SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-25-2004, 06:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

salsbst, OKAY I FINALLY got the radar stuff to work... (it would help if I would have cut and pasted the right "animated" links instead of the stills) Thanks for your help on that....

next question, how can I "add" a layer to those animated radars? what I mean is, I created a precipitation legend (at my girlfriend's request) to overlay on top of the other layers, but I could not ever get the new layer to show up... actually wrs didn't like anything I input for a new layer, not sure that "href" is the right parameter to put for a local path

check out the file and let me know what you think

thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: txt weatherconfig.txt (18.5 KB, 177 views)
Old 09-25-2004, 07:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Try using

href="file:/C:/Program%20Files/Frey%20Technologies/SageTV/STVs/OriginalV2/radar_key_area.gif

edit: there used to be two slashes between file: and C: above, but that was incorrect. The href attribute directly above is now correct.

If that gets mangled by the board, then the key points it should have expressed are:

a) href should be fine
b) use file:/ instead of http://
c) use forward slashes instead of backslashes
d) use %20 instead of spaces (I'm not positive about this one -- it may be that spaces are better than %20 but I'm leaning toward %20)

Last edited by salsbst; 09-25-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Sage User

Is there a way to change the layout for the Weather Suite? For instance I would like the local conditions to show all of my locations instead of the radar. The same goes for the forcast. This way I could quickly look at all the location current conditions and forcasts without having to change locations each time.

Great Weather Suite by the way.

Thanks,
Salsbst
Old 09-25-2004, 09:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Unfortunately you've hit on a shortcoming. Locations are set up in a way such that only one can be active at a time. There's nothing that made that necessary other than the way that I designed it. No promises, but I will remember this if/when I do an upgrade.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the reply, I tried to input the line you said (w %20 then spaces, image type as png and then gif) neither worked ... I have been shutting sage down each time I make a change (I would think that would need to happen no matter what, I do have the order right don't I?

<layer type="animation" name="base" href="http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nxssa_r1_h_500x620d/r1h/inxr1kftwa_h.gif" cropbottom="0.225806452" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="roads" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/radar_layers/roads/kftw_roads.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="cities" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/radar_layers/cities/kftw_cities.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="road markers" href="http://vortex.accuweather.com/phoenix2/images/common/radar_layers/markers/kftw_markers.gif" imageType="png"/>
<layer type="image" name="radar" href="file://C:/Program%20Files/Frey%20Technologies/SageTV/STVs/OriginalV2/radar_key_area.gif" imageType="png"/>

also I attached the "legend" files, if you would like to try them out for yourself

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: gif radar_key_area.gif (3.1 KB, 198 views)
File Type: gif radar_key_metro.gif (2.9 KB, 183 views)
Old 09-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Sage User

Ok, thanks for the reply. It is a good program and adding weather to SageTV might just keep me from forking over dollars to meedio (That and if the music ever gets fixed).

Having one problem though. I'm not getting the metro or area maps for my locations. I'm pretty sure I've put everything in right but here is my config for all to look at.

Edit: I guess the attachemt has to be .txt
Attached Files
File Type: txt weatherconfig.txt (18.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 09-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Shuyun, I had the same problem... I looked at your file, I noticed that the links you have for the "base" layers are pointing to the "still" images on accuweather.com Go back to accuweather.com, just above the radar you'll see "animate this map" Click on that and then get the properties of the "base" pic and plug that into your file

Example (for your denver-metro-base link) plug this into your file:

"http://sirocco.accuweather.com/adc_nxmos_640x480c/re2/inmaremr_den.gif"

(for your denver-area-base link) plug this into your file:

"http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nxssa_r1_h_500x620d/r1h/inxr1kdena_h.gif"

then your maps should show up!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I tried to input the line you said (w %20 then spaces, image type as png and then gif) neither worked ... I have been shutting sage down each time I make a change (I would think that would need to happen no matter what, I do have the order right don't I?
You did everything correctly, but I made a mistake in my previous post (which I've since corrected).

Here is the correct way:

href="file:/C:/Program%20Files/Frey%20Technologies/SageTV/STVs/OriginalV2/radar_key_area.gif"

note that there is only one slash between file: and C:

Alas, though, that won't get you where you want to go, because the version of WRS that you have only supports up to 4 layers. This is easily fixed and I would hope that Niel can get it into his next release of his STV.

In the meantime, you could:

a) drop one of the other layers
b) combine two or more of the layers in order to stay under the limit and load them locally instead of loading them from accuweather.

Last edited by salsbst; 09-25-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:21 AM
SageTVaholic

P.S. I'll tell you a secret: the imageType attribute can be deleted. It is ignored by WRS. It's a remnant of an earlier strategy I had for re-compressing images, and I just forgot to remove it from the example weatherconfig.xml.

Last edited by salsbst; 09-25-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

well I removed one on of the layers and... VOILA! I saw my precipitation legend! Thank you for all your help and info!!! That's alright about the "imagetype" attribute, I was just trying anything to get it to work (I'm obviously not an XML expert)... Last question (I think), so is there not a java class file or some configuration file I can plug in to my folders in order to be using the latest version of WRS?

THANKS AGAIN salsbst!!!! you ROCK!
Old 09-25-2004, 10:32 AM
SageTVaholic

No, it so happens that the change needs to be made in the STV file, not the Java library.

BTW, I haven't seen any XML mistakes out of you... just trouble interpretting relatively vague information about how the XML is interpretted by WRS. Maybe you are an XML expert!
Old 09-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

That's a bummer about it being within the STV file... Frey! where is Studio!? ... or hopefully Niel will be able to fix that when he has a chance

Thanks for the compliment, I just hate not knowing how to do something so I just jump in and change things around (keeping backups of what works of course!) I have even gone through the XML files on Niel's STV config files and changed everything around to suit my taste... I'm lovin' the customizations, that's for sure!

BTW, great job on WRS salsbst! great job on the STV Niel! Pat yourselfs on the back!
Old 09-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Sage User

reboot_this,

Thanks, you were right. Just used the animated Gif's and all is good now.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
Alas, though, that won't get you where you want to go, because the version of WRS that you have only supports up to 4 layers. This is easily fixed and I would hope that Niel can get it into his next release of his STV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reboot_this
That's a bummer about it being within the STV file... Frey! where is Studio!? ... or hopefully Niel will be able to fix that when he has a chance
Done! (in v1.4)
Old 10-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Sage Expert

Salsbt,

I'm pinging you from every thread but I think this is definitely a weatherconfig.xml issue. I tried using a certain weather map

http://www.wunderground.com/data/640x480/ne_sf_anim.gif

and so clearly its animated. However, when I labelled it as animation, it wouldn't work (the same way it wasn't working when i tried to load other non-animated maps as animation). So then i changed the label type to image, and it worked fine, except it only showed a still image. Is there any help for this?
Attached Files
File Type: txt weatherconfig.xml.txt (20.8 KB, 242 views)
Old 10-12-2004, 05:42 AM
SageTVaholic

There may be something about the animated GIF that is throwing off the parser. I'll take a look at it in debug mode and let you know.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:58 PM
SageTVaholic

abasu, I found the problem.

Please do this:

a) shutdown SageTV
b) extract the Element.class file from the attached zip into c:\program files\frey technologies\sagetv\com\stusals\gif\
c) startup SageTV and test

Long story short, I assumed that a certain chunk of the GIF's binary data existed, and in the case of your GIF, it didn't. This class file contains a test to make sure that the chunk is there, and if not, goes on without it. It should work now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip element.zip (2.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 10-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Sage Expert

that did the trick. thanks
Old 10-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by turak
I would guess about 300 million americans
Yes! The United States..... the only country in the world keeping the Imperial measurement system alive....

Let's switch to metric already... I mean, only in the US does driving 100 mean fast...

Lauren
Old 10-24-2004, 02:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenglenn
Yes! The United States..... the only country in the world keeping the Imperial measurement system alive....
Dont forget those waky brits, who are now completely confused...
  • big distance is still in Miles/mph
  • but fuel is sold in litres (garages have stopped putting the prices in gallons for the most part... prices of £5/gall ($10) would scare people!)
  • But they still use mpg for enconomy, except that it is imperial gallons of course, not us gallons!
  • Short distances (such as buying wood in a hardware store) is in metres/cm
  • weights are in kg (but lb/oz are displayed because nobody above the age of 25 knows what a kg feels like!)
  • Liquid in shops (water, coke etc) is sold in litres, but you still ask for a pint in a pub (can't remember whether you actually get one, or whether it is actually a half-litre!)