SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

So I spent a number of hours today trying to recreate the problem with only one HDHomeRun Connect installed. I only saw one malfunction where I tuned a channel but it didn't start playing. Unfortunately I had just installed the tuner and was just verifying that the tuner was successfully installed and working so I hadn't enabled logging. So today with only one tuner installed no trouble has been observed yet. Have to see how tonight's recordings turn out.

There is one difference between what I did to install the tuners when I first got them and what I did today to install then. Last time I followed the lead of the silicondust software updater and installed the newest non beta software it recommended I install without uninstalling anything. Then I installed the newest beta software support recommended without uninstalling anything. Then because of problems with the connect I went back to my old tuners and older version of the software. To do that I had to uninstall the newer silicondust software. Today I decided to uninstall the silicondust software before installing the newest beta software that is required for the connect. today may have resulted in a cleaner install than the normal update process.

I have run out of time for troubleshooting today. I had to reinstall a second tuner to get tonight's recordings. If tonight's recordings are good I'll install the 3rd tuner and see what happens.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well tonight did not go well at all. I can crash the Connects just by using more than one TV at the same time. If one TV is playing liveTV launched from the guide and I do much of anything with sageTV on another TV such as scrolling through the list of sagetv recordings the live TV will stop playing. While I can play tv on one Sage TV client your toast if you use a second sagetv client at the same time. Even the config gui locks up if you have multiple sageTV clients doing things.

I logged the problems and emailed the details to Silicondust support. Hopefully they will now see that the Connect has major issues and is not really usable at all with sageTV if there is more than one sagetv client/ media extender in the house.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Silicondust tech support has not replied since I sent them logging data.

I sent a followup email they would have received on July 9th asking it they would have updated software to try soon and there has not been any response to that. I'm going to return the Connects.

Consider the HDHomeRun Connect model incompatible with SageTV.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Silicondust tech support has not replied since I sent them logging data.

I sent a followup email they would have received on July 9th asking it they would have updated software to try soon and there has not been any response to that. I'm going to return the Connects.

Consider the HDHomeRun Connect model incompatible with SageTV.
That's a bummer. I was considering this as a good, networked capture card for OTA. Guess I'll keep trucking along with my old Aver.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob23 View Post
That's a bummer. I was considering this as a good, networked capture card for OTA. Guess I'll keep trucking along with my old Aver.
I have 2 of theses (HDHR4) and they work perfectly for me. I have a bad multi-path problem on my antennas and they work just a well as the originals. A good Antenna is the cure of bad signal or multi-path problems.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I have 2 of theses (HDHR4) and they work perfectly for me. I have a bad multi-path problem on my antennas and they work just a well as the originals. A good Antenna is the cure of bad signal or multi-path problems.
Do you use SageTV on more than one TV at a time such as watching live TV from one of these tuners on one TV, and scrolling through the list of recordings or watching live TV on a second TV? Doing that on the second TV effected or stopped the watching on the first TV for me.

My signal is excellent and signal was not a factor in the Connects malfunction in my testing. It delivered a fine picture and tuned channels fine as long as it is only used with one TV.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Update.

After returning the HDHomeRun Connect tuners and reverting to old my White HDHomeRun tuners I had a new problem never seen before that only showed up if trying to watch a channel at the same time as that channel was being recorded. Including recording of the program that followed the program I was currently watching. The TV show would stutter like someone was pressing pause then play randomly. This happened with only one TV in use and what other recordings were in progress. Watching the completed recordings when not recording that channel worked fine. Watching two recordings worked fine.

The solution turned out to be to reboot my Cisco switch. Not sure if the Connect caused the switch problem or if it is unrelated. Now I can record 6 channels and watching 4 previous recordings all at the same time. No stutter! No issues at all.

This raises the possibility that my problems with the Connect may have been because the switch was not working properly. (It is also possible the Connect cause the switch malfunction since I didn't have a problem that I knew of prior to installing the Connects.) Upgrade to v9 and install of the Connects happened at about the same time with little watching done in between events.

So maybe the Connect will work for you with SageTV...
Post your results.