SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

This is a *great* STV overall. I'm having one really obnoxious navigation problem, though.

When I select an "internal menu" off of a sub-menu, I always go up to a default menu *before* i go up to the proper sub-menu. This happens in the original menu.XML and my modified menu.xml.

For example:

Going in (right/select): Main Menu --> Nielm Media Library --> Pictures

Going out (left): Pictures --> Original STV Media Library Menu --> Nielm Media Library --> Main Menu

This happens with many menus, and I can't for the life of myself figure out why.

Any ideas would be *much* appreciated, as I have everything else working beautifully!

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2004, 02:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
1 - How do I apply this setting?, "Added dynamic menu option DontScaleItems to limit menus to 6/7 items per page" ...
The same way as the options for showing the rec schedule and disk space bar on a menu: <option>DontScaleItems</option>
Quote:
2 - What is the difference between RSS and RSS2?
Try them
This depends on the feed... For the forums, the RSS feed has: Thread title, user, forum; the RSS2 feed has Thread title and part of the post.

Quote:
Oh, also is there and updated "Internal Screen Commands" list??
There were no new screens added in1.4, so the list is actually up-to-date (I forgot to change the date)

Last edited by nielm; 09-30-2004 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Again Nielm, you have done an amazing job. I love your skin more and more. And the commercial advance from malore seems to work absolutely flawelessly for me so far.

One of the only things still bothering me in Sage is the Jukebox. After using ITunes it just doesnt seem adequate any more. :-) Do you think there is any way in the near feature to redesign this and maybe even being able to use your itunes playlists? I'm not sure if this can be even done in a skin or if that would be something frey would need to do in the core.

Another think is the pretty basic graphics and background. Is there any way we can contribute to this? Maybe if we create some more up to date graphics? Or do you simply like the original look? If not let us know if we can supply you with graphics and what format they would need to be :-)

Wow, long threat.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotuitdan
When I select an "internal menu" off of a sub-menu, I always go up to a default menu *before* i go up to the proper sub-menu. This happens in the original menu.XML and my modified menu.xml.
For example:
Going in (right/select): Main Menu --> Nielm Media Library --> Pictures
Going out (left): Pictures --> Original STV Media Library Menu --> Nielm Media Library --> Main Menu
Yep, it annoys me too

The issue is caused by some of the the internal screens handling the 'left/previous screen' navigation themselves, and they 'know' to go back to the original submenu screen (Media library in the above example), instead of just taking you to the last selected screen (which would be a page of my dynamic menu screen in this case)...

I am reluctant to change this because I want to keep as much as possible the behaviour of the core OriginalV2 STV, and only add new screens which do not interfere with the behaviour of the originals (there are reasons for this which may become obvious in the future)... Gradually this 'design goal' has become weaker though.

It might appear in a future version depending on how annoyed I get with it!
Old 09-29-2004, 04:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarus79m
Do you think there is any way in the near feature to redesign this and maybe even being able to use your itunes playlists?
I currently don't use the jukebox (all my MP3's are VBR), so this is not something I plan to do... and I have no idea whether it will be possible to add an import playlist function -- it would depend a lot on the readability of the playlist format.
Quote:
Another think is the pretty basic graphics and background. Is there any way we can contribute to this?
I like the original look myself
The global background is changeable (its Background1024.jpg in the OriginalV2 directory), some of the other images used are in the same directory, and are changeable, the fonts are changeable in the properties file and the menu item icons are changeable from within the menu.xml...
(see the bottom of this post for an example of what can be changed...
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&postcount=157)
Old 09-29-2004, 06:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

in 1.4 if I select comskip on a show (not using malore's recordings menu) will it always do comskip on that show, or do I have to do it manually each time?

Last edited by DFranch; 09-29-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Wow, long threat.
HEY! Nobody threatens Nielm without a forum fight !!!! We need him!!!!

Old 09-29-2004, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFranch
in 1.4 if I select comskip on a show (not using malore's recordings menu) will it always do comskip on that show, or do I have to do it manually each time?
I guess you mean: If you select comm detect in the detailed info screen... In which case, it will try to run comskip.exe immediatly for that file...
Old 09-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
I guess you mean: If you select comm detect in the detailed info screen... In which case, it will try to run comskip.exe immediatly for that file...
Close, If for instance, I want all episodes of CSI to have comm skip automatically run on them, will selecting comm detect in the detailed info screen cause that to happen or, will I have to manually select comm skip each week? I have comm detect in background set to enabled.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Automated DVD Burning

Hi Nielm,

I have a suggestion that I proposed a while ago to mlbdude, but I think you could likely do this really well also. I don't think it would be terribly difficult to implement, in fact. Basically, the idea is to automate DVD burning of recorded MPEG programs.

Some folks at myHTPC.net have put this together in such a way as to simply run a command line with a target file to burn. It puts a background image in front of the screen and the user simply waits until the file is converted, encrypted, and burned. See:
http://myhtpc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7030

Ideally, I imagine this could be a simple command-line executing function executed from the left column of the screen after selecting a recording. Somewhere in the list that includes "watch", "set watched", "delete", etc, could be "burn". Burn activates the external program with the file name as the target...

Here's the original post location in the mlbdude thread...
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showpos...3&postcount=77

*Also*, but more complicated, I'd love it if we had the same menu flexibility on that left column menu as with the overall menu structure, with the equivalent of internal actions and external actions executed as an "action %1" (%1=filename) batch... Also, for my use, I'd remove a couple of the options on the left column (such as IMDB)
Old 09-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Also, External Web Browser...

Nielm,

One other suggestion: Would it be possible to allow disabling of *ALL* external browser pointers in your STV. I'm setup to load OPERA but, personally, I *really* dislike launching Web browsers on a television...

Just a thought!

Thanks so much for your hard work!

dan.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to remmy925 Send a message via AIM to remmy925 Send a message via Yahoo to remmy925
Quote:
Wow, long threat.
**possible translation*** Wow, long thread.

Dont want anyone upset at the poor guy on account of a misunderstood quote.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Sage User

Using 1.4 of your STV and comskip .31, commercial flagging is not starting automatically now. I can manually start them, however. I have the following options set in my sage.properties file:

background_commercial_processing=true
background_commercial_processing_awake=true
background_commercial_processing_ignore=
background_commercial_processing_recording=true

The only thing that I tried was turning on auto commercial skip for a while, then I later disabled it. Is there possibly a bug relating to this?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy925
**possible translation*** Wow, long thread.

Dont want anyone upset at the poor guy on account of a misunderstood quote.

<GRIN>

Yea ... knew that ... just playin'
Old 09-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oh guys, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean threat. I meant thread of course. I'm German and sometimes my english is still a little weird. lol. Sorry about that misunderstanding and thanks Remmy925 for pointing it out :-)
Old 09-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Oh guys, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean threat. I meant thread of course. I'm German and sometimes my english is still a little weird. lol. Sorry about that misunderstanding and thanks Remmy925 for pointing it out :-)
No worries ... I'm from New York and my English is probably more weird than yours ... Fa-get-a-bout-it!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
The same way as the options for showing the rec schedule and disk space bar on a menu: <options>DontScaleItems<options>

FYI ... just to avoid confusion ...

<option>DontScaleItems</option>

works better ... I did a cut and paste ... took me a minute or so to figure it out ...

And thanks for making that option happen!!

T.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm[*
(java update) Improved RSS newsreader so that it now reads the RSS2 feed of this forum[/list]
Niel ... Any thoughts on why this would happen on 1.4 ... See attachment ... #9 ...

THANKS!!! T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSS2.JPG (117.5 KB, 169 views)
Old 09-30-2004, 12:30 AM
Sage Icon

Question

Sorry ... I seem to have a lot to say today!

Niel ... Today I have Nielm STV 1.4 on my "Client". I went from MlbDude2 to Nielm 1.2, then 1.3, now 1.4. My "Server" is still MlbDude2.

so, my question is this ... On my Client 1.4 allows me to select a recorded show and appears to allow me to then select Comm Detect in the Recording Detail view of that show. Since my Server is still MlbDude2, would the show actually get Comm Detected??

With the release of 1.4 (outside of the missing mini-guide) I think I am ready to plunge my Server in to Nielm 1.4, so this will not matter shortly. But, I am still curious ...

Thanks, T.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
On my Client 1.4 allows me to select a recorded show and appears to allow me to then select Comm Detect in the Recording Detail view of that show. Since my Server is still MlbDude2, would the show actually get Comm Detected??
Comskip.exe will run on the machine where the Sage UI that started it is running -- in this case, if the client -- if comskip.exe is installed, and if it has access to the recorded file paths in *exactly* the same way as the server, eg if server's Video dir is: d:\SageVids, the same drive must be shared and mapped to the client as drive D: If the server's Video dir is a UNC path: \\Sage\SageVids, then it should be OK.

And yes, it is <option>, not <options>! Thanks for noticing that -- I have updated the docs...

Last edited by nielm; 09-30-2004 at 02:55 AM.