SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Sage Icon

EPG Update causes file split - new airing id?

SageTV 7

Has anyone encountered this?
Have Favorite recording running. EGP Update kicks off.
Now ends up a file break and the favorite is now 2 mpg files with different airing id numbers.

SpecialReportWithBretBaier-30474381-0.mpg
SpecialReportWithBretBaier-30648399-1.mpg

More importantly, how to prevent this in the future?
Old 05-08-2016, 08:16 PM
SageTVaholic

I have to believe that my Sage Server has done many an EPG update while it's recording a show without issue. Is it possible that this result is a very isolated situation, or maybe even unrelated to the EPG update?
Old 12-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Sage Fanatic

I can't speak to whether it has anything to do with EPG, but I have this same issue where files are getting 8 digits numbers appended to the file name and sometimes being split into one or more files (not copied, but cut into chunks). This only seems to be happening on recorded movies, not TV, and not imported movies or TV shows. This has been going on for a while, but I had bigger fish to fry as I was dealing with hardware issues making an extremely unstable unraid server. I have been thru hell and back with moving data around, at least 15 parity checks, etc., in the past several weeks some maybe somewhere along the way the chaos made this happen.

Can I fix the split files somehow? Why is this happening?
Old 12-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
I can't speak to whether it has anything to do with EPG, but I have this same issue where files are getting 8 digits numbers appended to the file name and sometimes being split into one or more files (not copied, but cut into chunks). This only seems to be happening on recorded movies, not TV, and not imported movies or TV shows. This has been going on for a while, but I had bigger fish to fry as I was dealing with hardware issues making an extremely unstable unraid server. I have been thru hell and back with moving data around, at least 15 parity checks, etc., in the past several weeks some maybe somewhere along the way the chaos made this happen.

Can I fix the split files somehow? Why is this happening?
The ~8 digit code appended to the end of the file names is normal for Sage - this is the id for the recording that Sage uses for tracking in its database.

Having recordings split into 2 or more pieces is not normal. Sage will do this if the recording is interrupted for some reason and then gets an opportunity to resume. There are many possible reasons, but there should be some clues in the Sage logs. Some possible reasons include:
Computer rebooted in middle of recording
Sage crashed and restarted in middle of recording
Tuner driver crashed
Tuner reset (bad power supply or other hardware issue)
Java crashed
Loss of signal from cable company or antenna
Hardware problem with Pc (RAM, hard drive, etc. failing)
Problem with network encoder (if using one)
Problem with network (Ethernet cable, switch, router, wifi, etc. if using a networked capture device)
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

Great explanation, I think I have had all of those things happen at one time or another. I suppose I can either delete and recapture those files, or attempt to sew them together and rename with a video editor?
Old 12-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
Great explanation, I think I have had all of those things happen at one time or another. I suppose I can either delete and recapture those files, or attempt to sew them together and rename with a video editor?
If you're playing back in Sage, you don't need to do anything- Sage will automatically assemble the segments during playback (you might see some red sections in the playback timeline indicating missing time between the file segments).

If you are using something else for playback then yes you would need to use some other software to stitch the segments together. I'm not sure what software is best.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

is there any way to keep BMT and Gemstone from showing these as separate files?