SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Sage User

Nice work on the plugin! How hard would it be to add support for more concurrent cities like the old weather plugin which allowed 4 cities?
Old 12-15-2018, 06:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
Nice work on the plugin! How hard would it be to add support for more concurrent cities like the old weather plugin which allowed 4 cities?
Not too difficult. It would only require STV work, the java already supports multiple weather instances. I didn't add multiple cities because I never used it and was not sure how many people did.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Anything you can do for us few Canadian users with the weather plugin?
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 12-15-2018, 12:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
Anything you can do for us few Canadian users with the weather plugin?
I'm not really sure. The trick is to see if there is a good API available and I haven't looked at that.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I'm not really sure. The trick is to see if there is a good API available and I haven't looked at that.
This is all 'goobly-goop' to me - but maybe makes sense to someone - ha!

https://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/api/index.html

Found as looking for a Canadian Weather API.

Dwight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
Old 12-16-2018, 06:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley View Post
This is all 'goobly-goop' to me - but maybe makes sense to someone - ha!

https://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/api/index.html

Found as looking for a Canadian Weather API.

Dwight
That's a generic site for anybody who wants to publish datasets online. The datasets can be most anything. Do you know that the Canadian weather info in in there?

Old 12-16-2018, 07:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
Try the attached. Upzip the .xml into the Sage install directory then go to the plugin manager and update the plugin. It will allow you to enter multiple cities in the configuration menu.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTVPluginsDev.zip (1.0 KB, 241 views)

Old 12-16-2018, 08:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's a generic site for anybody who wants to publish datasets online. The datasets can be most anything. Do you know that the Canadian weather info in in there?
I think OpenWeatherMap covers Canada and the US.

k
Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
I think OpenWeatherMap covers Canada and the US.

k
Yes, I've been looking at that one. Unsurprisingly, it's very different than the NWS API and will require more development. It's currently the best free one I've seen for international weather.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, I've been looking at that one. Unsurprisingly, it's very different than the NWS API and will require more development. It's currently the best free one I've seen for international weather.
In Phoenix/Gemstone we took an approach of creating a WeatherAPI and then provided implementations for various weather providers. In this way the UI can be written once for 1 api, and then just plug in different providers. Not sure you went down that common API approach or not, but, might be worth looking into, as you add more weather providers for the default stv.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
In Phoenix/Gemstone we took an approach of creating a WeatherAPI and then provided implementations for various weather providers. In this way the UI can be written once for 1 api, and then just plug in different providers. Not sure you went down that common API approach or not, but, might be worth looking into, as you add more weather providers for the default stv.
I wasn't that smart

The OpenWeatherMap API was much simpler than the NWS API. I have a good chunk of the Java written and am starting to put it into the STV.

I guess I don't mind editing the STV to add additional providers. When new provides are added it will always take additional coding and to me it doesn't matter if it's STV coding or Java coding.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Tom

Have you ever looked at Dark Sky? https://darksky.net/

Seems to have a good API. Just wish I had the skills or time to implement this.

Dean
Old 12-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
Hi Tom

Dean
This also appears to work for Canada too ...
Old 12-17-2018, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hi Tom

Dean
This appears to be a pay based service so would only work if every user had an account and entered their own api key and paid for use beyond 1000 requests per day...likely as an individual level it would stay below the 1000 but you would have to read the terms to see if an app can require every user to signup.

k
Old 12-17-2018, 07:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hi Tom

Dean
No, I haven't looked at that. I'm making good progress with OpenWeatherMap however.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
This appears to be a pay based service so would only work if every user had an account and entered their own api key and paid for use beyond 1000 requests per day...likely as an individual level it would stay below the 1000 but you would have to read the terms to see if an app can require every user to signup.

k
I have been using Dark Sky as a replacement for WU on Domoticz (Domoticz.com) and works very well. It polls the site every 5 mins, so it is well under the 1000 limit.

It requires you to request your own API key, but noticed the following line in the Terms Of Server and it states you at NOT alowed the following.

Quote:
direct your end-users to sign up for their own API account (The Dark Sky API not intended to be used directly by end-users)
So I guess this is a no go unless someone pays for an API key which I don’t think is going to happen. And Domoticz is breaking the Term of Service.

Dean
Old 12-19-2018, 06:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hi Tom

Dean
I looked at this as well as OpenWeatherMap. The OpenWeatherMap API was very simple and I have written most of the code to implement it. The good news is that it has data for A LOT of cities. The bad news is that OpenWeatherMap is too simple and does not supply very much data.

The darksky API is also fairly easy and provides more of the data needed and there are some open source Java APIs available. I plan on implementing that one as well and then give the user the choice of which to use; NWS, OpenWeatherMap, or Darksky . If they want to use Darksky they will have to sign up and get their own key.

That's the plan I have in mind. If nothing else I'll end up with some nice Java classes that can be used to access these weather services.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Try the attached. Upzip the .xml into the Sage install directory then go to the plugin manager and update the plugin. It will allow you to enter multiple cities in the configuration menu.
I installed this and updated, but the configuration menu doesn't appear to allow for entering multiple sites. When I select enter new location and enter a zip code, the configuration changes to the new zip code site, but I don't see how to then toggle among multiple sites. What am I overlooking?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've been experimenting with this plugin and comparing it to the previous weather underground layout, and I have a few suggestions/requests for updates.

1) It would be nice under the extended forecast to have the option to show the week in a grid format without the narrative detail. This was an option under the weather underground format.

2) In the extended forecast, when precipitation is forecasted, the weather underground format would include the forecasted amount of precipitation. Does the NWS provide this data and could it be included?

3) On the current conditions tab, where barometric pressure is displayed, is it possible to indicate weather the pressure is rising or falling?

Thank you for developing this plugin tmiranda.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob23 View Post
I installed this and updated, but the configuration menu doesn't appear to allow for entering multiple sites. When I select enter new location and enter a zip code, the configuration changes to the new zip code site, but I don't see how to then toggle among multiple sites. What am I overlooking?
When you enter the second site the options on the menu should appear to allow you to select the other site. If it does not, it's a bug. Try adding one or two more locations and then send me the logfile.

I'm taking a break at the moment due to the holidays.