SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Sage User

disk space

Sage appears to be failing to delete watched shows in order to conform to the video directory space limitation rules.

'available video diskspace' now reads '-2.08 GB' and is falling. The EPG update is at 0 minutes, but isn't downloading anything, I think because of the diskspace issue.

My diskspace rule is 'use only' and all of my favorites are set to autodelete.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or is this a bug?
Old 07-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure I've heard that before, or else I've forgotten about it. How many video directories do you have & on how many different drives? (i.e.: any dirs on the same drive?) What are the settings for the dirs & how much space is actually available on each? Are recordings still being made? Do the recordings have a red border around them in the SageTV listings? Are there recording files that are still on the drive but have been deleted from the list in SageTV? What happens when you try to manually delete a recording from within SageTV? Have you tried exiting & restarting SageTV? Is the recycle bin turned on for those drives & does it ignore deleted mpg files?

Just giving you something to do until someone comes along with a better idea.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
I'm not sure I've heard that before, or else I've forgotten about it. How many video directories do you have & on how many different drives? (i.e.: any dirs on the same drive?) What are the settings for the dirs & how much space is actually available on each? Are recordings still being made? Do the recordings have a red border around them in the SageTV listings? Are there recording files that are still on the drive but have been deleted from the list in SageTV? What happens when you try to manually delete a recording from within SageTV? Have you tried exiting & restarting SageTV? Is the recycle bin turned on for those drives & does it ignore deleted mpg files?

Just giving you something to do until someone comes along with a better idea.

- Andy
39 GB partition, same one that windows in on.

SageTV video directory is set to "37 GB, use only".

When I manually delete a recording from within Sage it works fine.

I've exited/restarted Sage and rebooted a couple of times, and the same thing happens.

Recordings still get made until the disk is really full (1.5 GB over the video directory limit set in sage), then they don't get made.

I just changed the recycle bin to "delete without confirmation" for all partitions. Will that help?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Sorry, but I have to ask the obvious stuff... There really is 37GB free on that 39GB partition for SageTV to use? What is the total size of the fiels in the video directory, if you look at it in Windows Explorer?

Perhaps try setting it to something like Leave Free 2GB.

As for the recycle bin, it seems to cause problems for SageTV to figure out how much space is actually available for use, but I'm not sure I can prove it. Anyway, I always set it to not save mpg files. And, I turn it off completely for my partitions containing my video files, but I save my recordings to partitions that don't have other programs & data.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Teg
39 GB partition, same one that windows in on.

SageTV video directory is set to "37 GB, use only".
That very well could be part of your problem right there. Do to the variations in temp file storage, IE cache usage, and the swap file Sage can become easily confused about exactly how much drive space is left.

When ever possible SageTV should be set up to store on a seperate partition, or better yet a totally seperate hard drive.

As mentioned, the Recycle Bin should also be disabled for that partition/drive to eliminate other problems.

There is another issue to think about also. It seems that SageTV may go over the specified limit if it is trying to record a long show (like a 2 hour movie).

As such, depending on your quality settings, I'd recommend always setting the "use only" to something like 5 or 10Gig less than the total amount of drive space. That will give SageTV a bit of breathing room if it runs into a situation where it needs some extra storage space until it can get around to clearing more up.

If you are not using Inteligent Recording option, check to your SageTV.properties file and make sure "seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off=" is set to true, not false. That also helps Sage delete somethings quicker if it needs more drive space.

There's probibly a few other things I'm forgetting, but those should be the main things to consider.

Hope that helps.