SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:17 AM
SageTVaholic

On the font issue, I must completely defer to Niel since it's a look and feel thing.

On #7, I'm working on a big deadline for work, so I won't be able to look into it just yet. A day or two more, I'd say. All I was going to do was try to understand why the menu says "Weather" at the top in your first screenshot, and then switches to "Weather Report Suite" in the second screenshot. It's the fact that it only says "Weather" that makes me suspect it's not WRS. I've yet to actually see Niel's STV in action, and I honestly don't remember whether WRS starts out saying "Weather" and then switches to "Weather Report Suite".
Old 09-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
On the font issue, I must completely defer to Niel since it's a look and feel thing.

On #7, I'm working on a big deadline for work, so I won't be able to look into it just yet. A day or two more, I'd say. All I was going to do was try to understand why the menu says "Weather" at the top in your first screenshot, and then switches to "Weather Report Suite" in the second screenshot. It's the fact that it only says "Weather" that makes me suspect it's not WRS. I've yet to actually see Niel's STV in action, and I honestly don't remember whether WRS starts out saying "Weather" and then switches to "Weather Report Suite".
Not a problem. Work always comes first ...

Also ... I think there is some confusion here. It's not what you think ...

Nielm's STV has 2 Weather menu items to select from. One called "Weather" and the other "Weather Suite".

See screens shots he provides ...

http://www.sage-community.org/~nielm/nielm_stv/

I believe "Weather" provides you direct access to what is similar to forcast in WRS. I believe it is the MlbDude2 Weather viewer based upon the bullet items on the web link above.

My problem reflected in the screen shots I provided in an earlier post reflect that the second menu item in Nielm "Weather Suite" comes up fine and "Weather" now hangs. That is the problem with "Weather".

Outside of that WRS had a few bugs which I noted earlier.

Some there ya have it ...

Have fun on your project ....

Thanks, T.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for clarifying that. BTW, now I see why everyone is using the name Weather Suite instead of Weather Report Suite... oh well, perhaps the Grateful Dead are best forgotten and I should just move on.

Anyhoo, I just went back and reread your word doc. Along with the issue of the wrapping of the word Precipitation (which is on my "list"), in #8, you say:

Quote:
Weather [Report] Suite -- I was able to set it up to show my location via zip code and can see Local Conditions, National Conditions, Forecast, etc. But, when in Local Conditions, I am missing the Area Radar and Metro Radar buttons? Not sure why??....
There may be a mismatch in your xml config between the locations and the rotan elements. Here's an example of a locations element:

Code:
	<locations	>	
		<location
			name="Winterville"
			label="Winterville">
			<weathersourceinfo id="28590"/>
		</location>
	</locations>
Note the name attribute of the location element.

And here is a submenus element:

Code:
		<submenus 
			label="Local Conditions" >
			<currentconditions 
				label="Local Info"/>
			<rotan 
				label="Local Doppler"
				view="metro"
				local="true"/>
		</submenus>
Note that the rotan element has an attribute local="true". This means the rotan element labeled, "Local Doppler" is configured as a local animation. The view name for this menu is "metro".

Now take a look at the rotan configuration section:

Code:
		<view name="metro" location="Winterville" speed="750" delay="3000" maxage="0.25">
			<layer type="image" href="http://pinpoint.ecu.edu/radar/rad.gif" imageType="gif"/>

</view>
Note that there is a view the location of which is "Winterville" and the name of which is "metro". If there had not been a view configured to match both the view name and the location, then that submenu item would be hidden when the user selected Winterville as the current location. The theory behind this is you may have a location of interest for which you don't have all the animations. For instance, I grew up in New Haven, CT and so I configured New Haven as one of my locations. However, there is no such thing as a metro radar for New Haven. Hence, in my config, I marked the "metro" sumenu item as local, and didn't supply a view with the name of "metro" and the location of "NewHaven".

I think this is what is happening to you. BTW, it's case sensitive.

Lastly, have I now noticed and comment on all of the issues/bugs you reported in WRS? (I'm can be a bit scatterbrained -- see reference to musical tastes above.)

Thanks,
Stuart

P.S. The work-work project stinks. There are a lot of HTPC projects I'd rather be doing, very difficult to focus.

Last edited by salsbst; 09-08-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that. BTW, now I see why everyone is using the name Weather Suite instead of Weather Report Suite... oh well, perhaps the Grateful Dead are best forgotten and I should just move on.

Anyhoo, I just went back and reread your word doc. Along with the issue of the wrapping of the word Precipitation (which is on my "list"), in #8, you say:

I removed some Quote Text to save thread space - MightyT

Lastly, have I now noticed and comment on all of the issues/bugs you reported in WRS? (I'm can be a bit scatterbrained -- see reference to musical tastes above.)

Thanks,
Stuart

P.S. The work-work project stinks. There are a lot of HTPC projects I'd rather be doing, very difficult to focus.

Thanks for the quick reply!! ... I know you are busy ... I will check out your recommendations to see it that is the problem with WRS ...

So, I guess I am realizing you can not comment on why my Weather item is not loading since it appears to be an MlbDude2 plug in inside of Nielm's STV ...

I guess I agree on work projects ... I'd also say this HTPC stuff doesn’t feel like real work ...

Keep on keeping on ... Jerry would be proud!!

Last edited by mightyt; 09-10-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome! Kudos to nielm

Quote:
Originally posted by mightyt

7. Weather Feed Locks Up Sage – I am not talking about Weather Suite here. When the Weather menu item is selected, it says it is loading, but just hangs SageTV. There is no way to break out, I have to close Sage and launch it again. Any thoughts?

On #7 ... I have attached a JPG with both screen shots. It appears that it is not WRS ... Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but let me tell you anyway.
I have a similiar issue.. Except mine doesn't lock up. It just sits there and does nothing except say loading.... I can break out by hitting giude or something like that.. What is that weather button supposed to do? My zip is 01519 if that matters....

My weather suite works fine, though....

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Sage User

Might you consider adding commercial skip from Malore?

EPIA M10000
PVR 350 (No putput)
USB-UIRT
Svideo out from EPIA (looks as good as 350 did!)
256meg RAM
Windows XP Pro
WD 200 gig
Old 09-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome! Kudos to nielm

Quote:
Originally posted by jbuszkie
I have a similiar issue.. Except mine doesn't lock up. It just sits there and does nothing except say loading.... I can break out by hitting giude or something like that.. What is that weather button supposed to do? My zip is 01519 if that matters....

My weather suite works fine, though....

Thanks,

Jim
Ok.. I got it working...
I think because I never had MLBDude loaded it didn't have the getweather module. So I grabbed the weather.com extractor here
and followed the instructions. Then I needed to grab the weather icons from MLBdude2 and with a llittle necessary tweaking, it worked.

A note about the weather button needing MLBdude's stuff might be nice to have somewhere in the documentation (or is it there and I missed it?)

Thanks for all the great work that everyone has put in!!

Jim

Edit: fixed thread link

Last edited by jbuszkie; 09-10-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Sage Icon

Unhappy Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome! Kudos to nielm

Quote:
Originally posted by jbuszkie
Ok.. I got it working...
I think because I never had MLBDude loaded it didn't have the getweather module. So I grabbed the weather.com extractor here
and followed the instructions. Then I needed to grab the weather icons from MLBdude2 and with a little necessary tweaking, it worked.

A note about the weather button needing MLBdude's stuff might be nice to have somewhere in the documentation (or is it there and I missed it?)

Thanks for all the great work that everyone has put in!!

Jim
Hmmm .... I had MlbDude2 installed with the GetWeather plug-in installed. See extract from my properties file below;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

mlbdude/weather_exe=\\STVs\\OriginalV2\\MlbDude\\GetWeather.exe

mlbdude/weather_exe_java=false

mlbdude/weather_file=\\STVs\\OriginalV2\\MlbDude\\Weather.txt

mlbdude/weather_provider=www.weather.com

mlbdude/weather_url=http\://www.weather.com/xml/ext/

It did work with the MlbDude2 STV!!

Then I installed Nielm over MlbDude and it just hangs there in the loading state??.

BTW, I tried changing "false" to "true" above, but that didn't work either.

FYI, Here is my XML menu call for Weather;

<internalScreenMenuItem

title="Weather"

icon="STVs\OriginalV2\mlbdude\Default\mm_weather.png"

screen="Weather Menu -- CSM"/>

Lastly, you are right ... I can also click the Sage Logo to go back to Main Menu. Before trying that I thought it locked and just right-clicked Sage in the task bar and closed it.

But, bottom line ... I still can not load MlbDude2 Weather in Nielm. Got me?????

Thanks, T.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

mlbdude/ weather_exe=\\STVs\\OriginalV2\\MlbDude\\GetWeather.exe

Oh... Is that space real in the weather_exe thing?? or was that an artifact of copying? I don't think the space should be there..

Try using the weather.com extractor. It's a little different. There is no weather.exe. It's a batch file with two other files. It runs the batch file which loads the data from weather.com to a text file.
then the weather module parses the data from the file. But you have to change some of the properties. The instructions are easy enough to follow...

The other thing you might try (which I don't know if it has been mentioned) but look at your actual file names. Are they case sensitive? Is the file really called GetWeather.exe or is it getweather.exe. Also the Weather.txt.. Is it weather.txt? In the other thread where I got the weather.com extrator (here) I think I saw something mentioned about case sensitivity..... Maybe Niel's is case sensitive where MLBdude's wasn't?

I never found the weather.exe because I never installed mlbdude2 so I just got the weather.com extractor. but I think our issue was the same. It can't find the weather unit...

Jim

Last edited by jbuszkie; 09-10-2004 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Sage Icon

Talking BINGO !!! Weather Works !!!

jb ... nope there was no real space in the properties file. Must have been to copy / paste.

However, I have some good news ... I just saved a bunch of money on my insurance .... Sorry, couldn't resist! Too much SageTV ... really need ComSkip ...

Anyway, the real good news is while looking for the space in my properties file and stepping through the reinstall of "GetWeather" I found two problems ...

1- mlbdude/weather_exe=\\STVs\\OriginalV\\MlbDude\\GetWeather.exe

should read ...

mlbdude/weather_exe=\\STVs\\OriginalV\\MlbDude\\GetWeather.bat

thus BAT, not EXE ... ??? Don't ask!

2 - Then I noticed in the Getweather readme that there was no;

mlbdude/weather_url=http\://www.weather.com/xml/ext/

Not sure why this was there??

So, I remarked it out and BAM! Weather works!!

Now, I have both Weather and WRS working on Nielm over MlbDude2!!! All i have left to do for weather is try the suggestions Salsbst recommended for WRS.

THANKS!, T.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to Cornelp
RSS News Feed

Really nice STV you built. I like most of the options, but I can't get to work the RSS News Feed, don't know why.

I add the news websites news.yahoo and news.com.com and I cant get any of the information, I get error message.

Failed to read from news source http://news.yahoo.com/rss
org.gnu.stealthp.rsslib.RSSException: Expected "</MEAT>" to terminate element starting on line 5

I tried to add news.yahoo.com and news.yahoo.com/rss and will not work.

When I add news.yahoo.com/rss I get this error:
Failed to read from news source news.yahoo.com/rss
java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: news.yahoo.com/rss

Can anyone help me with this, please?

Also, when I see the upcoming recordings, I try to click on the show to get the info about the show, but nothing happens, but when I click on the LOW LEFT part of the box, I get the information. Is this normal, or just my computer?

Thank You.

NOTE: The STV is really really good, specially the main menu.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Sage Icon

-sorry, I answered my own question

-another edit, its late...just so no one is curious, I asked if anyone can post an example of their menu.xml file so I can see how to run external programs...but I found the info out on the wiki page after some searching--good stuff there.
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC

Last edited by JUC; 09-10-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

There may be a mismatch in your xml config between the locations and the rotan elements. Here's an example of a locations element:

Code:
	<locations	>	
		<location
			name="Winterville"
			label="Winterville">
			<weathersourceinfo id="28590"/>
		</location>
	</locations>
Note the name attribute of the location element.

And here is a submenus element:

Code:
		<submenus 
			<currentconditions 
				label="Local Info"/>
			<rotan 
				label="Local Doppler"
				view="metro"
				local="true"/>
		</submenus>
Note that the rotan element has an attribute local="true". This means the rotan element labeled, "Local Doppler" is configured as a local animation. The view name for this menu is "metro".

Now take a look at the rotan configuration section:

Code:
		<view name="metro" location="Winterville" speed="750" delay="3000" maxage="0.25">
			<layer type="image" href="http://pinpoint.ecu.edu/radar/rad.gif" imageType="gif"/>

</view>
Note that there is a view the location of which is "Winterville" and the name of which is "metro". If there had not been a view configured to match both the view name and the location, then that submenu item would be hidden when the user selected Winterville as the current location. The theory behind this is you may have a location of interest for which you don't have all the animations. For instance, I grew up in New Haven, CT and so I configured New Haven as one of my locations. However, there is no such thing as a metro radar for New Haven. Hence, in my config, I marked the "metro" sumenu item as local, and didn't supply a view with the name of "metro" and the location of "NewHaven".

Thanks,
Stuart

OK Stuart ... I hope you are on the other side of your work project so I can ask some dumb questions!! ... I gave it the ol'college try and thought I followed your directions... So, here is what I did ...

I went to the Accuweather site for the following "Area" and "Metro" Maps for the LA vicinity ...

http://radar.accuweather.com/adcbin/...R1&nxsite=kRIV

and

http://radar.accuweather.com/adcbin/...asp?nxsite=vny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I viewed the source on the maps and pasted the follow in to my weatherconfig.xml using Pittsburgh as a template.

<view name="metro" location="LA" speed="750" delay="3000" maxage="0.25">
<layer type="animation" name="base" href="http://sirocco.accuweather.com/adc_nxmos_640x480c/re2/inmremr_vny.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="roads" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/metro_layers/roads/vny_6x4_roads.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="cities" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/metro_layers/cities/vny_6x4_cities.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="road markers" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/metro_layers/markers/vny_6x4_int.gif" imageType="png"/>
</view>
<view name="area" location="LA" speed="750" delay="3000" maxage="0.25">
<layer type="animation" name="base" href="http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nxss_r1_h_500x620d/r1h/inxr1kvcvs_h.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="roads" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/radar_layers/roads/kvcv_roads.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="cities" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/radar_layers/cities/kvcv_cities.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="road markers" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/radar_layers/markers/kvcv_markers.gif" imageType="png"/>
</view>

I made sure the Location Element was there ...

<locations >
<location
name="LA"
label="LA">
<weathersourceinfo id="92324"/>
</location>

And it appeared the Rotan Elemant was already set ...

<currentconditions
label="High-Level Info"/>
<rotan
label="Area Radar"
view="area"
local="true"/>
<rotan
label="Metro Radar"
view="metro"
local="true"/>
</submenus>

After saving the xml file, I launched Sage and selected ¡§LA¡¨ in WRS using the "Change Location" button. After that I selected the "Local Conditions" button and this time the "Area Radar" and "Metro Radar" buttons did show up ƒº ... but ... ƒ¼ and you knew the but was coming ... when either button was selected, I just got a "Loading, Please wait ..." and nothing appears ¡K no maps??

Is there something obvious I am missing??

Thanks a lot!, T.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:05 AM
SageTVaholic

MightyT, I'll take a moment to look at your situation if you post your xml file (the thing that's probably named weatherconfig.xml). Just tack a .txt extension on the end of the file and post it to the forum.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Sage Icon

Talking THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
MightyT, I'll take a moment to look at your situation if you post your xml file (the thing that's probably named weatherconfig.xml). Just tack a .txt extension on the end of the file and post it to the forum.
Thanks bro, I really appreciate it ... Here it is ...

T.
Attached Files
File Type: txt weatherconfig.xml.txt (19.8 KB, 151 views)
Old 09-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

LAX weather config

T.

Here is what works for me for the Los Angeles area. Hope it is of some help.

Lynn

<view name="metro" location="LosAngeles" speed="1500" delay="3000" maxage="0.25">
<layer type="animation" name="base" href="http://sirocco.accuweather.com/adc_nxmos_640x480c/re2/inmaremr_vny.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="roads" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/metro_layers/roads/vny_6x4_roads.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="cities" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/metro_layers/cities/vny_6x4_cities.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="road markers" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/metro_layers/markers/vny_6x4_int.gif" imageType="png"/>
</view>
<view name="area" location="LosAngeles" speed="1500" delay="3000" maxage="0.25">
<layer type="animation" name="base" href="http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nxssa_r1_h_500x620d/r1h/inxr1klaxa_h.gif" cropbottom="0.225806452" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="roads" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/radar_layers/roads/klax_roads.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="cities" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/radar_layers/cities/klax_cities.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="road markers" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/radar_layers/markers/klax_markers.gif" imageType="png"/>
</view>
<view name="ir" location="LosAngeles" speed="1500" delay="3000" maxage="0.25">
<layer type="image" name="base" href="http://wwc.stormdisplay.com/images/AWSRadars2/bug_ir/145/satellite0.jpg" imageType="jpeg"/>
</view>

Note: this includes the Infra Red map from WeatherBug
Old 09-12-2004, 10:06 AM
SageTVaholic

I was just about to say that I think the problem is that you specified a non-animated image for the animation layers.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

ok, so I am back... and there are 12 pages of 'new' posts, and 4 new pages in this thread... Looks like I have some reading to do

I will try to give an update early this week (in between recovering from the flight unpacking, looking after the wife+baby, compressing/watching all the movies I recorded .. oh yeah, and catching up with 'real' work )

Re comskip -- I have not looked at how it works, so I have no idea how easy it would be to extract it from malore's stv and put it in mine... I also do not use it myself so it is not high on the priorities list...
Old 09-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Sage User

Good to see you have your priorities straight....

If you hate commercials you will wonder why you even bothered to watch TV once you have a commerical free environment using comskip... This was the main reason I traded up from my Tivo to Replay. Thanks

EPIA M10000
PVR 350 (No putput)
USB-UIRT
Svideo out from EPIA (looks as good as 350 did!)
256meg RAM
Windows XP Pro
WD 200 gig
Old 09-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by nielm
Re comskip -- I have not looked at how it works, so I have no idea how easy it would be to extract it from malore's stv and put it in mine... I also do not use it myself so it is not high on the priorities list...
I really want to use the features this stv has to offer, but I just can't give up comercial skip now that I've been using it for so long. I love it too much! But I really want xml based menus and everything else you've done. Looks great!