SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Spend my money

Okay, I am ready to spend significant money to improve my SageTV experience. I currently have:

PVR-250
Radeon 8500 using s-video out
Standard def. Hitachi TV with s-video in

I want a significantly better TV picture and dual tuners. Although... if SageTV were "smart" about padding shows, I could live without dual tuners. It should pad all shows by 1 minute whenever it doesn't prevent recording of another show. Simple feature that I have requested for about a year now.

I'm not sure if I would be happy with the "cheap" route of a PVR-350. Would it work with my 250 as a second tuner? Would it crash all the time?

Anyways, if I spend some money, any suggestions for the following?

1) HDTV capable widescreen TV with DVI or VGA input(s) in the 34"-42" range with high PC signal compatibility (768 lines or more). Doesn't need to by Plasma/LCD, but under 150 pounds would be nice (I move often) and PAL capability would be a plus. Budget $1700.

2) Second PVR card compatible with current 250 (not sure if it is 15 or 16). A 350 would be nice since I could send the s-video to the bedroom TV even if I used DVI for the living room.

3) New video card with DirectX9 accelleration and HDTV friendly DVI output.

Am I missing anything? I would like to keep the total cost at $2000 or less and compatibility and tweaking headaches at an absolute minimum.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Sage Expert

Re: Spend my money

Quote:
Originally posted by bgorrell
Okay, I am ready to spend significant money to improve my SageTV experience. I currently have:

PVR-250

I want a significantly better TV picture and dual tuners. Although... if SageTV were "smart" about padding shows, I could live without dual tuners. It should pad all shows by 1 minute whenever it doesn't prevent recording of another show. Simple feature that I have requested for about a year now.

I'm not sure if I would be happy with the "cheap" route of a PVR-350. Would it work with my 250 as a second tuner? Would it crash all the time?

I have that same video card. Try using the RAVISENT decoder that comes with the card and also adjust the color calibration. You may be shocked at quality difference. It is substantial.

Also, just pick up a 250. I've got two(soon three once I plug in my new $99 USB2 tuner) and it's a great setup. Save your money!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Re: Spend my money

Quote:
Spend my money
Can I, really! Lets see...

I'll take
1 Mitsubishi 62525
12 IBM 7k400s
1 3ware 9500s-12

Just kidding.

Quote:
Originally posted by bgorrell

PVR-250

Anyways, if I spend some money, any suggestions for the following?

1) HDTV capable widescreen TV with DVI or VGA input(s) in the 34"-42" range with high PC signal compatibility (768 lines or more). Doesn't need to by Plasma/LCD, but under 150 pounds would be nice (I move often) and PAL capability would be a plus. Budget $1700.
You're going to have a rather tough time finding anything that meets those criteria, to get 720p or greater that means a digital display (LCD, DLP, Plasma) all of which will be significantly over your budget.

You could get a CRT HDTV, no 720p, but if you don't plan on surfing, ie if you plan on using it for HTPC usage (videos, pictures, etc) 1080i is fine. Mitsubishi's have RGBHV inputs so they should play reasonably well with Computers, they probably have HDMI/DVI inputs now too.

Quote:
2) Second PVR card compatible with current 250 (not sure if it is 15 or 16). A 350 would be nice since I could send the s-video to the bedroom TV even if I used DVI for the living room.
My understanding is that the compatibility issues have been dealt with, the only ones remaining are a few with the 350's OSD.

Quote:
3) New video card with DirectX9 accelleration and HDTV friendly DVI output.
The only thing I'd recommend right now is a Geforce FX 5900 XT or better, with nVDVD 4 it looks to be killer.

Quote:
Am I missing anything? I would like to keep the total cost at $2000 or less and compatibility and tweaking headaches at an absolute minimum.
Isn't that what we'd all like
Old 08-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Spend my money

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
12 IBM 7k400s
1 3ware 9500s-12
Now _there's_ a good use of money! I'm getting really tired of losing hard drives and all the recordings that go with them. RAID 5 is sounding better & better as a good way to spend money.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

bgorrell and Stanger89,

I'd like to point out that you left out 1 display device that everyone with a reasonable to small budget should consider. That is a CRT front projector. I own an Ampro 3300, which has no trouble with HD signals, in fact it can resolve all the way up to 1600 x 1280 and throw this on a 10 foot wide screen!

It will work as small 48in wide screen, and about the only downside in this usage is weight, which is 160 lbs.

Best of all, I paid $800.00 (8 hundred) dollars for it.

In my opinion, for the money the it can't be beat. Heck, the general consensus on PQ is that the CRT projectors picture still can't be beaten by ANY LCD, DLP, or LCos projectors.

This is the way to use Sage!!!!

-PGPfan

Last edited by PGPfan; 08-24-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by PGPfan
bgorrell and Stanger89,

I'd like to point out that you left out 1 display device that everyone with a reasonable to small budget should consider. That is a CRT front projector. I own an Ampro 3300, which has no trouble with HD signals, in fact it can resolve all the way up to 1600 x 1280 and throw this on a 10 foot wide screen!
Well I left Projectors out on purpose because they don't work well for the average person IMO. You need to have reasonable light control to get good results.

As for CRT FPs, they are (or can be) a maintinence nightmare, requireing convergence, focus, calibration, best done by someone experienced. An ISF calibration could be $800 easy.

On the FP idea though, there are a number of inexpensive digital FPs out there in bgorrell's price range:

Sanyo Z2
Panasonic AE500/L500U

Both are 720p HT projectors. And if you throw in standard 4:3 XGA (1024x768) PJs there are even more.