SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Sage Icon

Question Screen Refresh Issue

Anyone ever have this problem??

LiveTV in the upper right box at the main menu ... You right click to see the options menu, then close it. The option menu disappears except for what overlapped the upper right box playing LiveTV. See attachment ...

BTW, I am using Nielm's STV, not sure if this happens with all STV's.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks, T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Refresh Issue.jpg (138.2 KB, 192 views)
Old 10-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Sage User

Suggestion

I use and LOVE your stv! Great work by all of you studio users, but I have a simple feature request... When deleting a recorded show, the context menu ask's "delete & set watched" or "delete & clear watched". Can you add "delete & set don't like" or something like that? I'm trying to get IR to stop recording Reno911. I already posted a question about IR in the main sage sw forum, but still think a "delete and never record this crap again" option would be useful addition to your stv.

Also I am currently prefering the malore style view for recordings since it shows much more info at once, but I wish there were a colored first run icon (like in mlbdude) so I can quickly pick out the first runs from the reruns. A small colored icon for CA scanned files would be cool as well.

Hell while I'm at it, my remote ran out of buttons to configure. Is it possible to redefine custom4 and custom5 to act as REW2 and FF2 in the event that CA is not tagged on the file? That way a single button on the remote can do double duty: skip the commercial if a CA scan was run on the recording, and jump 2 min (or whatever) if the CA data is not available.

I originaly set out to ask a simple question but it turned into a bit of a wish list, sorry about that.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Sage Icon

Sheehs now that is a long read. After reading this and the comskip thread I'm still having problems on my client with compskip and nielm.stv

Both work on my server, I have changed to unc paths and rebooted/restarted everything. When I check my videos directories, they both say they are UNC paths. The log file created by comskip list them as the old D: path.

On my client when I play a show that has a matching .txt file created by comskip, I don't see the markings in the OSD, and custom4 and custom5 don't do anything. I also cannot run comskip on my client, it just says comskip failed to run. I set the neilm_debug_comskip = true and tried it, to get a messege that says it completed in 0 seconds. Obviously it did not do anything.

Heres hoping that someone can provide some debug help for me.

BTW, both machines server and client run XP Pro, the client is SP2 the sever SP1.

thanks,
Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
Both work on my server, I have changed to unc paths and rebooted/restarted everything. When I check my videos directories, they both say they are UNC paths. The log file created by comskip list them as the old D: path.

On my client when I play a show that has a matching .txt file created by comskip, I don't see the markings in the OSD, and custom4 and custom5 don't do anything. I also cannot run comskip on my client, it just says comskip failed to run. I set the neilm_debug_comskip = true and tried it, to get a messege that says it completed in 0 seconds.
As Jere said in the other thread, it sounds like you have a paths problem...

Look at the detailed info for a file, in the bottom of the info is the path to the MPEG file. This is what Sage will pass to comskip for commercial detection, for playback, it will replace .mpg with .txt and try to load the commercials file.

Try and access this path directly from your client (in a cmd prompt or an explorer window) and see if your client can see the files directly. You may just have a sharing/permissions problem, or some files may still have D: instead of UNX paths.

(the client does not need to see the *video* files directly, but comskip does, and the client needs to see the .txt files directly for reading the commercial breaks..)
Old 10-08-2004, 12:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Anyone ever have this problem??

LiveTV in the upper right box at the main menu ... You right click to see the options menu, then close it. The option menu disappears except for what overlapped the upper right box playing LiveTV.
I ocaisionally see it too with my and with other STVs... Its either a gfz driver prob, or a sage core prob..
Old 10-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Sage Icon

nielm,
You are correct. I had a show record last night and it does show the path as my UNC path and the comskip works. The other shows still have the D:\ paths in the detailed info section. Is there a way to have the server update this detailed info on already existing files? I have removed the D:\ path from the video directory listing, but all my pre-existing recordings still show that path.

thanks!
Old 10-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Sage Icon

Nevermind, I found it over in the faq.

I had to move the files to a new video directory, then Sage refound them all and they all have the correct paths.

thanks,
Old 10-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Sage Expert

Finally switched over...and for the people who are on the fence about it because of xml, I have to say, its really REALLY easy. Got EVERYTHING configured in 2 hours (and those hours were 2a.m.-4a.m.).
Initial thoughts:

-I followed the commercial detection thread a while back but was wondering if they/you are going to implement an icon that tells you if a show has been commercial detected?

-the WRS suite works fine but occasionally, my screens are unnecessarily changing. I did what was said in the wiki and changed the delay to 20 minutes but for some reason, the National Forecast keeps stealing the screen, even if I just move over it on my way to another screen. Also, it gets confusing sometimes trying to figure out (within that screen) what I am selecting and what is being selected. Both are denoted by a white highlight bar. Usually, what is selected has no bar, but is just in a different color (which you also have).

-I know you went over autosizing the text size in menus, but I'm wondering if there is a way just to get rid of it altogether or have that option to get rid of it altogether. I'd like to have a junk menu where I can put a bunch of miscellaneous menus in there but I want to be able to read it.

-is the background image hardwired to "background1024.jpg" somewhere? I looked for it in sage.properties but i see no reference to it and this seems to be the image it is using.

Really great STV though. Newsfeeds are an amazing idea. Webpage popups work great. one component short of gold

Last edited by abasu2003; 10-11-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
-the WRS suite works fine but occasionally, my screens are unnecessarily changing. I did what was said in the wiki and changed the delay to 20 minutes but for some reason, the National Forecast keeps stealing the screen, even if I just move over it on my way to another screen. Also, it gets confusing sometimes trying to figure out (within that screen) what I am selecting and what is being selected. Both are denoted by a white highlight bar. Usually, what is selected has no bar, but is just in a different color (which you also have).
Whatever you focus on is selected by the menu. There is a configurable delay for how long you have to be focused on an item before it is considered to be selected, after which time the new panel of information will begin to load. It sounds like you might want a longer delay. It also sounds like you might be confusing the data download delay with the navigation delay.

A design goal was to minimize the number button presses required to navigate the menu, hence use of the delay, rather than requiring that you press a button to indicate that you are affirmatively selecting an item.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Sage Expert

hmm. I guess I understand a bit more clearly now why there is a delay. However, I am still having a problem and it sounds to me like it might be a bug.

<weatherreportsuite
navigateDelayMilliseconds="20000"
imageScaleWidth="1.0"
units="s"
weatherSourceMaxAge="0.25">

Using this, I still have problems with the National Forecast being selected unexpectedly. I'm calling it a bug because the problem doesn't seem to happen for any other screen that I settle on. Particularly, (and I used the default menus), if I move right to left on teh top menu bar from change location to local forecast, I get "stuck" on National Forecast (meaning that screen gets displayed, I can still select local forecast after that). It sometimes happens going left to right, but not as much.

I hope that clarifies
Old 10-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Sage User

Main menu font

Is there a way to fix the size of the main menu? I would rather have a larger font and scroll the choices versus scaling the font down to fit all them menu items on the main page... Is this possible?

EPIA M10000
PVR 350 (No putput)
USB-UIRT
Svideo out from EPIA (looks as good as 350 did!)
256meg RAM
Windows XP Pro
WD 200 gig
Old 10-11-2004, 12:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
hmm. I guess I understand a bit more clearly now why there is a delay. However, I am still having a problem and it sounds to me like it might be a bug.

<weatherreportsuite
navigateDelayMilliseconds="20000"
imageScaleWidth="1.0"
units="s"
weatherSourceMaxAge="0.25">

Using this, I still have problems with the National Forecast being selected unexpectedly. I'm calling it a bug because the problem doesn't seem to happen for any other screen that I settle on. Particularly, (and I used the default menus), if I move right to left on teh top menu bar from change location to local forecast, I get "stuck" on National Forecast (meaning that screen gets displayed, I can still select local forecast after that). It sometimes happens going left to right, but not as much.

I hope that clarifies
I've never noticed or heard of this problem before. If you'll post your entire weatherconfig.xml file I'll take a look at it tonight. Is the problem 100% reproduceable, or does it only happen sometimes?
Old 10-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Sage Expert

Ok. So after trying to reproduce it, this is what I deduced. This only happens whenever I scroll "through" something. In one instance, I kept hitting down when i was looking at my Change Location screen, scrolling through the cities, and the focus got stuck to the city on the bottom. Scrolled through it again, it got stuck to the one on the top. I think I was essentially scrolling through the top menus, and something similar was happening where it would just get stuck on, I guess, the last menu I scrolled through.

I hope this makes sense. But just to be sure. If I had a list

A B C D E

And I continually hit right so that the selector marker was moving from A to B to C ,etc, once it got to E, it would actually select E, before moving the marker to A. I think this is the heart of the problem. This happened for vertical and horizontal scrolling. There is something wrong I guess in the way that it jumps from teh end of a list to the beginning of the list. Please feel free to PM me about this, I don't think i was very clear.
Attached Files
File Type: txt weatherconfig.xml.txt (20.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 10-11-2004, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

There is an extra delay set, IIRC, when you hit the 'change locations' menu. This is because we need to ensure that you really meant to change locations before the location is changed. If you can be even more specific about the navigation path that you are following (not abstract it out with the a,b,c stuff) and where you feel it is getting stuck in error, then I'll be better able to either find the bug or explain why it is working the way that it is.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Sage Expert

I'd much rather PM you about this since I feel stupid having failed at describing my problem twice already, but maybe third time's a charm.

ok. here's the issue exactly as i have played around with this for a while.

The top menu is:

"Local" "National" "Forecast" "Change Location" "Sponsored Links"

Now, the first screen by default is "Local" and "Local" is highlighted. Now, if I repeatedly hit the "right" button, the screen shouldn't change, but I should be able to "scroll" (meaning changing the highlight) through the top menus. This is what happens, EXCEPT, when I get to "Sponsored Links", it scrolls to the beginning ("Local"), but the screen changes to "Sponsored Links." Now, if I keep scrolling to the right again, its fine except now, the screen changes when I get to Local. Notice, I am not hitting enter at any time.

This is generally the problem. If i go through a horizontal or vertical list like this, if there as an instance where I have to move from the far right end back to the far left end (or bottom to the top), it acts as if I selected the end menu.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:09 PM
SageTVaholic

There may be an issue with the way that the Sponsored Links screen is appended. I haven't really studied that section of the code. This would not explain the fact that you are having similar issues with the up/down navigation of the submenus that appear on the left, though.

I will try to play around with it tonight, but have a bunch of work-work that may interfere.

I'd like to keep discussion out in the open so that everyone can follow along and contribute to finding a solution. Please don't feel stupid! It's not easy to explain this stuff nor easy to understand it. I'm sure we're both trying!
Old 10-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Sage Expert

haha. well I think you have the idea now anyway. But, again, it has nothing to do wtih specific menus or specific lists. I can duplicate it with any menu at any time. For instance, lets say I selected "Change Location." Then if I scroll to the right, like above, it will automatically select Forecast, I believe. So there is something specific to the way it handles scrolling through a list (in relative, not absolute terms).

edit: I think i went too far overgeneralizing the problem. Basically, if i keep my hand on the right button, left button, top button, down button, I randomly get one of the menus to get selected. Sometimes its the last menu, sometimes the one right before the one i started on, sometimes the one right after the one i started on.

anybody else having this problem. Just try to scroll through your menus as fast as you can and see if you don't get undesirable behavior.

Last edited by abasu2003; 10-11-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
if i keep my hand on the right button, left button, top button, down button, I randomly get one of the menus to get selected. Sometimes its the last menu, sometimes the one right before the one i started on, sometimes the one right after the one i started on.
It seems logical to me that if you hold the button down for a while and then let up, and if you don't have a throttle on your remote control processing, then it will be difficult to guess where you will land when you let go. Am I yet again misunderstanding you?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Sage Icon

Exclamation Here ya go ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid
Is there a way to fix the size of the main menu? I would rather have a larger font and scroll the choices versus scaling the font down to fit all them menu items on the main page... Is this possible?
Yep ... Just add this to your menu.xml file.

<menu title="My Media Center">
<option>DontScaleItems</option>
<option>showrecschedwidget</option>
<option>showdiskspacewidget</option>

Note: You need the Nielm 1.5 STV. Version 1.4 and lower do not support turning off auto scaling menu text.

After making this setting change, just adjust your font settings to your liking in the "Sage properties" file.

BTW: Here's another reference ...

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&postcount=297

Enjoy ... T.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Sage Icon

Question Font Question for Nielm

Mr. Nielm ... Sir ...

I posted a question about fonts and WRS in this thread some time ago and did discussed it with Salsbst. He stated you would have to provide this ability ... See links below ...

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&postcount=117

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&postcount=118

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&postcount=120

This took place while you were away ... and I think it fell through the cracks ... So, I figured I would ask again ...

Can the WRS text be changed to reflect shadowed or outlined text so it would stand out a bit better on light backgrounds?

Salsbst replied, "WRS font can be changed by Niel if he sees fit."

Your thoughts?

See lower screen shot in attachment for visual ... Thanks for the help, T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRS Fonts.jpg (306.7 KB, 169 views)