SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I have it installed on a Toshiba FireTV works great ... I am sure it can be Installed on any Android or FireTV.
Tell me, as there are NO number buttons on the Toshiba remote, how do you input OTA channel selections?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-08-2021, 08:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Tell me, as there are NO number buttons on the Toshiba remote, how do you input OTA channel selections?

Say what ? I don't I use the miniguide. I do not use an OTA antenna on the TV that is what the HDHomeRun units are for.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Say what ? I don't I use the miniguide. I do not use an OTA antenna on the TV that is what the HDHomeRun units are for.
Ah. So it’s not possible. That’s what I was thinking.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-08-2021, 08:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ah. So it’s not possible. That’s what I was thinking.
Very few TV's have number inputs my Samsung 4K tv Remote does not have number inputs if you find one that does let me know ? You have to invest in another remote if you want number inputs.

This thread has become a TV thread lol.

Getting back the SageTV Miniclient has been rock solid on AndroidTV and FireTV. So you have many options.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-08-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Very few TV's have number inputs my Samsung 4K tv Remote does not have number inputs if you find one that does let me know ? You have to invest in another remote if you want number inputs.

This thread has become a TV thread lol.

Getting back the SageTV Miniclient has been rock solid on AndroidTV and FireTV. So you have many options.
lol. Yes, the miniclient angle has blurred, but is still the primary focus. A quality, inexpensive tv with an OS which flawlessly handles the SageTV Miniclient is the focus - and then, what else, like remotes. Here’s the competitor. Android TV with a FULL remote:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55...?skuId=6400728

https://www.amazon.com/OEM-Remote-So...7895591&sr=8-4

Last edited by tvmaster2; 04-08-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
lol. Yes, the miniclient angle has blurred, but is still the primary focus. A quality, inexpensive tv with an OS which flawlessly handles the SageTV Miniclient is the focus - and then, what else, like remotes. Here’s the competitor. Android TV with a FULL remote:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55...?skuId=6400728

https://www.amazon.com/OEM-Remote-So...7895591&sr=8-4
As far as remotes go I have someone in my household that requires large easy accessible remote buttons so I solved that with a FLIRC and these remotes ... control everything... and very cheap and durable.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-DIRECTV-...7896611&sr=8-8
Old 04-08-2021, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

If anybody is interested this is the kit I use to add Storage and NIC to my FireTV4K and TV's

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-08-2021, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Just got the new FireTV update ... Changed the whole ui.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:04 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
If anybody is interested this is the kit I use to add Storage and NIC to my FireTV4K and TV's

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use this for a LAN only option https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1X28F1/
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 04-09-2021, 09:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just got the new FireTV update ... Changed the whole ui.
What do you think of the new UI? Seems like the pictures got even more obnoxiously larger?

On another note, decided to go with the stable company and the more robust remote. As we used to say way back in the days of Betacam, “Nobody ever got fired for buying Sony.”
AndroidTV loaded up SageTV MiniClient and Plex without trouble, and the TV played this cool, tranquil music similar to what Bill & Ted heard while visiting Rufus in the future. And, TWO USB ports. So far so good. Thanks for the tips everyone.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-X750H-55.../dp/B085M7HHHN
Old 04-09-2021, 09:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What do you think of the new UI? Seems like the pictures got even more obnoxiously larger?

On another note, decided to go with the stable company and the more robust remote. As we used to say way back in the days of Betacam, “Nobody ever got fired for buying Sony.”
AndroidTV loaded up SageTV MiniClient and Plex without trouble, and the TV played this cool, tranquil music similar to what Bill & Ted heard while visiting Rufus in the future. And, TWO USB ports. So far so good. Thanks for the tips everyone.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-X750H-55.../dp/B085M7HHHN
Good Choice on TV enjoy ... I hate the new FireTV UI glad the TV's did not update
Old 04-12-2021, 10:27 AM
Sage Icon

I guess I need to check my Firesticks for the update.

In my primary viewing location, I have a 2020 Sony LCD TV (Bravia x950h). It runs Android TV and I have both a Nvidea Shield Pro (2019) and a Sage HD300 hooked up to it. I have the SageTV Android app installed on both the Sony and the Shield. They both seem to work just fine.

All that being said, I like watching TV on the HD300 the best - primarily because of the remote control functionality. Having separate controls for all the functions on the HD300 is much nicer than the limited remote functionality built into the app. I've tried to figure out how to expand the limited functionality using custom buttons, but I haven't been successful. It seems like you can reprogram buttons to do different things, but you can't expand on the limited button choices. For example, I haven't figured out a way to have separate "Guide" and "Recordings" buttons work on the apps, while the HD300 has this functionality.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 04-12-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I guess I need to check my Firesticks for the update.

In my primary viewing location, I have a 2020 Sony LCD TV (Bravia x950h). It runs Android TV and I have both a Nvidea Shield Pro (2019) and a Sage HD300 hooked up to it. I have the SageTV Android app installed on both the Sony and the Shield. They both seem to work just fine.

All that being said, I like watching TV on the HD300 the best - primarily because of the remote control functionality. Having separate controls for all the functions on the HD300 is much nicer than the limited remote functionality built into the app. I've tried to figure out how to expand the limited functionality using custom buttons, but I haven't been successful. It seems like you can reprogram buttons to do different things, but you can't expand on the limited button choices. For example, I haven't figured out a way to have separate "Guide" and "Recordings" buttons work on the apps, while the HD300 has this functionality.
I got a sofabaton to control all my devices. Setup keys for guide record options etc...

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-12-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Do you think you will be able to get the Android TV system screen saver and sleep enabled again? Thanks.
I think this may have gotten lost in all the discussion about TVs . Any thoughts about this @jvl711?
Old 04-23-2021, 11:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Quote:
there are other reasons to input numbers, i.e. limiting the number of shows recorded for a favorite. Luckily, I was able to pick up a cheap Samsung all button remote that works with CEC for me.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
there are other reasons to input numbers, i.e. limiting the number of shows recorded for a favorite. Luckily, I was able to pick up a cheap Samsung all button remote that works with CEC for me.
What Samsung Remote ?

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-23-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
To input numbers in Sagetv Mini Client i use the onscreen keyboard
that has never worked for me. nothing comes up, at least with the Chromecast with Google TV.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
that has never worked for me. nothing comes up, at least with the Chromecast with Google TV.
Why ? a long press on select works ? brings up the mini client options including keyboard. For some users in my household that have trouble with small remotes a FLIRC and old DirecTV cheap remotes did the trick.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-23-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What Samsung Remote ?
Model AA59-00582A
Old 04-23-2021, 07:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Why ? a long press on select works ? brings up the mini client options including keyboard. For some users in my household that have trouble with small remotes a FLIRC and old DirecTV cheap remotes did the trick.
Unlike with the FireStick, no keyboard ever comes up, even with clicking on the keyboard icon in the mini client pop-up. Not for me anyway.