SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Sage Icon

Are there any features of 2.1 that will break the nielm STV? Or am I safe upgrading to 2.1? (There's NO way I could get everyone here to switch back to the default STV now, they are way to used to this one ).
Old 10-14-2004, 02:47 PM
SageTVaholic

My STV will run on 2.1, but as mentioned elsewhere, I am waiting for 2.1 to get out of Beta to release any 2.1 specific STV stuff.

If you do use my STV with 2.1, then some of the new 2.1 features will not be available ...
Also in a few places things will not work properly (setting DVD decoder/renderer for instance)...
Old 10-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Sage Icon

Just wanted to make sure I didn't throw a fox in the henhouse here at the house. Everybody would be ready to kill me if I messed up their TV .
Old 10-14-2004, 04:37 PM
SageTVaholic

nielm STV update V1.6 -- 14 Oct 2004

Probably the last update before I start porting everything to the 2.1 STV...

This update needs new Java classes and the new STV

Bugfixes:
  • Fixed bug in mlbdude sage recordings showing preview if Video preview == never
  • Included bugfix from salsbst where WRS got stuck on an image
  • Allowed disabling of background commercial processing without needing to restart Sage
New Features:
  • Added ability to set the frame rate (required for commercial skip) (detailed setup->enhancements)
  • Improved screen saver: smooth movement, fading, truly random, user-customisable image (Properties file: nielm/screensaver_logo)
  • Added ability to set default padding for new favourites/manual recordings (detailed setup->enhancements)
  • Added new internal screen name: "Setup Wizard - Summary Page"
  • Integrated IMDB search (internal screen name "Imdb Search"), linked from file/airing detailed info pages
  • Enabled shadowing on text of WRS

The Auto add Padding feature only works on new records/new favourites, and it is disabled by default -- go to detailed setup/enhancements to set the paddings... I really need this because many of my channels are +/- 5 minutes by late evening, and its a real pain when you miss the last 5 mins of a movie!

If anyone can get the local IMDB database tools working on win32, please let me know as I would prefer to use those... I have got them to compile with minor changes, but as far as I can tell, they create corrupt DBs and then crash with stack overflows!

Last edited by nielm; 10-14-2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
[*]Included bugfix from salsbst where WRS got stuck on an image
thank you nielm, salsbt

EDIT: Didn't want to post back to back.

WRS: Sorry to report but I'm still getting the same problem. Not to belabor the point and try to describe the whole thing, but basically, if I scroll through the menus, I will still get stuck on a menu I didn't click on, even with my delay set really high.

IMDB: WOW! So so so cool. Implementation looks outstanding so far. Love the included screens, love everything about it.

Last edited by abasu2003; 10-14-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Sage Icon

JUST when I thought your STV couldn't get any better, you go and add all the IMDB stuff. EXCELLENT .
Old 10-14-2004, 08:49 PM
SageTVaholic

I will be the first to try out the 2.1 version when it is ready

should I need to keep my old version up-to-date, will it be based on the same ideas and format,etc?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Sage Expert

So this has happened twice now and I only saw it after I installed the 1.6 update to the STV.

I can't remember, but I think both times this happened, a show had just started recording. At least the last time, I came out of the screensaver, hit the quick button to "Sage Recordings" to find this. I have my default recording schedule set to mlbudude's 2 pane horizontal, so thats what you are looking at.

The menu went back to normal when i brought up the options and changed one of the settings. Don't know if you're really fixing things anymore, but just thougth i'd let you know

EDIT: And as long as i'm mentioning things:

IMDB: When you initially go to a show's IMDB page (internally within SAGE), no info is displayed in the first screen and I thought it was still loading the info. if you move to a different menu and then go back, then the info is there. it looks like the info only loads if you move out of the menu and move back in and won't load at all if you just sit at that menu. Extremely incidental, but just thought i'd mention it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif untitled.GIF (120.5 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by abasu2003; 10-14-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Sage Icon

Exclamation

Niel ... Just an FYI ... This doesn't matter much to me, but the is some screen garbage showing up on WRS Sponsored Links in 1.6.

See jpg attachmant ...

T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRS Error in 1.6.jpg (137.9 KB, 217 views)
Old 10-15-2004, 02:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
WRS: Sorry to report but I'm still getting the same problem. Not to belabor the point and try to describe the whole thing, but basically, if I scroll through the menus, I will still get stuck on a menu I didn't click on, even with my delay set really high.
The fix I included was for the animated image bug that you discussed with salsbst, not a navigation issue (unless I am getting confused)
Old 10-15-2004, 02:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Niel ... Just an FYI ... This doesn't matter much to me, but the is some screen garbage showing up on WRS Sponsored Links in 1.6.
Odd... because the text is static... Something internal to Sage must be getting confused by the (c) symbol.. Do you also get this at the bottom of the forecast/current condition pages?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
IMDB: When you initially go to a show's IMDB page (internally within SAGE), no info is displayed in the first screen and I thought it was still loading the info. if you move to a different menu and then go back, then the info is there. it looks like the info only loads if you move out of the menu and move back in and won't load at all if you just sit at that menu. Extremely incidental, but just thought i'd mention it.
It should load in the background (it gets cast lists and ratings first before displaying the info, then gets image, bio, summary, trivia, quotes and locations in the background) and redraw each time something has been retrieved... how long did you wait?
Note: It will continue to load in the background even if you leave the screen, and it keeps an internal cache of a few...
I have also noticed that IMDB can be intermittantly very slow, but the next time you go there, very fast!
I have also noticed that some shows don't have summaries...

Last edited by nielm; 10-15-2004 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
I will be the first to try out the 2.1 version when it is ready
should I need to keep my old version up-to-date, will it be based on the same ideas and format,etc?
The formats of my configuration files (menu.xml weatherconfig.xml news.dat) will remain the same... Some of the internal screen names in the menu.xml may need to be changed, but hopefully very few of them...
Old 10-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Sage Expert

WRS: Oh I see. I already got the fix from salsbt from the other thread so I guess thats still working.

IMDB: I waited a long time actually. The thing is, if i go to another screen and immediately go back to the info screen, its always there. granted, the picture isn't always there, but the info is. Its jsut that when you first go to an info page, and if you had an inclination to just sit on it, i don't think you would get it. just my experience. maybe you have to send another redraw command or something.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

I'm guessing the new screensaver is on smooth-scrolling by default. I noticed today that if it's scrolling, it uses at least 30% CPU, but at the main menu, the usage drops to almost nothing. Guess that's something to consider on lower-speed proc machines?
Old 10-15-2004, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
I'm guessing the new screensaver is on smooth-scrolling by default. I noticed today that if it's scrolling, it uses at least 30% CPU, but at the main menu, the usage drops to almost nothing. Guess that's something to consider on lower-speed proc machines?
It uses 5-10% in my EPIA M10000 (PIII 600Mhz equiv).. are you sure it was sage using that CPU..
I will reduce the framerate tho (sorry, didn't make it customisable!)
Old 10-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Sage Icon

Yep, Sage was at the at the main menu (no video running), and the smooth scroller was using around 30%. I just checked (it's on the machine I'm using now), and it's using anywhere between 24-31% at the moment with the SS up. As a side-note, sitting at the main menu with nothing going on, sagetvclient runs at 0% (as it should I guess).

Last edited by heffe2001; 10-15-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Odd... because the text is static... Something internal to Sage must be getting confused by the (c) symbol.. Do you also get this at the bottom of the forecast/current condition pages?
No sir ... Looks OK on the bottom of Local Conditions and Weather Forecasts ... ??? Got me ...

Also weird ... all WRS text is shadowed in 1.6 except for these reference to weather.com.

Like I said, not a big deal to me, just an FYI to you ...

Thanks!!, T.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
There is now a wiki for this STV where supplemental information can be added.

The source code for the java classes can be found at
http://www.sf.net/projects/sageplugins/

If anyone wants to make a GUI for building the menu XML (it is beyond my java skills), the sagemenu java classes already contain code for writing their own XML, so 'all' you need to build is the GUI front-end for editing them
Sweet! I only just saw this!

I'm a Java geek by trade so perhaps. However, I'm more interested in extending the existing user interface than providing a tool to edit the interface.

I've been editting your menu.xml manually, since I've just discovered it today, to tweak the menus for my wife. Mostly, I've changed a few menu names but also removed a few items and added a couple of new ones to launch web browsers at particular sites -- including one that I'm adding for myself to go straight to the forums. Who needs bookmarks?

What I'd really like is to get a handle on the underlying XML API that powers your STV so that I could possibly do more interesting things.
SageTV Client, Shuttle SN41G2V2, Athlon 2500+ XP Barton, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, ATI9600 128MB, Linksys 802.11g, Win XP Pro, Sonic decoder
SageTV Client, Shuttle SN41G2V2, Athlon 1200, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, Linksys 802.11g, Win XP Pro, Sonic decoder
Old 10-17-2004, 04:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleight42
What I'd really like is to get a handle on the underlying XML API that powers your STV so that I could possibly do more interesting things.
The sources are in sourceforge -- see the link at the bottom of the webpages. but you are unlikely to be able to change much (the only thing left do in java is the helper classes for a filebrowser module)