SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 12-23-2016, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I think I'm starting to remember why I ditched play on

I have a lifetime play-on subscription AND and a lifetime play later subscription, but I could never get either to work well.

I setup a win 10 vm on unRAID, and installed the latest playon, then added my licences, and I can browse my Amazon videos, but when I try to record them, it goes for about 2 minutes and then gives an "Unknown error".

I also tried the side loaded Amazon app... It appears to be tied to US, so it won't run on my Shield in Canada (gives a geo-location error).
Old 12-23-2016, 05:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I think I'm starting to remember why I ditched play on

I have a lifetime play-on subscription AND and a lifetime play later subscription, but I could never get either to work well.

I setup a win 10 vm on unRAID, and installed the latest playon, then added my licences, and I can browse my Amazon videos, but when I try to record them, it goes for about 2 minutes and then gives an "Unknown error".

I also tried the side loaded Amazon app... It appears to be tied to US, so it won't run on my Shield in Canada (gives a geo-location error).
yeah, it's really not Windows PC friendly. Surprisingly, the new iOS app works reasonably well, and allows a downloaded video to cast to Apple TV at least. Haven't tried Chromecast yet.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-23-2016, 09:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
yeah, it's really not Windows PC friendly. Surprisingly, the new iOS app works reasonably well, and allows a downloaded video to cast to Apple TV at least. Haven't tried Chromecast yet.
I want to either use an app on the AndroidTV directly... or just have shows show up as recordings on SageTV... I could try casting.. but I'm not a fan of using my phone for browsing and playback controls... I know it's all the rage... I just haven't got there yet

I did discover that PlayOn was crapping out doing a recording, when I was using a network share as the destination for playon recordings... when I set it to C: drive, playon did actually "record". So there must be something about the network share that it doesn't like... it starts the recording... and goes for about 2 minutes, and then dies.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I want to either use an app on the AndroidTV directly... or just have shows show up as recordings on SageTV... I could try casting.. but I'm not a fan of using my phone for browsing and playback controls... I know it's all the rage... I just haven't got there yet

I did discover that PlayOn was crapping out doing a recording, when I was using a network share as the destination for playon recordings... when I set it to C: drive, playon did actually "record". So there must be something about the network share that it doesn't like... it starts the recording... and goes for about 2 minutes, and then dies.
Fyi I am recording using play later directly to an unRAID share from a Windows VM and sometimes the recordings crap out, but restarting them always fixes the issue. It doesn't happen all that often so I'm wondering if thereay be a permissions issue of some sort restricting your windows vm?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:46 AM
SageTVaholic

I think it's an issue with the virtual graphics drivers in the windows vm, and the way PlayOn hooks into the windows rendering to capture the video. I ended up moving PlayOn to my windows desktop, because the VM on unRAID was far to unreliable for it's use.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-24-2016, 01:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadeau View Post
You can initiate them from the upnp browser as well. What I do with netflix for instance is put the shows I want in my favorites list. Then I use upnp browser to go to my list and add each recording I want. You can add multiple recordings because they go in the queue. OR you can view shows that are available in upnp browser. Pick the item you want by clicking on it . A menu gives you the option to watch or record.
Do you have a PlayOn plugin authored by 'evilpenquin' installed by chance? I do, and for some reason, I can't uninstall it.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-24-2016, 01:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

it does that with me as well, usually if I shift the browser window to the background, or minimalize it. At least I think that's what it's doing. And I have set my record dir on a drive other than C. Maybe I'll try that and see what happens.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm having an issue installing the UPnP (PlayOn) Browswer by Tmiranda. When I try to install this on my server it says it failed to install that the dependency commons-io failed. It says "Done - FAILED - Resource Download http://sourceforge.net/projects/sagetv-addons/files/3rd_party_libs/commons-io-2.4.zip/download".
Any idea what is wrong? I'm considering purchasing PlayOn, since it is on sale, and was wondering how it was integrated into SageTV.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck
Recording Drive's: 2 x WD WD4001FAEX (4 TB)
Tuner's: 2 x Ceton InfiniTV 4's
Clients: 3 x Nvidia Shield TV's; Spares: 2 x HD300's
SageTV v9.1.2.662 with OpenDCT v0.5.28
Java 1.8.0_111-b14 (32bit)
Old 12-24-2016, 04:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Fyi I am recording using play later directly to an unRAID share from a Windows VM and sometimes the recordings crap out, but restarting them always fixes the issue. It doesn't happen all that often so I'm wondering if thereay be a permissions issue of some sort restricting your windows vm?
I can see it actually creating the file on the unRAID share, and the file is growing... just very consistently gets to either a certain size (or approx 2 minutes) and then dies... so I think it's a permission thing, since it is creating a file, for a short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I think it's an issue with the virtual graphics drivers in the windows vm, and the way PlayOn hooks into the windows rendering to capture the video. I ended up moving PlayOn to my windows desktop, because the VM on unRAID was far to unreliable for it's use.
I opened a ticket with PlayOn... If it was the graphics driver, I could see it failing even when writing to C:... but I've tried 10+ to do a recording to the network, and it fails every time.

On your physical desktop, I assume you are recording to an unRAID share, and it's working ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Do you have a PlayOn plugin authored by 'evilpenquin' installed by chance? I do, and for some reason, I can't uninstall it.
No, I haven't. I know tmiranda has a upnp plugin as well, but I'm not really interesting is browing the video queues using upnp (I just find it too slow)... but they are good in a pinch.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I had the same problem recording to NAS device. I talked with support and then suggested making the recording directory a local drive. I did and never had a problem again. (The recording get moved to the NAS every night.)
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 12-24-2016, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I had the same problem recording to NAS device. I talked with support and then suggested making the recording directory a local drive. I did and never had a problem again. (The recording get moved to the NAS every night.)
What do you use to move the recordings?
Old 12-24-2016, 12:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
On your physical desktop, I assume you are recording to an unRAID share, and it's working ok?
No, it's writing to the local drive on the desktop, which is shared and a sage import folder. That said, I don't use it for recording very often, usually just streaming.. And now that I've got a mi box, I do that a lot less.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-24-2016, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
No, it's writing to the local drive on the desktop, which is shared and a sage import folder. That said, I don't use it for recording very often, usually just streaming.. And now that I've got a mi box, I do that a lot less.
If the Amazon Prime video app worked in Canada... I'd just use it like I would netflix.... sadly that's not the case.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
What do you use to move the recordings?
I have been too lazy to automate the process.

I just go in and move them manually once a week.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)