SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
This post (https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50013) said Jon fixed the DLL at least in beta back then. The problem is that DLL is 32-bit. I would have hoped the 64-bit one I got from Jon directly was also "fixed" but only he would know. If you can show both transmit & receive work when not running in service mode, that would help to confirm this is the issue.
OK, I re-tested today with the new 64-bit drivers you posted. In stand-alone mode, I can use both the transmitter and receiver at the same time. But, in client-server (service) mode, I can only use one or the other. This certainly seems like the same old problem from several years ago.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
OK, I re-tested today with the new 64-bit drivers you posted. In stand-alone mode, I can use both the transmitter and receiver at the same time. But, in client-server (service) mode, I can only use one or the other. This certainly seems like the same old problem from several years ago.
Uh oh. I’ll write Jon but I’m not sure he’ll have anything better to offer. Perhaps that was the 2.7.0.0 rev change where the 64-bit one is 2.6.9.9.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If you get some time, can you also try installing the beta 32-bit version? If that one works but the 64-bit doesn't that's a clue. If beta 32-bit doesn't, try copying uu_irsage.dll from your working system into the Common directory. This is on the off chance that something needed changed in the SageTV source to accommodate this.
OK, I made sure the 64bit Sage service was disabled, but did not un-install anything. Then I ran the 32-bit (x86) Sage installer.

The installer ran OK, but I noticed there was no option to install the USBUIRT.
Apparently this wasn't needed, because it worked without me needing to do anything.

I was able to use the USBUIRT to transmit and receive in both Stand-alone and Client-Server (Service) mode.

I tested my Hauppauge Colossus, and also one of my HDHR Primes (using OpenDCT). I had the 64-bit version of OpenDCT installed and configured from earlier, and it continued to work with the 32-bit version of Sage with no apparent issues (I was worried that there might be some Java 32/64 conflicts, but didn't see any problems).

One thing I did notice with both the 32-bit and the 64-bit Beta versions is that even when the USBUIRT appears to be working (as a transmitter to change channels on the STB), it seems to be mis-tuning pretty often. I pretty much never have problems with tuning using my old install. I have Sage configured to send the "OK" button as a channel change confirm code, but it is behaving like this is not being sent. I don't know if there is something different with the new Beta of Sage, or a setting that I didn't get transferred over properly, or just something different with the new PC hardware.

One other quirk I noticed is that in the Configuration Wizard (both 32-bit and 64-bit), one of the last steps is to test the playback configuration. I've been through the wizard several times now and in almost every case, I would get audio, but no video (just a black screen). But, when I playback a recording, watch live TV, or use the previews in the channel setup screens, the video plays back fine.

One last item, with the Colossus (recording via HDMI), I noticed that the colors are a bit washed-out (blacks look grey). I doubt this has anything to do with Sage itself, but not sure if it is something with my video card settings, Colossus recording settings, or what.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-12-2019, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Relating to the failed copy of the USBUIRT 64bit driver. I had a log from JustFred and as it failed on his as well I reviewed those logs and see....

Code:
MSI (s) (EC:6C) [12:50:55:531]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=CopyUSBUIRTDRVtoSystem,,)
MSI (s) (EC:6C) [12:50:55:531]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CopyUSBUIRTDRVtoSystem,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=WixQuietExec,CustomActionData="C:\Windows\system32\xcopy.exe" "C:\Program Files\SageTV\redist\usbuirt\amd64\uuirtdrv.dll" "C:\Windows\Sysnative\" /q /y /c /r /i )
MSI (s) (EC:B0) [12:50:55:531]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI83E9.tmp, Entrypoint: WixQuietExec
WixQuietExec:  File creation error - Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
WixQuietExec:  
WixQuietExec:  Unable to create directory - C:\Windows\Sysnative
Clearly the xcopy command failed on his system.

I know what the issue is now as c:\windows\sysnative is an alias on 64bit system that points to c:\windows\system32 ONLY from 32bit apps. This is provided as if a 32bit app uses c:\windows\system32 then Windows will actually use c:\windows\syswow64.

However, from a 64bit app c:\windows\sysnative is not valid so the installer is actually copying the 64bit driver to a real (not virtual) folder called c:\windows\sysnative

So...long story short I need to determine how to make the xcopy in the 64bit MSI installer run in 32bit CMD rather than 64bit.

k
I finally found a way to make this copy happen. In testing it worked.

When we create the next installer I will include this fix.

k
Old 01-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the testing, Tiki. I think that proves the sharing issue is with the DLL and not something about how the build is happening. Hopefully we can get this resolved.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Couldn't launch 64bit service

I tried to install the 64 bit service on Windows 7 but I couldn't get the service to launch after an install.

I never installed SageTV in the Programs folder, I run it on a SSD drive in Q:\SageTV. I tried the 64bit installer with a clean install and an overwrite install in Q:\SageTV but I couldn't launch the service (just a general error, "Service launched then stopped").

Could this issue be related to the fact that I'm not using C:\Program Files? Any suggestions?

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 01-13-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I tried to install the 64 bit service on Windows 7 but I couldn't get the service to launch after an install.

I never installed SageTV in the Programs folder, I run it on a SSD drive in Q:\SageTV. I tried the 64bit installer with a clean install and an overwrite install in Q:\SageTV but I couldn't launch the service (just a general error, "Service launched then stopped").

Could this issue be related to the fact that I'm not using C:\Program Files? Any suggestions?
Any log files or hs_err_pid files?
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
That would have been smart to save... I did the install on my main server so after it failed I restored the main folder from a backup then did a system restore to get everything working again.

I will try setting up a Windows 7 VM with a Q drive and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Old 01-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
So I am able to reproduce the error on a VM. Where should I be looking for log files? Nothing is showing under the event viewer; I am looking in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp right now but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have everything working with the following issues to report:
- I had to manually copy the USBUIRT dll's into the appropriate folders.
-- jj aware of the problem.
- I too have to manually launch the service.
-- I'll post a log after today's football
- Interestingly, my x86 client still connects to the x64 server and retains all functionality.

Last edited by BigSwifty; 01-13-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added x86 info
Old 01-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Did you try just running SageTV first, go through the wizard steps, and shut Sage down and then launch the service?

The other thought is if you installed over a previous x86 install some of the paths may not be correct (but you weren't installing by defaults so this would not pertain)

You did install 64 bit Java?

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So I am able to reproduce the error on a VM. Where should I be looking for log files? Nothing is showing under the event viewer; I am looking in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp right now but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Install logs are found in \user\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp and will have odd temp type names but they will have a name similar to "SageTV(x64)_20190112071704_000_SageTVSetupMSI.log"

k
Old 01-13-2019, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I found this post (https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=2) which I think is the Vista issue you referred to. Are you running in service mode? It sounds likes both at once is a no-go on Win7 or above.
I would assume that is the issue but it was fixed with a driver update as I remember. Until that driver came out I used a third party product that allowed me to get around it. I am looking to see if I can find it. I believe it put the receiver application on the same account as service mode so that both receive and send would work. Found it: Runasspc it let me run SageTV application as a different User then the logged in user so that I could get send and transmit running under the same user probably worthless here however.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 01-13-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
I would assume that is the issue but it was fixed with a driver update as I remember. Until that driver came out I used a third party product that allowed me to get around it. I am looking to see if I can find it. I believe it put the receiver application on the same account as service mode so that both receive and send would work. Found it: Runasspc it let me run SageTV application as a different User then the logged in user so that I could get send and transmit running under the same user probably worthless here however.
Can’t the service already be run as a specific user? Why not change the service user and not the client one?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:18 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Can’t the service already be run as a specific user? Why not change the service user and not the client one?
Yes it can, but it may be less intuitive for a new user. In stand-alone mode, the app automatically gets permissions based on what user account you used to log into Windows. So it just works. Whereas in service mode, by default The Sage Service will have reduced privileges. The user has to know enough to open the service control panel and manually change the account that the service will use.

Also, the installer puts a shortcut to the Sage app on the desktop, but it does not put a shortcut to the service control panel there and there are no other prompts or warnings to remind the user about it. So, the user just has to somehow know that changing this setting is important and that they need to use this separate app to do it and then they have to know where to find the app.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Yes it can, but it may be less intuitive for a new user. In stand-alone mode, the app automatically gets permissions based on what user account you used to log into Windows. So it just works. Whereas in service mode, by default The Sage Service will have reduced privileges. The user has to know enough to open the service control panel and manually change the account that the service will use.

Also, the installer puts a shortcut to the Sage app on the desktop, but it does not put a shortcut to the service control panel there and there are no other prompts or warnings to remind the user about it. So, the user just has to somehow know that changing this setting is important and that they need to use this separate app to do it and then they have to know where to find the app.
So does the USB-UIRT work for transmit and receive when they use the same account or is a new DLL still needed?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Install logs are found in \user\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp and will have odd temp type names but they will have a name similar to "SageTV(x64)_20190112071704_000_SageTVSetupMSI.log"

k
I have been running Java 7 u80 but to rule out Java I updated to 8 u192.

Attached is the log file from my last attempt to start the service with all the default path settings.
Attached Files
File Type: txt SageTV(x64)_20190114115125.txt (9.1 KB, 163 views)

Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So does the USB-UIRT work for transmit and receive when they use the same account or is a new DLL still needed?
I think we need a new driver. The 64-bit USBUIRT drivers you provided do not allow me to use the USB-UIRT for both send and receive at the same time when using 64-bit Sage in service mode. It does not seem to matter if I use the default account or a user account for the Sage service.

32-bit Sage Stand-Alone mode: Works as transmitter and receiver
32-bit Sage Service mode: Works as transmitter and receiver
64-bit Sage Stand-Alone mode: Works as transmitter and receiver
64-bit Sage Service mode: Doesn't work (can be transmitter or receiver, but not both).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Attached is the log file from my last attempt to start the service with all the default path settings.
This is one of the installation logs. That may tell you if there were any problems detected during the install, but won't tell you what was going on when you tried to start the Sage service.

You probably want to review the Sage_0.txt log from when you tried to launch the Sage Service (inside the c:\program files\SageTV\SageTV folder, or wherever you installed Sage).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-14-2019, 02:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Close but i need another log in the same location. Its timestamp will be just prior to this one and it will have MSI in its name as per my example.

This should then indicate if the Q drive cause an issue installing the service.

k