SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

Lightbulb Wishful Thinking

I have, for the most part, been successful at setting up, configuring and running my somewhat basic Sage system and am very pleased thus far. Being new to Sage and PVR for that matter I am not an expert with Sage use, features nor in-depth A/V speak. I am technically inclined with PC's, Networks and Servers and am familiar with Video Editing using Pinnacle Studio, but I suspect anyone who would do this rather than purchase a stand alone appliance would also be somewhat of a geek. So I am pretty new as a TV type Videophile and if I had just a couple of How-To wishes that I wish would come true, they would be these;

1 - I wish an expert on this forum who can't get enough of it would draft a User Guide for us. I mean even a cheesy one without screen shots if necessary. I am not talking about basic setup and config. I mean what are the more advanced features, what are their options and why use these options. More for people who skipped Tivo and went straight to Sage. People who don't know what Oversanning is, Intelligent Recording, Rendering, Overlays, Deinterlacing, Decoders, Video Orbiting, even usage things like Set Watched and Set Don't Like, how to ensure Album Covers show up for those that are unsure how MP3 files hold that info and lastly what makes Archived TV shows an advantage rather than just keeping them in Sage Recordings nice and organized in folders? I may be pushing it hear, but even how to stop an MP3 from playing without going in to Visualizations and then closing the file? OK, long story but you get the point. There is a lot of value in having a reasonable user guide. Since Sage has not provided one, I thought maybe one of you experts might take on the challenge and post a TXT or PDF for us unenlightened. Again, just a wish on my part ...

2 - I'll make this one relatively short, promise. How about a similar document like "Remote Controls for Dummies" ... I figured out that my Silver Hauppauge has special codes in a Sage INI, but what does all that mean, are all codes alike between remotes? What the heck is a Girder anyway? Why do some remotes require codes and other learn from each other electronically? Why get an Actisys IR-200L or USB-UIRT? Being a button pusher, I never knew remotes were so complex. Anyway, a nice Remote Control Setup and User Guide for Sage would also be great.

As a side note wish for SageTV is ... how about partnering with someone to come up with a SageRemote offering? And of course, I too am impatient and want my Sage Studio now

So anyone up for the challenge? Anyone have the time? Anyone care?

Thanks .....

Last edited by mightyt; 07-20-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Regarding remotes... have you looked at the post: Information Resources for Remotes, Receivers, and IR Blasters? While it isn't a single manual all in one location, it includes links to several places where you can get more information. Also, have you checked the links in my sig lines regarding the Hauppauge remote? ... especially the "basics" one, where you will find fairly complete documentation of irremote.ini in the attachment to teh first post.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Sage Icon

Smile

Thanks Andy ... you seem to be the Remote King around here ... Now that you mention it I do remember finding the "Information Resources for Remotes, Receivers, and IR Blasters" link when I first started out, but most of it I didn't get then. Since then I found the Hauppauge codes to add to irremote.ini because even though I checked the Hauppauge box on Sage install, I guess since I did not have the Hauppauge IR SW loaded at the time it did not add the codes. Through this forum I found the way to manually add them. I'll go back a review your recommended posts. Still would love a PDF format to print, read and highlight. I also added your signature links to my favorites last night, just haven't had a minute to read them yet.

Thanks again ...