SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Sage User

Pulling my hair out on stuttering vid

Okay guys I need some help deparately. This is my 3rd tv card, first two were usb, gave up on that quick, I now have a pvr-250. Did a install from the update web page only, did not touch cd. Things seemed great. Did some tweaks for sleep mode etc.. Anyway, got ahold of sage tv client. On my client machine things looked even better. I do no believe they are related however (it's been about a week now), my monitor started skipping video, stuttering, pixelateing etc. video seemed okay. Just out of the blue it started this. Now I have tried a comlete reinstall using hwclear and removing any instances of the stuff in the registry. Next for the hell of it I tried to install using the CD that came with it. It immediatley comes up with an ivac missing error and aborts the install, grreat CD!!! So I did it the manual way this time and still no go, stuttering tv etc. I even tried the nvdvd drivers from a fresh install, after some crashes and error I got it working but still same results freezing tv. Can anyone help point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. P.S> all the drivers I have used came off the hauppage web site for the pvr-250

my setup dell dimesion 4600, soundblater live 5.1, built in nic, 512 ram, 40 gig HD, 80 gig usb2 drive

Last edited by toolman; 08-16-2004 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:27 PM
SageTVaholic

the crashing is from you using the nvdvd audio decoder
the video decoder is fine though
also if start changing the DXVA modes not all modes are compatible with all decoders and even with the same decoder the render can also not work with certain DXVA modes

you should have the intervideo non css decoder try using that at least for an audio decoder

so render overlay or VMR9 not default (and you have to enable 3d accelaeration to use VMR9)
video decoder nvidia
audio render choose your sound card
audio decoder intervideo non css

and what type of video card do you have?

if you are using the onboard video
I would not use VMR9 and just stick with overlay
Old 08-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

I hope that I just solved my stuttering problem, but only after pulling my hair out. Over the weekend, I started having one card with a stuttering problem while the other ran fine. Things had been working pretty well, but I can't stop fussing with things. You know, there's always "better."

I had just previously updated to newer Hauppauge drivers, a few days earlier to a newer version of Catalyst, and some other things over the past few days. I moved the problem card to another slot. That finally fixed it., I think.

Defragmenting, reformatting, fussing with bus latencies, decoders, renders, all the other things that supposedly can make a difference didn't stop it.

So, I'm just guessing that it was something about the new Hauppauge driver that gave the card short shrift on the bus. If it wasn't that, it was likely because my box was just getting too darned hot (and so I took a jigsaw to the cabinet that I keep the computer in to make an even bigger vent hole.) Or, maybe, it just wants to give the illusion that I fixed something.

(My setup is a P4 2.3GHz-based system with an Intel 845-based mb, two PVR-250s, 512 ram, 80 gb PCI video storage disk, 40 gb PCI system disk, 120 gb USB drive, Prodigy 7.1 soundcard, ATI Radeon 9600XT video card, and using the Sonic CinePlayer decoder.)

By the way, is there a way to get the ffdshow to run using the Sonic driver and the VMR9 renderer? I can just get it to run with Sonic using the default renderer.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
By the way, is there a way to get the ffdshow to run using the Sonic driver and the VMR9 renderer? I can just get it to run with Sonic using the default renderer.
yeah make sonic the default decoder on the computer (either it is the last one or only one installed OR use radlight filter manager to adjust the merit of the decoder)
but I would expext alot with ffdshow and VMR9 rendering
with your computer(mine is about the same) and decoding recorded TV
you should have good resolutes with DVS though

and then edit the registry to allow all renders set to 1
and then choose ffdshow video decoder with VMR9 render

Last edited by kny3twalker; 08-16-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Sage User

Just as an update, I did get it working, it was one of those stupid things that we never check. In my Dell the TV card sits a little higher than the rest, screwing it down was kind of a challenge. ANyway I decided to open my box and check it out, sure enough the back of the card had started to back out of the slot. Took the screw out and reseated the cand and bang there she was working perfectly. Should have checked it first, but you would think that the card would not workl at all. That's computers for you. Thanks for all the advice, I will put it to good use to get it set up right now!!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you, kny3twalker!

David