SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
That docker was for Windows 64 bit? Where is that?
It is linux based but with unRAID you don't need to know that. It installs and runs with no user updates needed after initial setup in the unRAID GUI - is what I think Fuzzy meant.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
It is linux based but with unRAID you don't need to know that. It installs and runs with no user updates needed after initial setup in the unRAID GUI - is what I think Fuzzy meant.
As far as I know, there is also a Docker host for Windows (I think it is some tools built on VirtualBox), that it should be able to be run in as well.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-06-2016, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
As far as I know, there is also a Docker host for Windows (I think it is some tools built on VirtualBox), that it should be able to be run in as well.
If you call running Linux on top of Windows in a VirtualBox virtual machine to run docker to mean it is running on Windows then yes it runs on Windows. Docker doesn't run natively on Windows. Of course I may have to switch to that myself if my experiment with > 1024K Java heap doesn't work out as well as it has so far. Most of the time on linux SageTV appears to be using less heap then on Windows but even on linux I see jumps to above 1024K heap usage in the occasional spikes. I need Windows for the drivers for my AVerMedia tuners since they don't exist for linux or at least not that I can find. I though I found the source code for an old attempt at drivers but if I remember right the links to the source are bad.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 06-06-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
If you call running Linux on top of Windows in a VirtualBox virtual machine to run docker to mean it is running on Windows then yes it runs on Windows. .
That is not Running on windows by my definition.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
That is not Running on windows by my definition.
I agree, it is NOT 'running on windows' - but it does take out most the direct Linux interaction, which is what most windows users who are against running linux really want to avoid.

Even direct tuners like the above mentioned avermedia's would work if you also ran a windows service on the host as a network encoder.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

And I didn't say that it was the server running on windows. I only brought up the Docker container in response to a wish for "a headless 64 bit, web based control server."

Last edited by Fuzzy; 06-07-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Total amateur here, but as I was trying to follow along, I ran across this WinDoc article today.

"It works on Windows Server 2012, creating .NET and SQL Server containers that use the Docker API and commands.

WinDocks is a two-year-old startup based in Bellevue, Wash. It has six employees, many of them former Microsoft engineers, said Stanton, declining to reveal its total funding.

Versions of WinDocks for Windows 8 and 10 are planned for announcement next week, he said."
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
Total amateur here, but as I was trying to follow along, I ran across this WinDoc article today.

"It works on Windows Server 2012, creating .NET and SQL Server containers that use the Docker API and commands.

WinDocks is a two-year-old startup based in Bellevue, Wash. It has six employees, many of them former Microsoft engineers, said Stanton, declining to reveal its total funding.

Versions of WinDocks for Windows 8 and 10 are planned for announcement next week, he said."
That sounds interesting. I'm uncertain if it would run existing Dockers or only new ones based on WinDocs. Although reading it again if it doesn't support standard dockers now Server 2016 might if it doesn't.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 06-07-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Sage Icon

I see they are adding container support to Windows 10:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/30814...tml#tk.rss_all

This appears to be the same way they are supporting containers in Windows Server 16. Though its not clear to me if this will support Docker containers natively or if there is a Linux layer that must be inserted.

I haven't experimented with Docker at all - just read a few articles and forum posts in passing.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I would be interested in a W10 Universal app for Xbox. After reading about Microsoft basically canning the DVR functionality for Xbox One yesterday, I started thinking about what I wanted to do. Right now I have my HD300's passing through, but when they die, I would have to figure something else out. Antenna is the way I may go in the future too, but either way the W10 Universal App would let me stick with Sagetv and no other client device needed for passthrough.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I will also voice support for an W10 universal app that would run on xbox one. The idea of running SageTV as a snapped app while I play a game makes me smile!
Old 06-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would also be interested in one but would like one that plays live TV, recorded TV, DVD Rips and other video formats. The current MiniClient under development does some of this but not all yet and may not ever do it all? Unfortunately having the wife switch between apps on an android device is not working out too well since she is not so techy.

I am looking for replacement devices for my HD200 and HD300 units in the case of failure but I also want additional units as I have set up a SageTV system in a second house and have no extra clients. I would ideally have the same solution (From a user experience) with all TV's in both locations but would settle for all SageTV at one house and something different like a Kodi interface solution at the other house.