SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:32 PM
Sage Expert

HD PVR 1212 no longer working

So my HD pvr seamingly dropped out. Its no longer recognized in the USB device manager and is coming up as unknown. So far I have done the following

-Restarted the PC
-restarted the HD pvr
-uninstalled all the USB items
-run hw clear
-switched power supplies

Nothing seems to work, this thing has been pretty reliable for however long it has been out. I got it when it first came out. Kinda at a loss here.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Bertelson View Post
So my HD pvr seamingly dropped out. Its no longer recognized in the USB device manager and is coming up as unknown. So far I have done the following

-Restarted the PC
-restarted the HD pvr
-uninstalled all the USB items
-run hw clear
-switched power supplies

Nothing seems to work, this thing has been pretty reliable for however long it has been out. I got it when it first came out. Kinda at a loss here.
Is this on windows or linux? I would have suggested the power supply since I had mine fail on the weekend as well, but replacing the power supply fixed it.

Some other things to try...
- different USB cable
- different USB port on the computer (I recently had a usb port go dead on me as well)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Sage Expert

Tried a different port this morning. It flagged it as a new USB device, watched it from device manager , only to have it show up as unknown.

Going to try the box on a different system tonight.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

My guess is that your power adapter died. Happened twice to my two HDPVRs. Same symptoms as you're experiencing. Hauppauge sells replacements.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Sage Expert

It's actually one of those external drive power supplies with a big ass brick on it. I wired up the molex connector to get the five volts out of it. Figured it would have lasted longer because my first power suppky died about six months ago.

It's the e1 HD PVR with solid caps.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

This past weekend, when mine died... it was puzzling because the blue light on the HDPVR would light up, but it wouldn't be detected as a USB device. I bought a few HDPVR power supplies a while ago, and I just used my last one this weekend for this device. As soon as I changed the power supply, it worked. What I also noticed was that once I changed the powersupply the blue light came on, and then I heard the fan, and then a yellow light, and then the yellow turned off and only the blue was left... This was different than when the failing psu was connected, since, it would just turn blue, but no other "startup" lights would happen.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:58 PM
SageTVaholic

I haven't done it yet but I would recommend the process described starting with this post: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...2&postcount=12

Or go all out and do the following: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mounting...PVR_Internally
Old 04-26-2016, 01:47 PM
Sage User

HI. I just wanted to chime in with the same experience I had last month. I had 2 HD-PVR 1212 that just stop working, both at the same time. Nothing would work, including power supply changes, driver reinstall, etc. This computer is completely dedicated to Sagetv and I never even ran any windows updates on it. I was also running the older 1.5.7 HDPVR drivers since I didn't want to mess with the stability of the system.

Then I tried the HDPVRs on another computer and behold they both worked fine. So at least I knew they worked. Tried HWclear, different drivers on the original dedicated sage computer again and still no go. I figured it had to be some sort of registry problem or something in the system that prevented the drivers from installing properly. Also a clue was Device manager would show the HD-PVR as working but also an "unknown Multimedia device" as failed.

In the end I did a system restore to a point before the problem showed up and the HD-PVR were once again working fine! Very frustrating couple of days and the family was pissed, lol. After the system restore I installed the latest 1.7.1.xxx drivers and they installed fine as well.

So try a system restore and see if that works for you.

Good luck!
Chris
Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Sage Expert

Bad power supply

New one from Amazon fixed it up. No idea why this thing burns through so many psus
Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 PM
SageTVaholic

I've had sporadic recordings off a HD1212 act up - where either the recording just didn't go off, or the recording plays back three seconds and skips ahead a few more seconds. The timeline shows thin lines of disruption every 5 minutes or so. A is this more likely hard drive / throughput problem, or power supply?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Sage Expert

So now that I have it up and running I am getting squigly lines on my recordings. Very likely noise from the new power supply.

any suggestions on a clean power supply these days?
Old 05-03-2016, 06:51 PM
SageTVaholic

The first thing I would do is check the voltage at the outlet that feeds the HD-PVR, or if you have one around, plug it into an Uninterruptible Power Supply and test more (or both). If that doesn't yield anything interesting, I'd take a serious look at wiring it into your computer's power supply as Bob suggested in his post above.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:55 PM
SageTVaholic

After ruling out a power problem, I might swap out the USB cable just for the heck of it ... before I created a full system image and started playing around with the latest HDPVR drivers.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:43 AM
Sage Expert

I put roughly 950uf caps on it but both the power supplies I got were 5.20 volts. It's with in the 5% range though.

See how the caps work tonight