SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Sage User

zap2xml

I have been using zap2xml for some time. If you want I can give you instructions on how to set it up, it is somewhat non-trivial. What you want to use is the plug-in mc2xml. Mc2xml is a program very similar to zap2xml, presumably written by the same guy. You can use zap2xml with this plug-in, however you can't use the zap2xml executable. You have to use the Pearl script version and make some changes to it in order for it to be compatible with the mc2xml plugin. The changes you have to make are very minor and I can post them here. Let me know if anyone's interested in these instructions. Also, mc2xml is an abandoned plug-in now, however, a while back I found a copy of the source code online. I was able to update the source code so that it would be compatible with sagetv version 9. If anyone's interested in this let me know.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Why do you use it? To save the SD fee or does SD not have a TV provider that you need?
Old 08-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Sage User

The answer is neither. Once every couple years I build a new computer. On my last build I decided to focus on squaring away every issue I ever had with my DVR software. You see, I was a previous user of Windows Media Center. I used it in conjunction with third-party software so that it may be compatible with the HD-PVR. I always got horrible results with this setup. On this build, after some research, I focused upon using sagetv version 7 in conjunction with the HD-PVR 2. I found Sagetv to be easily customized and I was able to square away every issue I had with it. One of the things that I researched was where to get really reliable EPG data. The end result of my research was that schedules direct was definitely the way to go. However, before I had reached this conclusion, I had already figured out how to use zap2xml with sage. Since sagetv already allows you to use schedules Direct, I decided there was no reason to post anything on this forum. However, a couple of days ago a person posted a question inquiring about zap2xml. So I thought I'd respond.

Basically, I'm using zap2xml out of laziness. When sagetv shutdown the EPG service, I simply went back to zap2xml because I had already figured out how to use it. However, I do agree that schedules direct is the way to go.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am interested. Options are always good, thank you!!
Old 08-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Why do you use it? To save the SD fee or does SD not have a TV provider that you need?
I am interested, too. I converted to Schedules Direct in early June. The changeover went smoothly and overall it's nice to have an extra week of future schedule. However, we lost EPGs for a fair number of our critical channels, all of which are FTA (free-to-air satellite).

SD actually has guide data for each of the channels, but the manner in which one needs to access them is broken or subject to constraints in their software. I filed three problem reports with SD at the end of June, and while they seemed very eager at first to solve the problems, nothing has happened. I've asked them since for updates on my issues, but they no longer are replying.

If this continues I will have to find an alternate source for our FTA channels, such as zap2xml, because the utility of Sage for us has worsened considerably. We've effectively lost a whole block of channels, and these are the ones we watch the most. I don't mind paying for EPGs, but when I pay and don't get them, then I am frustrated.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:35 PM
Sage User

Zap2xml Instructions

I hear you! Instructions got very long so I'm attaching them as a text file. Please let me know how you make out!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Zap2xml.txt (18.2 KB, 787 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Sage User

multiple lineups

I said something inaccurate in my instructions. I wrote the instructions for a single lineup only, and I provided a suggestion as to how one might go about setting up multiple lineups. I simply wrote the first solution that came to mind. However, afterwards I realized that there's a painfully simple way to set up multiple lineups. In your "mc2xml.bat" simply place one line that calls another batch file named "zap2xml.bat".
You don't have to use the call command simply list the batch file like so:

zap2xml.bat

Then create a "zap2xml.bat" in your lineup directory containing your Pearl script command line like so:

set TZ=GMT
perl C:\EPG\zap2xml.pl -u user@email.xx -p password -U -F -L -T -D -d 14 -N 7 -r 20

I changed the zap2xml.pl to have an absolute path as you can see "C:\EPG\zap2xml.pl".

Move your zap2xml.pl into the "C:\EPG" directory. This way you only need to keep one "zap2xml.pl" rather than have one in each lineup directory.

So, create as many lineup directories in the "SageTV\SageTV\plugins\mc2xmlepg\" directory as you like. Each one of these directories should contain a "lineup.properties" file with a unique name and id number inside. For simplicity it's best if you name the directory the same as the name you put in your "lineup.properties" file. Each directory should also contain a "zap2xml.bat" file containing a unique username and password for an account that is configured for the lineup that you seek for that directory. You can simply use temporary email to set up your Zap2it accounts. Each directory must also contain the dummy "mc2xml.dat" file.

Now the mc2xml plugin will call "mc2xml.bat" which will call a unique "zap2xml.bat" in each lineup directory. And, you have your multiple lineups. I tested this and it works perfect.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Awesome info!! Thank you very much for taking the time t.ziu!!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am interested in the new version for v9

Last edited by Eternal; 08-16-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Sage User

mc2xml v9 compatable

t.ziu THANK YOU for this thread!!!

When my EPG for SageTV 7 went down last month, I upgraded to SageTv 9, in hopes to get back a free EPG. So far, No luck.

t.ziu I am very interested in getting the new version of mc2xml.

I have been trying to get an alternative to Schedules Direct for a while now. I only have 6 channels that need a guide

THANK YOU!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Sage User

Good EPG Alternative

Thanks to t.ziu.
I rolled back to Sagetv 7
I now have EPG working again.
Instructions look complicated, but they are written VERY WELL

Thank You t.ziu.

If you ever have the chance, I would love to get the new V9 plug-in mc2xml.

THANK YOU.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm going to try this out this weekend.

My Win7 computer doesn't play nice with installs or upgrades, so I'm not willing to push it to STV9. We've just been using it like a dumb, stupid VCR for the last month, and putting in timed recordings for the few things that we want to record over the summer. That can't go on into September!

Hopefully, this can move me along until I have the time and money to build a new server and move on to STV9.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Fantastic... V7 is back up and running
Old 10-30-2017, 11:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

so no v9 version available?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.ziu View Post
I was able to update the source code so that it would be compatible with sagetv version 9. If anyone's interested in this let me know.
Says right there its compatible with v9,

I haven't tried it however.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7g View Post

I dont think you understand.
You cant actually install the mc2xml plugin from within sage like his instructions say
Its disabled for v9
Old 12-31-2017, 07:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7g View Post

Actually it says he updated his local copy to make it work with v9 and anyone interested should let him know. It doesn't sound like he published his changes, so you will probably need to contact him. Hopefully he still checks the forums.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

So no one else has to fight through diagnosing zap2it issues... something changed on the zap2it side, and you need to download (and modify) a new copy of the perl script to handle the changes.

After updating the script, I had to clear and reconfigure the video sources and everything is back up and running.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1234 View Post
So no one else has to fight through diagnosing zap2it issues...
The Schedules Direct subscription price is low enough that it comes out ahead for me when weighing against any kind of on-going property file/settings maintenance or even a couple of unexpected EPG drops throughout the year. IMO, SD is even better than the previous data implementation built-into Sage. Same provider, Tribune, but now with more data and more responsive lineup corrections (that's means more channels in specific lineups and more days ahead for scheduling).
Old 01-20-2018, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1234 View Post
So no one else has to fight through diagnosing zap2it issues... something changed on the zap2it side, and you need to download (and modify) a new copy of the perl script to handle the changes.

After updating the script, I had to clear and reconfigure the video sources and everything is back up and running.
Why are you using that rather than Schedules Direct?