SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeller View Post
See the subforum under the Linux forum. I think the very first post (oldest) is a guide.

To the Array / User share, usually. The nice thing with Unraid is that, once you get the hang of a few of its unique concepts, it really makes it easy to maintain.
Thanks. I did see that thread, although I'm still curious what people are doing in practice. The thread makes it sound like you can only figure a single path for recordings, which makes me think everyone was either only recording a user share or only recording to a single drive outside the array.

Looking through the posts, it sounds like almost everyone records to a user share, first captured by a cache drive. I guess that's OK, but is it possible to record to a set of drives outside the array?

And is everyone running the dockers off their cache drive? I would assume so, given that almost everyone seems to use a cache drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeller View Post
Even though it won't make sense to you right now, "run Unraid's Mover hourly (thanks, Fuzzy) helps." This will make sense as you learn about Cache drives in Unraid.
What's the advantage to this? Why not just wait until the mover runs automatically at night? I would be worried about unRAID trying to move stuff when the system is already busy with recordings and playback.

Or is it intended to mitigate the problem of running out of cache space? If I remember correctly, unRAID doesn't otherwise handle that gracefully.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Windows XP? Really?
I still use XP on one of my remote network encoder PC's running an HD-PVR2 capturing DirecTV. It's been running for 10+ years and I'm just lazy.

(the main server is running Win 10 and the Creators Update even)
Old 05-15-2017, 01:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
I still use XP on one of my remote network encoder PC's running an HD-PVR2 capturing DirecTV. It's been running for 10+ years and I'm just lazy.

(the main server is running Win 10 and the Creators Update even)
No, I totally get why someone would continue to run an XP server, if it's not broke don't fix it. But to spend a few hours setting up a brand new server with XP? My time is more valuable than that...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls

Last edited by KeithAbbott; 05-15-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Totally...
Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
No, I totally get why someone would continue to run an XP server, if it's not broke don't fix it. But to spend a few hours setting up a brand new server with XP? My time is more valuable than that...
I don't. Unless you're running your XP system totally removed from any network that has other computers that have internet access it is a constant security risk. I guess Microsoft will still update XP if the threat is serious enough as was shown this past week. But there's no guarantee of that kind of action for future threats.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Looking through the posts, it sounds like almost everyone records to a user share, first captured by a cache drive.
That's how I set it up. It makes it easy to manage. For me, the user share is spread over six physical hard drives and Unraid manages it all. Every so often it complains about "Disk 1 is high on usage" but then it goes and fixes it itself.

Quote:
And is everyone running the dockers off their cache drive? I would assume so, given that almost everyone seems to use a cache drive.
The documentation keeps saying that there is improved performance from doing it that way. That's the way I set it up originally, so I am not really familiar with not using a cache drive.

Quote:
What's the advantage to this? Why not just wait until the mover runs automatically at night? I would be worried about unRAID trying to move stuff when the system is already busy with recordings and playback.
In the first day or two, I was seeing issues at 4 AM when the mover was doing its once-a-day run. I did a search on this forum and found that Fuzzy set his up to run once an hour. I copied that and have not had issues since.
Quote:
Or is it intended to mitigate the problem of running out of cache space? If I remember correctly, unRAID doesn't otherwise handle that gracefully.
That could be it also. I can tell you that the "wall" (where file transfer speeds drop) is real. Once the cache fills up, file transfer speeds really do drop. It is good that I do not do a bunch of bulk loads, as I was when I was setting up the server.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA