SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
I actually just got a shield this weekend, so I may be able to debug this issue. It is possible I may have broken this when I was correcting items Amazon did not like. They had an issue with the application "Exiting" on pause. I removed it to make sure it would pass testing. This could be a part of the issue.
Do you think you will be able to get the Android TV system screen saver and sleep enabled again? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Second Vizio in two years blew its brains out, likely power supply.

So, no more of those. Time for a new brand.

Are there any brands which would allow internal installation of the SageTV Miniclient App? Android TV as opposed to LG’s WebOS?

Plex would be a good, native install as well. If I have to buy another new tv, might as well look at ones with flexibility.

So, can the MiniClient be installed on newer TV’s, or can it only be installed on an external box/stick device?

Thanks
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-04-2021, 08:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post

Are there any brands which would allow internal installation of the SageTV Miniclient App? Android TV as opposed to LG’s WebOS?

Plex would be a good, native install as well. If I have to buy another new tv, might as well look at ones with flexibility.

So, can the MiniClient be installed on newer TV’s, or can it only be installed on an external box/stick device?

Thanks
I have it installed on a Toshiba FireTV works great ... I am sure it can be Installed on any Android or FireTV.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I have it installed on a Toshiba FireTV works great ... I am sure it can be Installed on any Android or FireTV.
FireTV being an external box?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-05-2021, 04:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
As far as I know Sony is the only TV Manufacture that uses Android TV for the OS. I installed the old web client but it never worked really well. Never tried with the new version.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 04-05-2021, 06:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
FireTV being an external box?
No FireTV OS built in the TV no external box.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...?skuId=6398139

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-05-2021 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
As far as I know Sony is the only TV Manufacture that uses Android TV for the OS. I installed the old web client but it never worked really well. Never tried with the new version.
couple more have emerged, TCL, Hisense, Insignia (Best Buy house brand). I’m reading about the difference Josh had getting the app approved for Google Play Store vs. Amazon App store - seems like he had an easier time with Google, so I’d lean towards Android OS over FireTV.
Anyone with an opinion on that?
Old 04-05-2021, 10:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
couple more have emerged, TCL, Hisense, Insignia (Best Buy house brand). I’m reading about the difference Josh had getting the app approved for Google Play Store vs. Amazon App store - seems like he had an easier time with Google, so I’d lean towards Android OS over FireTV.
Anyone with an opinion on that?
I am running the mini-client on both 4K Fire TV Stick and a Shield TV. Other than the huge performance increase because of the process power of the Shield TV, there is very little difference.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Thanks
I'll add a +2 to that. Myself and my friend Pat. Mine got a backlight failure in the lower left quadrant to the screen. Not too bad unless the right brightness (or was it darkness?) condition was in that quadrant. Then you could see a difference in the darkness in the little rectangle in the lower left of the screen.
My buddy Pat had his screen go bad as well. Luckily he still had several weeks left on the extended warranty he bought with the set. Of course the set was no longer in production so they gave him a choice of 2 models for replacement.
Got the replacement up on the wall with the help of myself and another friend. During setup there was nothing showing up on the screen. He did notice that the set was trying to gain access to his WiFi, but again no indication of anything on the screen. So online with Vizio tech who had him do some tests and confirmed the screen was DOA, so they were sending him a replacement-replacement.
At that point he had had enough of Vizio and bought a Sony and sold the "replacement-replacement" online.

I had no warranty option, mine was a couple months out of warranty naturally. <sigh> So I replaced it with an LG. No more Vizio for this guy either!

They typically get great reviews, but apparently they have a quality issue and fail WAY too soon. Although I do have a 32" Vizio on the wall up at my camp that is still chugging away. <fingers crossed>

Last edited by waynedunham; 04-06-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I'll add a +2 to that. Myself and my friend Pat. Mine got a backlight failure in the lower left quadrant to the screen. Not too bad unless the right brightness (or was it darkness?) condition was in that quadrant. Then you could see a difference in the darkness in the little rectangle in the lower left of the screen.
My buddy Pat had his screen go bad as well. Luckily he still had several weeks left on the extended warranty he bought with the set. Of course the set was no longer in production so they gave him a choice of 2 models for replacement.
Got the replacement up on the wall with the help of myself and another friend. During setup there was nothing showing up on the screen. He did notice that the set was trying to gain access to his WiFi, but again no indication of anything on the screen. So online with Vizio tech who had him do some tests and confirmed the screen was DOA, so they were sending him a replacement-replacement.
At that point he had had enough of Vizio and bought a Sony and sold the "replacement-replacement" online.

I had no warranty option, mine was a couple months out of warranty naturally. <sigh> So I replaced it with an LG. No more Vizio for this guy either!

They typically get great reviews, but apparently they have a quality issue and fail WAY too soon. Although I do have a 32" Vizio on the wall up at my camp that is still chugging away. <fingers crossed>
LG runs it’s own is, WebOS. I’m assuming there’s no downloading Android apps on those?
Old 04-06-2021, 10:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
No FireTV OS built in the TV no external box.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...?skuId=6398139
how do you like the Toshiba? Looked at one yesterday - seemed nice, but it's hard to tell in reality since the store feeds it 4k, and we will only be watching 1080p most of the time. Does it upconvert, or down-convert well?
No worries with Amazon being in the TV, aka you can turn OFF Amazon's access to your television?
Old 04-06-2021, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
how do you like the Toshiba? Looked at one yesterday - seemed nice, but it's hard to tell in reality since the store feeds it 4k, and we will only be watching 1080p most of the time. Does it upconvert, or down-convert well?
No worries with Amazon being in the TV, aka you can turn OFF Amazon's access to your television?
I have not had any problems with them I bought 2 32 inches for $88 dollars a piece during Prime time .. Put 1 in my home office and 1 in the kitchen. My Eco system is all Amazon anyway so do not care about access so never looked.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-06-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:29 PM
SageTVaholic

To each their own I suppose, but when I purchase a TV, I do it based on the TV's ability to produce a high quality video image, and that's it. Anything else that the TV needs to do are carried out with another component plugged in to the TV. I don't want to limit myself to some specific TV with an OS that will have zero support sometime in the next 24 to 48 months.

It reminds me of purchasing a TV in 1998 with a DVD player built in. Terrible idea.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
To each their own I suppose, but when I purchase a TV, I do it based on the TV's ability to produce a high quality video image, and that's it. Anything else that the TV needs to do are carried out with another component plugged in to the TV. I don't want to limit myself to some specific TV with an OS that will have zero support sometime in the next 24 to 48 months.

It reminds me of purchasing a TV in 1998 with a DVD player built in. Terrible idea.
I agree 100% for my main entertainment and bedroom everything is plugged in FireTV Shield etc.. but for places that I really do not need a high end tv a $80 toshiba FireTV that I can run Channels, HdHomeRun and SageTV is great,
Old 04-06-2021, 06:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not talking about a high end TV. I'm talking about never limiting my hardware purchase based on a built in OS that won't be supported. When a Firestick 4k can be had on sale for $25 or $30, there's no point in basing a TV purchase on and OS just because it can run the miniclient.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm not talking about a high end TV. I'm talking about never limiting my hardware purchase based on a built in OS that won't be supported. When a Firestick 4k can be had on sale for $25 or $30, there's no point in basing a TV purchase on and OS just because it can run the miniclient.
Like I said for $80 dollars you get a TV and Firetv It is a lot easier to use then a FiresTick switches to Cable TV seamlessly. Everybody is different and has their own preferences so do not knock it. If the OP wants what he wants then he should get it.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-06-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Go buy whatever you want, Edwin.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ha h ha I am not looking but I will. I am liking Sagetv more and more than ChannelsDVR lately. Josh has really made big Improvements. Being able to add my own transcoding Profiles has been great.

You cannot beat SageTV for livetv.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-06-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I assumed you’d know the things you require, quality product, quality picture, reliability history, we’re obvious enough I didn’t have to mention them? But all things being equal in those departments, then I go to level two, and that’s this discussion. When Ajit Pai killed cable cards, and likely our TiVo’s, then yes, streaming apps, Plex, etc., will likely matter.
Which is why I’d never buy Samsung again, as they stop supporting ANY tv they sell the day it’s sold.
Sadly, the Toshiba FireTV, with Amazon support, will likely be the only brand to receive support down the road, changing API’s, etc.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, yes, there is. Very few NEW tv’s have more than one USB port, which means only one external device that gets power from the TV. So, if you wanted to add a Chromecast and Fire Stick, you’d have to choose.
Lots of things to consider buying a new tv beyond the obvious. As far as support, LG makes a great set, but WebOS? Who knows how long they stick with that. Android, on the other hand, has been around for many revisions and updates. Guess that’s why Sony went with them?
The decision is between vanilla Android, or altered Android (FireTV). And there are lots of good choices of both.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 04-06-2021 at 08:12 PM.