SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Sage Icon

Added 2nd Tuner now remote doesn't work

I added a second 250 today. Everything went well and they both show up and work in Sage with one problem.....

The remote doesn't work any more.

The IR application from Hauppauge works fine. I'm not getting the "Failed to Initialize Hardware", The icon is in the task tray.

I remember someone saying move the IR plug to the new tuner. I tried it on both, but it just doesn't make Sage do anything any more.

Do I have to re-install Sage again? Please tell me NO. I've spent two weeks tweaking Sage and have it just the way I want it. If I re-install for the remote I'll have to do it all over again.

If I DO have to re-install, is there a way to save all the files, databases, etc?

Thanks for any help!

Stacy
Old 07-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Sage User

You may have overwritten your irremote.ini file while installing the new tuner.

Open your irremote.ini file in notepad and see if you have the entries for sage in it.

The irremote.ini file is normally found in c:\windows\ folder.

-mark
Old 07-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Sage Fanatic

If you do ever have (or want) to redo things from scratch. Just copy the 2 wiz.bin and the 2 sagetv.properties files over to a different folder for safe keeping.

Likewise, if you did any customization the the hauppauge irremote.ini file, copy that file also for safe keeping.

Then, after you re-install things just copy those files back before you run SageTV the first time and (with luck) you should have all your settings, favorites, etc. all there again.

As for the remote not working, you may need to run the setup file from the CD to finish the updater. Shouldn't really have to re-install anything else.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Sage Icon

How would I have overwritten the iiremote.ini file?

That file is still there.

I did run HWCLEAR from the hauppauge CD becuase sage couldn't see either tuner when I installed the new one.

Does sage movidy the irremote.ini file when you say to load the 250/350 IR remote commands.

I guess I'm trying to troubleshoot this before I just re-install Sage again.

Any advice?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

When you install the Hauppauge IR remote software it creates the irremote.ini file. When you install SageTV and select the option for the IR remote, it adds to that file.

If the original file is not there, SageTV may have created a partial file with only its own section.

Just open the file in notepad and you can see if everything is there, or only the SageTV section.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Sage Icon

Sorry my last post was a little premature.

I looked into irremote.ini and, sure enough, there's no Sage section in it.

I REALLY, REALLY don't want to re-install sage.

What if I installed Sage on another PC, copied the irremote.ini file to that PC, told Sage to use the 250 remote so it would modify the irremote ini file on the new machine, then copied the file back to the sage server?

Smart or Wile E. Coyote smart? :-)
Old 07-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Sage Fanatic

Just as a side note... Whenever you install another tuner card you only need to install the drivers for it. You do NOT need to install any of the other stuff over again.

After the driver install and a reboot, when you start SageTV it should detect the new card. All you then have to do is go into the Wizard to add it and a channel line up for it (just like you did for setting up the first one).
Old 07-24-2004, 09:19 AM
Sage User

I'm not sure if HWCLEAR overwrites the irremote.ini file or not. But Sage does modify the file during the install.

If you open the irremote.ini file, there should be a [SageTV] entry near the bottom of the file. If it is not there, then that would be the problem.

If that is the case, you could re-install Sage to fix it, but might be easier to get a copy of the modifed irremote.ini from someone else.

I would offer you mine, but it is heavily modifed, as I map everything to Girder and use a JP1 capable remote.

HTH

-mark
Old 07-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by srothwell

Easiest thing to do then would be (as I mentioned in other post) just copy the 2 wiz.bin files and the 2 sagetv.properties files off somewhere for safe keeping.

Re-install SageTV making sure to mark the check box for the IR remote stuff, and then just drop those other 4 files back into the SageTV folder (before running SageTV).
Old 07-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by srothwell

I REALLY, REALLY don't want to re-install sage.
Then DON'T reinstall it.

See my sig lines -- the 3rd post in the 'basics' link has a basic ini file that you can then extend to your preferences. OR, you could take this opportunity to download the latest IR software and then use the sample ini in post #15 of the 'no focus' link so that you can control SageTV w/o requiring focus in order for that remote to work. (The newer IR software has some good fixes & new command additions.)

Finally, remember to make a backup of your ini this time.

- Andy

Edit: just fixed a typo... not sure what "gub" is, but it should have been "good"... oh well.
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 07-24-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the info.

Fixed the problem. Just installed Sage on another PC then copied the irremote.ini file back to the server.

Oh, yes I will most definitely backup files from now on