SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

JVMMaxHeapSizeMB not working in WHS version...

Please tell me I'm overlooking something stupid... Running the WHS version of Sage and have been getting some stuttering and circle-of-death delays. Finally checked the JVM usage (via default STV over placeshifter) and the last two numbers were 266/266. From the forums this looks like I've been maxing out the Java heap, so I went to check it and realized I had already modified it before (it was set at 0x200). I restarted the Sage service (just in case), but it didn't help.

Is there something different in how the memory allocation is read from the registry because the WHS version of sage uses a bundled JRE? I prowled through the bundled JRE for a while and didn't see anything that smelled like memory allocation settings. Any ideas?

For reference, here's a .reg dump of my current setting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\SageTV]
"JVMMaxHeapSizeMB"=dword:00000200

Cheers,
Slipshod
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 10-04-2008, 03:55 AM
SageTVaholic

From your post it is not clear where you are running the placeshifter. Are you running it on the WHS machine or from a remote machine?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
From your post it is not clear where you are running the placeshifter. Are you running it on the WHS machine or from a remote machine?
Remote machine, but I didn't think it would matter. Isn't the setting a server-based one, and doesn't the "System Info" screen report the memory consumption on the server regardless of whether you are local or remote?

I just checked the registry on the machine I ran placeshifter from, and it doesn't even have HKLM/Software/Frey Technologies...

Cheers,
Slipshod
2x Roku XD
Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 AM
SageTVaholic

I think the placeshifter will report heap size of the local machine.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I think the placeshifter will report heap size of the local machine.
I don't think that's right. The Placeshifter UI executes on the server, just like an Extender UI. Only the screen updates are sent to the client.

Just to be sure I brought up SageTVClient and Placeshifter on the same client box, and they report different numbers for the heap size. The Client numbers match the locally configured heap size; the Placeshifter numbers match the server's.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I opened a ticket with support last night, so they can sort it out... I'll update when I know more.
2x Roku XD
Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Sage User

Adjusting JVM Heap Size

Hi guys.

I am having a lot of problems with the "grey circle of death" on my extenders ever since the last update. I have read about adjusting the heap size to help eliminate this issue. My current setup is as follows:

Server: V6.4.8.185
Java: 1.6.0_07
JVM Heap Size (as reported on the server): xx/220MB/266MB

Whenever my extenders freeze xx is usually peaked very close to the max.

I have Windows Vista (32bit) Intel Core2 Quad with 2GB of ram and 2 WINTV-1800 capture cards.

Following the direction given in past threads, I have gone into my REGEDIT to modify the heap size. The issue is I can not find where you modify it. When I go into REGEDIT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Frey Technologies\, I only have \COMMON which contains \Additional Capture Settings or \DS Filters. All of the past threads suggest their should be a \SAGE TV directory which contains the JVM MAX HEAP SIZE setting. This is not there. Can some one please explain what I am doing wrong?

* merged *
Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Sage Icon

I think this is the same issue:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36011

Ask slipshod if he got a response from Support
Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 AM
Sage User

On a Vista machine, the key is located in a different path in the registry. On mine it is:

HKEY_USERS\<some long id>\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\SageTV.

I had the same problem and found it by doing an Edit:Find in the Registry Editor.

Last edited by spvoyek; 10-14-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Sage User

Thats it!

Thanks, i could have sworn I went through all the iterations but I must have missed it.

Thanks again!