SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-18-2019, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

A Sad Day - I'm Done

It's a sad day for me. After many years and countless hours of work, I am going to relegate my SageTV setup to the background. When my Xfiniti contract is up on Jan 3 I am cutting the cord which will make my Sage setup fairly irrelevant. The straw that broke the camel's back for me happened several weeks ago when Comcast moved some of its Formula1 coverage (practice and qualifying) to ESPNu, which costs even more to get. (They yanked MotoGP coverage a few years ago.)

I'll probably go with Netflix, Hulu+, Philo as well as subscriptions to Formula1 and MotoGP. I might use Sage to record NFL Football OTA.

I don't see myself doing any more plugin development but I will try to support the plugins out there already. I will also monitor the forums on a more or less regular basis.

A special thanks to stuckless who spent many hours "tutoring" me on Java development. Lot's of other people helped along the way, too many to mention. You know who you are.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you Tom for all your work with SageTV over the years. I for one really appreciated it!
My Sage is still running in a docker but I find that I rarely use it now too since giving up on cabletv due to a recent move out east.
Most of my stuff is coming from Sonarr and Radarr from Usenet and watching using Plex.
Wish there was an easier way to support dvd/blu-ray Iso's and Folder rips though.
Playback in Sage is one of the best parts of it ... but it needs to be updated for UHD and newer formats.
It is so sad to let go of SageTV altogether as well for me ... such a great piece of software and a great community of friends and helpers.

Cheer,
Dwight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 11-18-2019, 12:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
It's a sad day for me. After many years and countless hours of work, I am going to relegate my SageTV setup to the background. When my Xfiniti contract is up on Jan 3 I am cutting the cord which will make my Sage setup fairly irrelevant. The straw that broke the camel's back for me happened several weeks ago when Comcast moved some of its Formula1 coverage (practice and qualifying) to ESPNu, which costs even more to get. (They yanked MotoGP coverage a few years ago.)

I'll probably go with Netflix, Hulu+, Philo as well as subscriptions to Formula1 and MotoGP. I might use Sage to record NFL Football OTA.

I don't see myself doing any more plugin development but I will try to support the plugins out there already. I will also monitor the forums on a more or less regular basis.

A special thanks to stuckless who spent many hours "tutoring" me on Java development. Lot's of other people helped along the way, too many to mention. You know who you are.
Thank for all you have done for us SageTV users ... Good luck.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:34 PM
SageTVaholic

ditto - thanks for all you’ve done. just so I have a reference, Youtube and the Sagetv update packages - were those the things you worked on the most lately?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry to see you go.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the great plugins and support! You developed/support a lot of the plugins I use every day.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 11-18-2019, 08:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

It’s a crime how badly F1 is treated in the U.S. cable market. In Canada, TSN takes ALL the Sky programming and airs it across their various channels, no extra charge. The only thing ESPN airs more are the practice sessions, but that’s mostly anti-climatic.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-19-2019, 05:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
ditto - thanks for all you’ve done. just so I have a reference, Youtube and the Sagetv update packages - were those the things you worked on the most lately?
YouTube is mine. I'm not sure what you mean by the update packages.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Sorry to see you go.
I'll still be around but not as active. I'll still be using one of the best (and most underrated) features of SageTV - the photo screensaver.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
YouTube is mine. I'm not sure what you mean by the update packages.
sorry, the ‘installer’ packages. confused you with jusjokin 😉
Old 11-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for all your work over the years!
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-19-2019, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for all the work you’ve done over the years. Greatly enhanced the SageTV experience

Quote:
Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Old 11-19-2019, 11:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

It's always sad to see great people retire their sage setups Good to see you still hanging around and willing to update your plugins if needed... something I wasn't able to commit to

If you ever want to move to plex... let me know, I can try to help with some of the setup. I've completely moved to Plex, Netflix, Youtube, and Prime for my viewing and it's been working OK so far (WAF is good).
Old 11-19-2019, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

It's always sad to see great people retire their sage setups Good to see you still hanging around and willing to update your plugins if needed... something I wasn't able to commit to

If you ever want to move to plex... let me know, I can try to help with some of the setup. I've completely moved to Plex, Netflix, Youtube, and Prime for my viewing and it's been working OK so far (WAF is good).
What are you using with regards to PL.EX library detection? I’m finding that PLEX has a hard time deciding if a show is a movie or tv program, which scanner to use, etc. How many different drives do you collect programming from?
Old 11-19-2019, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
What are you using with regards to PL.EX library detection? I’m finding that PLEX has a hard time deciding if a show is a movie or tv program, which scanner to use, etc. How many different drives do you collect programming from?
When I brought in my sage library, I just gave it my raw recording folders. My shows were recorded with season and episode in the filename. There were very few shows that I had to fix up. I don't use any other scanners, just the defaults in Plex. It's not perfect, but, as I said out of hundreds of series, maybe 5 I had to fix up. Now, I kept all my movies and TV in separate folders so, when I point to my TV folder it's only TV shows and I have separate library folder for Movies which only has movies. (and a separate folder for workout videos, home vidoes, etc). For the most part it was the same with sagetv, since I rarely recorded movies on sagetv.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
When I brought in my sage library, I just gave it my raw recording folders. My shows were recorded with season and episode in the filename. There were very few shows that I had to fix up. I don't use any other scanners, just the defaults in Plex. It's not perfect, but, as I said out of hundreds of series, maybe 5 I had to fix up. Now, I kept all my movies and TV in separate folders so, when I point to my TV folder it's only TV shows and I have separate library folder for Movies which only has movies. (and a separate folder for workout videos, home vidoes, etc). For the most part it was the same with sagetv, since I rarely recorded movies on sagetv.
Can you have multiple Movie or TV folders? I have stuff spread across 3 drives and a NAS.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Is there a way to move this discussion to a better locale - I don’t want to steal the thread from tmiranda’s important notice.
That being said, I have two drives, two tuners, each fed by a cable box and satellite box. The drives gather independently from each tuner.
I guess the only way for PLEX to work as you have it would be to manually relocate my Sage recordings to dedicated TV/Movie folders AFTER Sage records them, so PLEX can digest properly? Do you see any other way to streamline my process?
Old 11-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
It's a sad day for me. After many years and countless hours of work, I am going to relegate my SageTV setup to the background.
I've been a Sage user for many years and your support made the process much easier and the product more stable. Thank you for all your efforts. And good luck down the road.

Steve
Old 11-20-2019, 04:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I've moved the plex conversation here... https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=622916
Old 11-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve20A View Post
I've been a Sage user for many years and your support made the process much easier and the product more stable. Thank you for all your efforts. And good luck down the road.
+1

Yes, a sad day indeed.