SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
Dish Network and Cable channels missing

Ok, I did setup one PVR-350 card to Dish Network channels. Some channels were listed with a green dot as on but when I tried to tune to them they were missing or not listed in TV Guide. Next I did add my cable box to PVR-250 that I have, so I did set it up but also lots of green dors in channel setup but no channels such as 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 etc. For example CBS I get on 243 (Dish Network) but I cannot see it on my cable box setup on PVR-250. How can I have both CBS channels? It is handy for example for recording something on channel 4 and then on channel 243 for example. If I have those local channels available only on sat then I cannot record on both publich channels that are available either here or there. How can I add all the channels and have them visible??? Please help, its driving me nuts.

Chris
Old 07-20-2004, 08:04 PM
SageTVaholic

remove both line ups
then add the dish one and choose make all channels available in channel setup and then remove the unwanted ones

then once you get that working reboot and add the cable line up
I do not know why you having these issues
I have not experienced them with my DirecTV cable lineups
but not duplicating any channels currently but have in the past
Old 07-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

I did try that. Somehow I am unable to add channels like 2, 4, 5 and so forth when I have my dish channels in... not even all the dish channels I am able to get it. I did a little trick on dish for example channels 607, 608 and 609, I did unselect them and then I did remap them to the same channel numbers and they finally did apear in the tv guide and I am able to switch to them, but those are the channels from dish, channels from cable (most of the channels that are duplicate from my dish are not comming up in sage live tv guide... it is driving me crazy...
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:27 PM
SageTVaholic

have you tried recording from 4,5 etc.... with both tuners to make sure that you can
because normally remapping just remaps the guide data to the channel number
so I think this would not work
for dish unless 4,5 etc are available in Dish
it is probably just using the cable input to the other tuner

but I just tried to do what you are doing
and got the same expereince

I would report this as a bug
I do not know why Sage would want this behavior
not allowing duplicates

I do not know why the Dish network will not allow you have all of its channels though

are you sure you have selected the correct Dish setup if there is more than one

are you able to tune channels from the Dish that you are not able to get with cable?

also how have you setup this?

did you setup this up as an external tuner
are you using svideo, composite, or coxial output to the pvr card
do you have an IR blaster to control the Dish box?

are you sure you are even getting the Dish channels?
and not just the analogue cable

do you notice a difference when choosing a Dish channel rather than an analogue cable channel?

there should be
digital looks normally much better than analogue cable

if you report a bug to sage it should be just for the duplicates issue
unless you just want help with the setup

please try to answer as many as possible
just need more info

but the no duplicates is weak and strange
Old 07-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the info, well on my dish network channels do start at channel 100, on my cable box they start at channel 1. What I was trying to get is lets say CBS, on my cable box it is on channel 2, while on my dish network it is channel 243. I would like both of those channels to apear under TV Guide in my sage tv. Somehow I am unable to do so.

As you did indicate it might be some kond of a bug in SageTV software, but I do not know who to indicate it to. It might be done by purpose since if duplicate channels were to be found maybe there is some conflict and SageTV could crash or something since how would it determine which channel to lock and which channel to record or not etc. Anyway I am glad its not just me who has this problem since i was driving me nuts

Yes, dish will not allow me to have all the channels, that is shy I need to go trough as many as I can to see if I can see it or not, which is ok, just a configuration, but my locals I get on both cable and dish

I am able to get to for example channel setup on one of my cards (dish) andview channel 243. I have green dot next to it. Then I go to my cable channel config and I can view channel 2, have green dot next to it. Then when I get out of channel setup I only see channel 243 in the list and cannot see channel 2 which is a duplicate of the previous. The same holds for other channels that are local or duplicate for that matter.

I have two cards one PVR-350 and the other PVR-250 (i know there is some issue with them, they are crashing my system)

they both are connected to svideo, but PVR-350 is conencted to my dish, and PVR-250 is connected to my cable box.

I do use USB IR blaster to controll both cable and dish boxes to tune to channels, I go it working so that it does controll both od my devices very nicely. Please note that lets say I want to tune to other channel that is not duplicate on either system and it works just fine. Lets say I have channel 100 on dish and channel 100 on my cable I can tune to either one of those channels. It is just one alwasy preceds the other but they are both channels 100...
My cable box is a digital box from Time Warner NY.

I hope I did answer most of those questions. Is there a forum for reporting bugs? or i do sent them an email?

Thank you so much.

Chris
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:21 PM
SageTVaholic

http://www.sage.tv/request.html
well thats the support request
maybe they can get a release 2.0.21 out so you can get the duplicates (and I) but there are issues

thats cool I did not know you had two boxes

you know there are beta drivers to get correct the issue with mixing the pvr 250 and 350
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&threadid=5879

for the new drivers

I am surprised that they do not allow duplicates
but I think I know why
because different providers probably assign different show info codes than others
I record motorweek and I duplicates of the episodes one from speed and one from kera
and the same show has different info and show codes

they probably do not tie up both tuners with one show recording twice from both line ups
this would not help resolve conflicts not would it

why are using digital cable and dish ?
would it not be cheapier just to get another dish box or cable box ?

what channels are you not getting from Dish?

and have you tried to record two shows both from local channels?
since you thought you had the locals resolved

but I am pretty sure this is because of the show info data

maybe you could use only one of the tuners and setup the other with Sagerecorder
I know it means spending 18 more dollars

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_inf...products_id=56

but I would definitely submit a request for support

Last edited by kny3twalker; 07-21-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Awesome, thank you so much for your info.

Yes, sorry about that, I do have two separate boxes (cable and dish).

As far as the drivers are concerned I have newer drivers installed. I got new PVR-250 and it has the driver CD 1.8a, which drivers are 22168 or 22166 and not 22162. I think if I have those newer drivers they would have such fix already implemented so I did not update them yesterday (to reolve my crashes and the PVR-250 and PVR-350mix)

The reason why I have two different systems is simple, I am polish and on cable I have one polish channel (channel 556) and on dish I have few other channels 607, 608 and 609. So since I am payiong for this alreay I wanted to have Sage controlling them both and recording from either device. Not only tha, I wanted to have 1 output stream for both devices so that if I chose to show one channel or the different channel no matter which device it is on I could get it from one main Sage TV unit. It so far is pretty amazing as far as I can asy. I love it.

On my dish when I was first configuring it I was not getting channels 607 and 609 while 608 did show up. What I did was I removed green dot from those 3 channels and I did reassign them and they started to show up. It was very brief thing and I haave those channels in my dish. I did not notice any other channels missing but also on the other hand I was notlooking for missing channels on dish. Cable box was connected as a second feed so the configuration probably has those channels missing because of that. I could try to setup cable first and then try dish and see if dish channels would be missing.

I do agree with you on that channel ID not beeing in sync. Probably that is a very good reason why we have this issue but then it prevents me from recording lets say from two local channels at the same time. What SageTV should be doing is to look on both channels that have the same name, for example WCBS and then look at thos ID's, if they would be at the same time probably then it should make smart decision about those shows maybe beeing the same.. I dont know the logic SageTV has build in but would love to see all my duplicate channels listed

I am not sure what you suggesting for the $18, I mean the idea of having the SageTV controlling everything was to be able to record at any given time what I wanted to record, will Sagerecorder be able to tune to my other local channel and record as sagetv would? I am not sure, I never tried it... I just wanted the automate way of doing all this thing I think if sagetv would get this request in it would be amazing and I would be so happy...

I just ordered PVR-250 and will replace my PVR-350 so in thi system I will have two PVR-250's and hope it will resolve my constant crashes issue. If I dont do anything on the SageTV but use SageClient on a different machine I do reduce number of hard resets. Lets hope the mix of those two cards is the problem...

Thanks for the info once again and for all your help.

Chris
Old 07-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by chrysek
As far as the drivers are concerned I have newer drivers installed. I got new PVR-250 and it has the driver CD 1.8a, which drivers are 22168 or 22166 and not 22162. I think if I have those newer drivers they would have such fix already implemented so I did not update them yesterday (to reolve my crashes and the PVR-250 and PVR-350mix
I am very disappointed and confused if the above is correct. The Hauppauge support site shows the most recent drivers as PVR_18_22037.exe. The updated date is 2/4/04. Logic tells me that it would be better to update the web site before going into production of CD's with a new driver. The web site should be updated first, so exprienced users can test the drivers and problems can be corrected before burning CD's. The Hauppauge support site should be getting new drivers into the hands of people ASAP to solve existing problems. It looks to me like Hauppauge may not really care about the existing customers.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well the CD that came with my new PVR-250 card was CD-R disk and had label made on a laser printer, box was a retail box all sealed. I did not check website for drivers. The drivers that are installed on my PC are dated 6/16/04 which I assume came from that CD...

I also did email Hauppauge support about my previous problem and did not get response until day or two days later. I assume it is a very small company and they are trying their best...

Right now I am just waiting for the second PVR-250 and I will use only those PVR-250's in my htpc and lets see if this will work without crashing my system. I just did read that there are different PVR-250's so I hope I will get the second one exactly the same as the first PVR-250 that I already have and that there will be no conflict. If that does not work I'll be screwed since I invested so much already into this HTPC
Old 07-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Sage Icon

I have just received the following reply from Hauppauge support concerning the most the most recent 350/250 drivers. The information from chrysek is correct.

Quote:
Hello, sorry for the confusion, you are correct the latest 1.8a CD has version 22168. I will have the web site corrected.
The web has not yet been corrected but I expect it will be in a day or two.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

wow, that is amazing, if it was my company I would first update my drivers before even dumping them to CD and then into the retail packages. That process alone takes time while posting drivers to their website should be minutes or hours at most.

Once again, strange how they work or process they have...
Old 07-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Back to my original question:
I think I know why SageTV also does not display duplicate channels. It is probably for the reason why you dont have them listed because what if you have 2 cards conencted to two dish network receivers, you would notlike to see two channels 2 listed, two channels 4 listed next to each other etc. But there should be an option to filter duplicate channels or not probably, or if they do differ I should have an option to see them, so if one source has WCBS on channel 2 and the other source has WCBS on channel 243 they should be displayed but if I get WCBS on channel 2 in one source and WCBS on channel 2 in the second source then it should be filtered.

Chris
Old 07-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Sage Icon

I agree with your theory about the stations with the same name. The correct approach would be to warn about duplicate names and give you the chance to rename the station or even do it for you by appending a number. As long as you see each station listed I would not consider it a bug but a design flaw. You can then decide which box you want to record from by remapping to station to channel 2 or channel 243.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:47 PM
SageTVaholic

well my point with Sagerecorder was that
you cannot watch two shows at once
so you record with the DISH one one pvr card using sagerecorder and use the other pvr card with sageTV

you should be able to run them both in the same box

setup will be the hard part
but also with duplicates you would probably just get two of the high priority shows to record
unless you setup manual recordings or use intelligent recording

but you need to hear from Freys first

and bug or flaw
I was being generic