SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Australia/New Zealand
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Australia/New Zealand SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the Land Down Under - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Australia and New Zealand.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Sage User

Roslyn outputs black and white

I have installed the Roslyn/Sage bundle but cannot get even watchable output.

Whether I use s-video or composite, the result is very poor quality black and white.

I have checked the leads. I am definitely selecting the appropriate source in Sage.

My suspicion is that the card is capturing/playing in NTSC but my VGA card (Asus 9600XT) is PAL.

I have also tried one suggestion from these forums of entering a dword into HKLM/Frey/Common that NTSC=0, but that made no difference.

My drivers for Sage/Roslyn and the VGA are the latest available.

I have looked at the regedits at shspvr, but the suggestions there do not correlate to the registry setup with the Roslyn Card and I have sufficient respect for 'Reg', to stop me fiddling with him in the dark.

Edit
A search of the net reveals that other Hauppage card users have had this problem. Two registry solutions have been posted.

Option 1: Change TVFormat from 0 to 1 in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Globespan\Parameters\ivac15\Driver

Option 2: S-video - you willneed to set the registry value of "VideoFormat" in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\hauppauge\hcwpNP\Override]
to dword:0000003f

The problem is I do not have anything like these entries in my Win XP Pro registry.

At least these posts tend to confirm the diagnosis!

Last edited by Ozviewer; 07-24-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

I hope you get an answer from another PAL user as I'm not sure there are too many users in Australia that have a roslyn.
Option 1 does not apply to the roslyn, its for a PVR350 or old PVR250
Not sure about option 2.

If you can use "Graphedit" that would tell you if the roslyn is running in NTSC.
I think you'll find "Graphedit" at SHSPVR

As for the fix, I can't help as I don't own a roslyn but I know a lot about PAL Blackbirds.
Hope you find a fix soon.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:49 AM
Sage User

Roslyn/Blackbird

Thanks for the reply Ian. I had thought that Blackbird and Roslyn were interchangeable terms, but I guess that Roslyn is Hauppage's version.

I will have to wait and hope for some assistance. Because my registry does not contain anything like the same directories as the suggested solutions for the other cards, I cannot even try them. Perhaps there was a change with SP1.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Sage User

Hi,

The Roslyn bundle being sold by Frey is a NTSC/NTSC-J tuner model - ie is a North America / Japan market card. It won't tune PAL. I confirmed this with Frey Support when the bundle first came available a couple of months ago as it's actually mentioned in the specs.

You should, however, be able to use S-Video or Composite and get a colour picture - it's only the tuner that doesn't support PAL.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Sage User

Roslyn B & W

Quote:
Originally posted by hoadie
Hi,

The Roslyn bundle being sold by Frey is a NTSC/NTSC-J tuner model - ie is a North America / Japan market card. It won't tune PAL. I confirmed this with Frey Support when the bundle first came available a couple of months ago as it's actually mentioned in the specs.

You should, however, be able to use S-Video or Composite and get a colour picture - it's only the tuner that doesn't support PAL.
I have not tried the tuner, I would not expect it to work.

I also confirmed with Sage that the tuner would not work when I purchased the bundle from Sage.

However, I was assured that the card would accept PAL video input from composite and s-video.

But I cannot receive anything other than very poor quality B & W when a signal is input to the card.

The only explanation I can think of is that the card is expecting an NTSC signal, but it is getting a PAL signal and this is affecting the PQ.

I have looked and looked for a registry setting, but I cannot find one. All suggestions gratefully received.

Last edited by Ozviewer; 08-15-2004 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Sage User

Hi,

I only have the PVR-250 & 350 so I don't have any first hand experience with the Rosyln, but from what I've read (and what Frey also told me) it should work with composite / s-video.

Couple of quick questions:-
1. Do you have Sage working successfully with other cards?

If this is a fresh install and you've not had this working with any other cards before, you might want to check that the country setting in the sage.propteries setting is set for Australia, ie

mmc/country_code=61

2. Have you tried using another tuner or capture program? You can try the trial Sage Recorder, BeyondTV etc just for the purposes of getting a picture.

Let me know how you get on - I was thinking of getting the Rosyln card and hooking it up to the output of my digital set top box.

Also, just out of interest, what're you using for an XMLTV feed?

Ben
Old 08-01-2004, 01:39 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by hoadie
Hi,

I only have the PVR-250 & 350 so I don't have any first hand experience with the Rosyln, but from what I've read (and what Frey also told me) it should work with composite / s-video.

Couple of quick questions:-
1. Do you have Sage working successfully with other cards?

If this is a fresh install and you've not had this working with any other cards before, you might want to check that the country setting in the sage.propteries setting is set for Australia, ie

mmc/country_code=61

2. Have you tried using another tuner or capture program? You can try the trial Sage Recorder, BeyondTV etc just for the purposes of getting a picture.

Let me know how you get on - I was thinking of getting the Rosyln card and hooking it up to the output of my digital set top box.

Also, just out of interest, what're you using for an XMLTV feed?

Ben
Hoadie,
1. To the extent that it works at all, the Roslyn does not confict with a Dvico Fusion card.

2. Good suggestion. I discovered that the Roslyn card will only work through Sage if Gottv (now Got All Media is installed and configured) and then only for timed recording. Sage instantly crashes if used for any other purpose, including viewing the timed recording.

3. XMLTV is a low priority. Getting the Roslyn to work with Sage is top priority.

Have you considered getting the Dvico Fusion for HD capture instead of using an analogue card from your STU?
Old 08-05-2004, 06:19 AM
Sage User

Regarding the Dvico Fusion, I take it you mean the DVT-B model. How have you got that working with Sage?

Ben
Old 08-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ozviewer,

I have had similar problem, I purchased a pvr-250 about 12 months ago & yes everything is black & white & the sound is all "chipmunk'ish" using the RF tuner

The reason whay as stated above is that its an NTSC tuner (((

so I switched to composite and the problem went away until I switched from BeyondTV/Snapstrem to SageTV v2, no matter what I did with sage (properties files, regional settings etc) I still could not get sage to show the correct image & get correct sound.

What I do now (this is a pain but it works) is I still have beyondtv/snapstream loaded on the HTPC, when I restart the PC I have to load Beyond/snapstream first, exit out & then fire up sage & everything is perfect! colour pic, correct sound

you may want to give this ago, Iam led to beleive this same trick will work if you load the win2000 software that came with the pvr card.

hope this helps.

Regards
Paul.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulG
What I do now (this is a pain but it works) is I still have beyondtv/snapstream loaded on the HTPC, when I restart the PC I have to load Beyond/snapstream first, exit out & then fire up sage & everything is perfect! colour pic, correct sound

you may want to give this ago, Iam led to beleive this same trick will work if you load the win2000 software that came with the pvr card.
Living in France (PAL) and using PVR-350, I have the same prob as you have: Sage TV is running in b&w whereas WinTV 2000 is working fine.

I can confirm that launching/exiting WinTV 2000 before launching Sage TV makes Sage TV running in colors!

A little pain in the ass, but at least, it's working...

See ya,
Old 08-15-2004, 05:40 AM
Sage User

Apples & Oranges

I cannot comment on the experience with the 250 and 350. They are very different cards to the Roslyn. You might also be talking about tuner input. I am talking about direct video feed via cable composite or s-video.

I have been in regular contact with Sage support; I have posted on boards all over the world; I have had the benefit of expert assistance from Ian Norman (www.iln.com.au) whose technical knowledge is remarkable.

No-one has been able to tell me how to get the Roslyn card working with Sage in PAL and no-one has responded saying they have succeeded.

I had to get on with my life after spending countless hours trying to get it to work.

A few days ago I purchased the Provideo 258 Blackbird card from Ian (although he was more than willing to keep helping me to get the Roslyn working, even though it is a competitor's product!).

I installed it yesterday. It worked out of the box with Sage.

I am not suprised the Roslyn card is no longer on the Sage website store.

I will now have to take up this up with Sage, as I bought the bundle on the written assurance it would work with PAL. It doesn't.

Last edited by Ozviewer; 08-17-2004 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ozviewer,

Yes I have the same setup (my pvr-250 was sourced from the US hence an NTSC tuner) uing the composite input.

Wow.. I didn't know they pulled the cards off the store

Technically speaking it does work with PAL.... you just need to do "other stuff(TM)" first
Old 08-17-2004, 04:22 AM
Sage User

Roslyn NOT the same as PVR250

Paul G

As I said in my last post:
Quote:
I cannot comment on the experience with the 250 and 350. They are very different cards to the Roslyn.
If you have a ROSLYN, not a 250, and you have been able to make it work with Sage in PAL, I would be very interested to know how.

I know of ways to make the 250/350 work. They are well documented.