SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

been a while here since i got my hardware, but just got around to buying an antenna to place on my attic window, pointing east towards NYC.

it seems like this is not a slam dunk getting it into sageTV
Old 11-01-2020, 07:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
been a while here since i got my hardware, but just got around to buying an antenna to place on my attic window, pointing east towards NYC.

it seems like this is not a slam dunk getting it into sageTV
I was able to import a recording into SageTV ... the SageTV MiniClent played the video but no audio... but I am sure that Android devices and FireTV will support the audio. The OPENDCT FFMPEG will probably have to be updated. Emby Plays LIVETV Video fine but no sound yet. Channels DVR plays both Video and Sound... but has slight pauses.

Edit ..

Imported ASTC 3.0 Video and Audio play great on my Samsung Android Devices ... Note 9 and Samsung tab 4 using MiniClient.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ing-Dolby-AC-4

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-01-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Out of curiosity what if you add the tuner directly into Sage instead of using OpenDCT for the ATSC3.0 tuners. Seems like in that configuration it should be able to write the file to the disk correctly then it's just down to being able to decode it successfully.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
Out of curiosity what if you add the tuner directly into Sage instead of using OpenDCT for the ATSC3.0 tuners. Seems like in that configuration it should be able to write the file to the disk correctly then it's just down to being able to decode it successfully.
Tried that SageTV cannot determine the ASTC 3.0 tries to play the regular ... but crashes the Client on the Audio ... on my Tablet it stutters like crazy .. SageTV will need to have a major rewrite to properly record ASTC 3.0).

Only hope is that they use a new FFMPEG in opendct when it is able to decode the new audio.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
All of this is assuming we are talking about the Android Client.

Here is a list of things that will need to happen for AC4 playback.

1. We need to be able to parse the media info of the file and identify it contains AC4. I do not think my MediaFormatParser plugin can do it yet since the FFmpeg does not support it. I can try this out if someone can get me an example clip. It should hopefully be an easy update when it does support it. I would hope it would be as simple as upgrading the libraries to the latest version.

2. We need to add AC4 to the codec list in SageTV. This is real easy to do, and I am willing to do the pull request once I can get the MediaFormatParser to recognize it. I already did this for HEVC/H.265.

3. Then I need to add AC4 to the list of supported audio codecs that is passed to SageTV from the Android Client. This is required to tell SageTV that the client is capable of decoding the format.

The reason these changes are needed, is that sage needs to know if the client supports the codecs. If sage thinks the client does not support the codecs, than it will try and transcode it. This is where things are going to blow up. The version of FFmpeg is very old and will have no idea what h.265 or ac4 are . So boom.

If we get these above items sorted out, then if the Android device supports the audio, than in theory ExoPlayer should support it. I was not able to determine which devices might support AC4 audio. I will add it to the ExoPlayer support debug on Android Client in one of the next releases.
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

On the ffmpeg ticket site where someone entered an AC4 support request, there is a link to AC4 sample files.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8349

Direct link to sample files:

https://testassets.dashif.org/#testc...e9045678eab64f

Note: when I went to that site I had to refresh the page a couple of times before I got the list of files.
OpenDCT 0.5.32 (64 bit)
Clients: HD300 (x2)
HDHR3-CC Prime 20220822 (Comcast CableCard) - 3 Tuners
HDFX-4K Flex 20220822 (OTA) - 4 Tuners
Old 11-02-2020, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post

Would this not also apply to the SageTVServer or Client on Windows to allow playback directly on the PC as well - but, of course, not on devices like HDX00s which can't support the codecs and/or resolutions.

Would this also mean smoother playback of OTA files as HEVC is better supported on Android devices than MPEG-2 of ATSC 1.0?

I haven't used the Android client recently but when I used it in the past I often had issues with playback of OTA files.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

1. We need to be able to parse the media info of the file and identify it contains AC4. I do not think my MediaFormatParser plugin can do it yet since the FFmpeg does not support it. I can try this out if someone can get me an example clip. It should hopefully be an easy update when it does support it. I would hope it would be as simple as upgrading the libraries to the latest version.

2. We need to add AC4 to the codec list in SageTV. This is real easy to do, and I am willing to do the pull request once I can get the MediaFormatParser to recognize it. I already did this for HEVC/H.265.

3. Then I need to add AC4 to the list of supported audio codecs that is passed to SageTV from the Android Client. This is required to tell SageTV that the client is capable of decoding the format.

The reason these changes are needed, is that sage needs to know if the client supports the codecs. If sage thinks the client does not support the codecs, than it will try and transcode it. This is where things are going to blow up. The version of FFmpeg is very old and will have no idea what h.265 or ac4 are . So boom.

If we get these above items sorted out, then if the Android device supports the audio, than in theory ExoPlayer should support it. I was not able to determine which devices might support AC4 audio. I will add it to the ExoPlayer support debug on Android Client in one of the next releases.
Here is a sample ....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZK_...ew?usp=sharing
Old 11-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Thank you nyplayer. I added this clip to my test cases.

Here is what my format parser library does with it currently when I run it thru my test case.

Code:
Testcase: transcodeDevelopmentTesting(jvl.FFmpeg.jni.General):	Caused an ERROR
Codec not found
java.lang.RuntimeException: Codec not found
	at jvl.FFmpeg.jni.AVCodec.getAVCodecDecoder(AVCodec.java:21)
	at jvl.FFmpeg.jni.General.transcodeDevelopmentTesting(General.java:67)
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Thank you nyplayer. I added this clip to my test cases.

Here is what my format parser library does with it currently when I run it thru my test case.
FYI. another one you might want to look at is the Opus audio codec. I've run across a couple instances of this guy in containers and the Android Mini Client doesn't like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snip_20201109142904.jpg (231.7 KB, 431 views)

Last edited by phelme; 11-09-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
FYI. another one you might want to look at is the Opus audio codec. I've run across a couple instances of this guy in containers and the Android Mini Client doesn't like it.
It looks like the mini client and SageTV are both unaware of that codec. I will add this to the issue list as an enhancement. I already compiled the ffmpeg audio extension for ExoPlayer to support the codec, so in theory I just need to add the codec to SageTV and the Android Client.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 12-01-2020, 01:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

you folks are the best!
Old 01-08-2021, 10:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Any update on this on using this device in SageTV?

A bunch more cities should get ATSC by the end of the summer, including Buffalo, so we should be able to pick up their signal here in Toronto.

Quote:
The cities targeted to be on-air with 3.0 by the end of the summer include: Atlanta; Baltimore; Boston; Buffalo, N.Y.; Charleston, S.C.; Charlotte, N.C.; Columbus, Ohio; Hartford, Conn.; Houston; Indianapolis; Kansas City, Mo.; Orlando, Fla.; Providence, R.I.; San Antonio, Texas; Washington, D.C.; and West Palm Beach, Fla.
https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/br...-says-pearl-tv
Old 01-08-2021, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Any update on this on using this device in SageTV?

A bunch more cities should get ATSC by the end of the summer, including Buffalo, so we should be able to pick up their signal here in Toronto.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/br...-says-pearl-tv
To clarify, I'm assuming you mean supporting the 4K capabilities within SageTV. 720p and 1080i are already available, at least in combination with OpenDCT. Can't speak to native SageTV support...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 01-08-2021, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes - I guess the capabilities of whether this device is seen by SageTV as a tuner and whether the files it creates can be played back with SageTV clients of playing 4K content. Those would be PC clients of AndroidTV clients. I believe that 4K playback is available today in SageTV on those clients.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Yes - I guess the capabilities of whether this device is seen by SageTV as a tuner and whether the files it creates can be played back with SageTV clients of playing 4K content. Those would be PC clients of AndroidTV clients. I believe that 4K playback is available today in SageTV on those clients.
I only have one 4K TV in my house, and it is mounted on my kitchen wall so it is not very accessible. I did temporarily connect one of my FireTV 4K Sticks to it, changed the settings that allowed for 4K video, and brought up the miniclient. Everything I tried resulted in resolutions no higher than 1080i (source is a HDHR 4K tuner). Admittedly, I did not try every single setting. Maybe someone with a more permanent setup can try it and give a more definitive answer.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 01-10-2021, 02:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I am pretty sure that some people have been able to play downloaded 2160p files in 4K, but I could be wrong, and it could even be hard to tell if they truly were being played in 4K.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

i've played 4K files, using Kodi and MrMC, from my nvidia shield pro (latest version) to an LG OLED, both of which supports 4K, so i would guess that if SageTV could identify the files, they could be played...........this was pre-ATSC3.0..............have to re-test with ATSC3.0 formatted files
Old 04-21-2021, 06:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've noticed on the HDHomerun support forum someone posted that there is now a fork of FFMPEG that includes AC4 audio

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...4323&start=165

Not sure if that's helpful here but at least things are moving in the right direction.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Anybody tried using one of these with SageTV yet? ATSC 3.0 channels are starting to appear in more cities, see the Silicon Dust forums here: https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=133