Ill hit the wiki

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Selecting a different background image.

I have been unable to set a different background image. I can see that mightyt has successfully done so, so I think it shopuld be possible.

I found the sage.properties parameter and edited it as follows:
ui/background_image=C\:\\Program Files\\Frey Technologies\\SageTV\\spices.jpg
but nothing seems to change. I have completely exited Sage while editing this file. The desired graphic is a jpeg with the above name and location.

Any help with what I am missing here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynn
Old 09-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Sage Icon

Re: Selecting a different background image.

Quote:
Originally posted by ellweber
I have been unable to set a different background image. I can see that mightyt has successfully done so, so I think it shopuld be possible.

I found the sage.properties parameter and edited it as follows:
ui/background_image=C\:\\Program Files\\Frey Technologies\\SageTV\\spices.jpg
but nothing seems to change. I have completely exited Sage while editing this file. The desired graphic is a jpeg with the above name and location.

Any help with what I am missing here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynn
It's easier than you'd think Lynn ... and didn't require a mod to the properties file.

Within folder "C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\STVs\OriginalV2" you will find a file called "Background1024.jpg".

I took several of my favorite background photos and opened them in my MS Digital Image Pro software. I saved them with the following parameters;

* Pixel Dimensions = 1024x768 (W x H), and
* Resolution = 96 pixels per inch

Whenever I want to change my background I just copy one of those JPG's in to that folder and rename it to "Background1024.jpg".

Once you restart Sage, there it is ...

BTW, I keep the original Sage background and my alternates in a folder under the OriginalV2 folder as well for easy future access when I get board with the one I am looking at.

Enjoy … T.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

thanks

Thanks T,

That did the trick! Doesn't seem to be sensitive to the resolution or size of the image.

Lynn
Old 09-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Sage Icon

Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by ellweber
Thanks T,

That did the trick! Doesn't seem to be sensitive to the resolution or size of the image.

Lynn
Yep ... The reason I went with 1024x768 is because the original indicated that to me in its name. I went with 96ppi just to keep the file size and graphic refresh rate down, and as with web graphics, no need to use large amount of pixels if I am not printing the jpg ...

Glad you now have a custom personal background!!

T.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Administrator

In case you are curious, a ppi setting is completely irrelevant when talking about a specific resolution size of an image, unless you are actually going to print it. A 1024x768 image at 96 ppi is the same as a 1024x768 image at 2 ppi or 5000 ppi: 1024 pixels x 768 pixels. The ppi setting simply tells the print process what size to print the image at.

Anyway, SageTV is scaling whatever image you give it to fill the space it was told to fill. If it is a background image, you will notice that it still fills the background whether you are running in a tiny window or full screen.

Sorry for the interruption. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
In case you are curious, a ppi setting is completely irrelevant when talking about a specific resolution size of an image, unless you are actually going to print it. A 1024x768 image at 96 ppi is the same as a 1024x768 image at 2 ppi or 5000 ppi: 1024 pixels x 768 pixels. The ppi setting simply tells the print process what size to print the image at.

Anyway, SageTV is scaling whatever image you give it to fill the space it was told to fill. If it is a background image, you will notice that it still fills the background whether you are running in a tiny window or full screen.

Sorry for the interruption. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

- Andy
Hmmm ... Doing some web authoring in the past we had some professional digital photos taken. Our provider went with the lower ppi stating that that is what would be preferable for screen refresh. It appeared to make a difference than when compared to the others with greater pixel depth. I assumed that a Sage background would be treated similarly, thus it would be less taxing with a lower ppi. Nonetheless, if it all works then I guess it doesn't matter much.

This is only a test ... For the next 60 seconds the EBS will be ... Bla, Bla, Bla ...

Thanks, T.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Maybe your provider didn't know what they were talking about, or else they conveyed the meaning in a poor manner. PPI only makes a difference when you are talking about the size of the image in terms of some measurement, such as inches. So, an 8" x 10" image at 240 ppi is 1920 pixels x 2400 pixels, while at 96 ppi it would be 768 pixels x 960 pixels. If you are talking about the pixel size of the image, ppi is irrelevant -- it is just a setting to say what physical size the image would be if it were to be printed or displayed in a program that scales it according to the ppi setting. Example: if you load an image into MS Word & display it at 100% size, it will be scaled on the page to match the pixel size divided by its ppi setting, thus it is preparing it for its printed size. Oh -- and I might be wrong, but as far as I know, IE doesn't scale by ppi setting. It can be set to scale an image to fit the screen, but that is different.

If you want more details about how ppi affects images, its relationship to a printer's dpi, etc., PM me. Trust me: not all pro photographers know what ppi is & how it affects their images. I know some who only think in inches for image sizes, so ppi means everything & the # of pixels seems irrelevant to them. They are still good photographers, though. I'm guessing your provider was thinking in inches, so _resizing_ the image using a lower ppi setting made the pixel count/file size smaller. Simply setting ppi w/o resizing won't change the number of pixels or the file size.

I really didn't mean to get too sidetracked here; my goal was to let you know that 1) the ppi setting doesn't matter here & that 2) SageTV will scale the pixel size to fit its current display size.... and used waaaaay too many words to say it!

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
I really didn't mean to get too sidetracked here; my goal was to let you know that 1) the ppi setting doesn't matter here & that 2) SageTV will scale the pixel size to fit its current display size.... and used waaaaay too many words to say it!

- Andy
Not at all Andy ... Apparently I was misinformed ... That's what I love about this forum ... You get the straight scoop!

Appreciate the info ... Will PM you for more ...

T.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just wondering... I lobe the skin and made my own Menu but the only thing I can't get working is MAME. I know not too many people use it, but does anyone know how to add it back in. I managed to get it into the menu but when I click on MAME it says it can't find it.
I'm not too familiar with XML so how would I go about adding in the right code?
Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by phantomfsoc
Just wondering... I lobe the skin and made my own Menu but the only thing I can't get working is MAME. I know not too many people use it, but does anyone know how to add it back in. I managed to get it into the menu but when I click on MAME it says it can't find it.
I'm not too familiar with XML so how would I go about adding in the right code?
Thanks
Well, I'm not much of a gamer, but added all of the menu options to my XML file, using their Internal Screen Names from Nielm's web page.

http://www.sage-community.org/~nielm...v/screens.html

I added "Arcade Games - TEST" this way. Note, I used the weather icon just as a place holder to ensure it worked.

<internalScreenMenuItem
title="Arcade Games - TEST"
icon="STVs\OriginalV2\mlbdude\Default\mm_weather.png"
screen="Arcade Games - TEST"/>

FYI, when I click this menu item a blank screen comes up, but I don't get an error.

I am sure others will comment .... T.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Sage Icon

Question Live TV Menu Item

Since I have set up my client system with Nielm's STV I have completely customized the menus to my liking. Only one thing I can not figure out ...

How to I create a "Live TV" menu item? I don't see anything on the "Internal Screen Names" list, nor on the "Controlling SageTV Using Windows Messages" list that I can use. So what do I use to execute this as an XML menu item? I used to be able to enable this on MlbDude2 via the properties file on the main menu and now I have to go to the Guide, click a show and then Watch Now ...

Any thoughts?

Thanks, T.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Re: Live TV Menu Item

Quote:
Originally posted by mightyt
How to I create a "Live TV" menu item?
ActionMenuItem sending the sageCommand "Live TV":
Code:
<actionMenuItem
  title="Live TV"
  icon="STVs\OriginalV2\mlbdude\Default\mm_epg.png">
  <actionList>
    <sageCommand command="Live TV"/>
  </actionList>
</actionMenuItem>
Old 09-21-2004, 07:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Version 1.3 update

Ok... some time later... here is version 1.3:

You need to download:
the updated STV zipfile
the updated Java classes
and if you have not yet installed the Mlbdude2 STV, you will also need to download the updated icons file

Some of the additions are untested -- CC and commercial skip: I don't use these myself, but added them by popular demand... I hope they work, but I guess I will find out soon enough if they don't.

On with the release notes...

V1.3 -- 21 Sept 2004
Bugfixes:
  • Main menu rec-schedule: corrected clickability.
  • IMDB search corrected to search airing name
  • Malore menus font size handling fixed
  • Malore menus options dialog fixed
  • Fixed menu title font on archived recordings menu
  • In Weather screens, STOP button/CloseFile command takes you back to the main menu
  • Reworked upcomming recordings widget to make date/time have more room
  • Java update: corrected minor bug in rss newsreader (HTML not decoded correctly)
New Features:
  • Auto-Adjusting number of displayed main menu items (between 6/7 and 9/10 (depending on whether recording schedule is visible)
  • new menu "Upcoming Favorites by malore" added
  • Closed captioning by malore added (UNTESTED)
  • commercial skip by malore added (UNTESTED)
  • Added First run logo to airings (icons zipfile update)
  • added "Easy Search - Title" to main menu internal screens
  • added "Easy Search - Person" to main menu internal screens
  • added "Easy Search -- All" to main menu internal screens
  • added "Easy Search -- Description" to main menu internal screens
  • Added mlbdude menu: "BrowseByStation CSM"
  • Added mlbdude menu: "SageRecordings w/ Optional Preview & AutoCategories Two Pane Vert CSM"
  • Added mlbdude menu: "SageRecordings w/ Optional Preview & AutoCategories Two Pane Hor CSM"
  • Added mlbdude menu: "Upcoming Movies - CSM"
  • Added mlbdude menu: "BrowseByCategoryTitle by CSM - New"

Last edited by nielm; 09-21-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

My Vote this November in the US elections:

nielm for President!

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix