SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Shield Miniclient performance

I've recently gotten back to trying SageTV again and the server side of things is great, running under the UnRaid docker container (Java 8). The client side seems to be playing TV back well, as captured on my HD Homerun. The problem I'm seeing is with the performance when playing back content. Before I start playing any content, the GUI is responsive, but when I start playing content, it seems to be sluggish to respond (pause, FF, RW, etc). If I bring up the standard SageTV menu while something is playing (to turn off com skip auto skip, for example), the menu animates up extremely slowly. This is when playing back MPEG2 files recorded from the HD Homerun.

Is there anyone I can do to improve the responsiveness? I think everything is being rendered in the Docker container, correct? I think the default Java Memory was 768 - I'm running 1024. Is the Java 7 version any better in this regard?
Old 05-14-2018, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaylor View Post
I've recently gotten back to trying SageTV again and the server side of things is great, running under the UnRaid docker container (Java 8). The client side seems to be playing TV back well, as captured on my HD Homerun. The problem I'm seeing is with the performance when playing back content. Before I start playing any content, the GUI is responsive, but when I start playing content, it seems to be sluggish to respond (pause, FF, RW, etc). If I bring up the standard SageTV menu while something is playing (to turn off com skip auto skip, for example), the menu animates up extremely slowly. This is when playing back MPEG2 files recorded from the HD Homerun.

Is there anyone I can do to improve the responsiveness? I think everything is being rendered in the Docker container, correct? I think the default Java Memory was 768 - I'm running 1024. Is the Java 7 version any better in this regard?
In the Android app, on the Shield, have you gone into settings and given it max amount memory? The sluggishness that you re experiencing could be related to having to flush out the image caches. For my shield I've set the memory to 512mb if I recall.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Stuckless,
I want to start by thanking you for all of your work on the Sage docker that I use and for the Android miniclient which I will probably be using fairly soon.

Since the subject of this thread is Shield performance and I am leaning towards getting the Shield, I thought it would be as good a place as any to ask the question: which Android TV device should I get to play recordings from an HDHR Prime and an original HD-PVR if all I want is stereo output? I am running Sage on an unRaid box (Core i3-8100 with 8 gigs). One of my HD300s abruptly died and I need a replacement. While I am not adverse to getting the Mi Box along with a usb to Ethernet adapter, I would like to stream Amazon and Netflix as well.

Again, thanks.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhorer View Post
Stuckless,
I want to start by thanking you for all of your work on the Sage docker that I use and for the Android miniclient which I will probably be using fairly soon.

Since the subject of this thread is Shield performance and I am leaning towards getting the Shield, I thought it would be as good a place as any to ask the question: which Android TV device should I get to play recordings from an HDHR Prime and an original HD-PVR if all I want is stereo output? I am running Sage on an unRaid box (Core i3-8100 with 8 gigs). One of my HD300s abruptly died and I need a replacement. While I am not adverse to getting the Mi Box along with a usb to Ethernet adapter, I would like to stream Amazon and Netflix as well.

Again, thanks.
I think the that the Shield is the best device, today. I have both a MiBox and a Shield and I use them both. The Shield definately a little smoother. In terms of playback... I only have hdvr .ts files for recorded tv and both devices work well in playing back the content. Not sure what the HDHR device produces... but if it's mpeg2, then, not sure about the results. Some people have good success, others not so much.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

To report back in, I changed my Shield from using Wifi to Ethernet, and it is much snappier. I've tested with a few videos and have not had the slow interface issues anymore. I didn't adjust the memory settings, but when I scroll down in settings, it does say 512 MB is available for the app (don't remember the exact verbiage).

I'm guessing that my local Wifi has some latency it's adding to the process, and the communications is chatty enough that the difference in latency from Wifi to Ethernet makes a noticeable difference...
Old 05-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have to say I'm liking the shield client more and more.
One thing that helped a lot was changing the default interval between smart remote presses to a smaller value, which made operation much more responsive.

One thing I really would like to see added, and would solve the last remaining remote issue for me, would be to add long press right and left to the smart remote.

What I'd like to see:

1. In EPG, I want to see long press right or left to skip ahead or back one day. This is how >> and << work with sage remote. Long press up/down works fine, why not right/left?

2. While in playback mode, long press right and left should also do what >> and << do with the sage remote, i.e. large skips forward/backward.

I know both of these can be worked around with an on screen control but that has two disadvantages, first that it takes a lot longer and second that it obscures the EPG with the overlay.

Is there any obstacle to implementing this? IMHO, it would be a huge increase in ease of use.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
I have to say I'm liking the shield client more and more.
One thing that helped a lot was changing the default interval between smart remote presses to a smaller value, which made operation much more responsive.

One thing I really would like to see added, and would solve the last remaining remote issue for me, would be to add long press right and left to the smart remote.

What I'd like to see:

1. In EPG, I want to see long press right or left to skip ahead or back one day. This is how >> and << work with sage remote. Long press up/down works fine, why not right/left?

2. While in playback mode, long press right and left should also do what >> and << do with the sage remote, i.e. large skips forward/backward.

I know both of these can be worked around with an on screen control but that has two disadvantages, first that it takes a lot longer and second that it obscures the EPG with the overlay.

Is there any obstacle to implementing this? IMHO, it would be a huge increase in ease of use.
#1 - It could likely be done fairly eaily
#2 - I like long press left/right to be commercial skip and not << >>

Ideally it would be nice if there were some configuration mapping that would allow people to simply confgure the smart remote how they like, since everyone likes 90% but always wants something different for that last 10%
Old 05-25-2018, 07:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
#1 - It could likely be done fairly eaily
#2 - I like long press left/right to be commercial skip and not << >>

Ideally it would be nice if there were some configuration mapping that would allow people to simply confgure the smart remote how they like, since everyone likes 90% but always wants something different for that last 10%
i hadn't thought of another option for #2.............interesting.
fortunately, the work around for #2 is practical.

anyone have an objection to implementing #1?
since bringing up the onscreen options blocks the program listings, i don't see a workaround for this.
it would be much appreciated as i like to skip ahead a day at a time in my program listings.

Last edited by cat6man; 05-25-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

@stuckless

#1 please???
Old 05-30-2018, 01:14 PM
SageTVaholic

I've added an issue for it... unfortunately... my time as of late has not been good for working on SageTV stuff (The will is there... just I have so man other work related projects, that finding time for sagetv is hard these days)

https://github.com/OpenSageTV/sagetv...ient/issues/77
Old 05-31-2018, 12:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I've added an issue for it... unfortunately... my time as of late has not been good for working on SageTV stuff (The will is there... just I have so man other work related projects, that finding time for sagetv is hard these days)

https://github.com/OpenSageTV/sagetv...ient/issues/77
understood..........and very grateful here for the time you spent on the client already (it is now my default client)

cheers

edit: actually 77 is a dupe for #69 on the list