SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Could be. This machine has been running 24/7 for almost ten years now... there were probably uncountable times that Java was updated/upgraded including all those times in the past that required uninstalling (with separate stand-alone software) prior to upgrading. In any event, I am not a tinkerer so the standard/default way of installation would have been used every time.

A little off-topic but I am constantly amazed that this machine has been operating that long with no repairs other than software issues. I do, every couple years or so, shut it off, open it up, and blow the dust out. Well, it has gone through three monitors. I fully expect it to simply die one day so I don't get too excited when things go wrong. I would miss it, however. It is like a member of the family.
Has the same hard drive lasted for your system for that period of time? My SageTV server is probably about 8 years old but I replaced the system hard drive with an SSD and then that original SSD died so I am on the third system drive. But that machine has become my backup server as my main server is now running unRAID rather than Windows.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Has the same hard drive lasted for your system for that period of time?
Yes, it is still running all of the original equipment.

I had become friends with a lady who owned a computer repair shop (back when there was such a thing). They built this machine from scratch using what I asked for -- top of the line parts. It cost me a bit more (well, quite a bit) than off-the-shelf brand name. (I wish she was still around -- I really need an upgrade from my current 3-year old model.)

It was my main computer for several years until my software needs outgrew its capability. It has an Intel 6600@2.40 ghz cpu with 4 gb RAM running a 32 bit Vista Ultimate OS.

It has a C: and D: drive -- both 250 GB. I have over time attached 6 external drives (2 and 3 TB each) and 2 NAS drives (3 TB each). These drives hold mostly programming recorded by SageTV (duplicated) and some back up of files on my current desktop system.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

It is actually pretty easy to build a PC yourself. I used to buy from Dell, then I gave a shop my list of components and had them build it, now I just buy everything online and built it myself. And if you have old PCs you can often reuse some of the hardware - at least things like a case and power supply. The trickiest/scariest thing is mounting the heat sink on the CPU but that isn't bad once you get used to it. And you can customize it completely ensuring that you only buy what you need and you can also focus on things that may be important to you - like having a silent or nearly silent PC.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
It is actually pretty easy to build a PC yourself. I used to buy from Dell, then I gave a shop my list of components and had them build it, now I just buy everything online and built it myself. And if you have old PCs you can often reuse some of the hardware - at least things like a case and power supply. The trickiest/scariest thing is mounting the heat sink on the CPU but that isn't bad once you get used to it. And you can customize it completely ensuring that you only buy what you need and you can also focus on things that may be important to you - like having a silent or nearly silent PC.
I agree completely and I certainly have the "skill" and confidence to do such a thing. I have over the years (25+) replaced many internal parts; fans, hard drives, memory, power supplies, etc. The part that I don't feel I can bring any value to the table is my time. I would much prefer to pay someone else to spend the time it takes to assemble my parts list and then to, actually, sit down and assemble it. From (prefer not to talk about) experience, I know shopping for even the most basic part takes a lot of time if only just sorting out the suppliers. Perhaps, if I did it on a regular basis I would be efficient enough to compete on that level with someone who does it as their main job. In the meantime, however, my time is (in my mind) more valuable than what it would cost to pay someone else.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

I know what you are saying - I highly value my time as well. I find that researching the right components is what takes the bulk of the time. We all like to do things that don't really make sense for an economic perspective and tinkering with computers and electronics is my vice.

I still like to assemble a computer every once in a while as it takes me back to my undergrad days as an Electrical Engineer. The last time a couple of years ago I did this I had my (then) seven year old daughter help so that she can learn a bit more about what goes into a computer.

I have two HTPC client machines that use HD-Plex cases where the case acts as the heat sink. These are kind of specialized and you can't really get them in shops, although I guess you could have someone put it together for you. Strangely enough I don't really run SageTV on these PCs as I prefer the extenders, but I could do so if I wanted to.