SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Sage Expert

Client on Windows 10

I recently had to upgrade one of my PCs to Windows 10, and now when I run the client on that computer, it launches and tells me that it can't locate the server.

I've tried turning off the firewall, and reinstalling the client, but I haven't had any luck. The server (which is on a different machine) runs fine, and the HD300 clients (and Fire TV, thanks Stuckless!) connect fine, so I'm pretty sure it's this one PC.

Any ideas on what to check?
Old 02-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

I apologize if this is obvious.

Have you verified general connectivity outside of the client?
are you getting to the Internet?
can you ping the server from the client?
can the server ping the client?

none of the above need the SageTV client or server to be running, This is simply to verify the machines in question can "see" and "talk" to each other outside of Sage.

If all the above is good, then you can check that all the ports that Sage needs open are indeed open (or turning off the firewall is a good test,
NOTE: someone mentioned in another post that with Win 8 and above you don't want to turn off the firewall by stopping the firewall service, you want to use the firewall cmdlet.). (ah, I see (after re-reading your post, you already tried turning the firewall off. Did you do this on both the client and the server?)
Oh, and again from another post, check the network type (PUBLIC, HOME, or Work) it should be home or work, public gets very restrictive.

You can also try changing ports on your switch.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Sage Expert

The computer doesn't have any issues connecting to the internet, or even connecting to the sage webserver which runs on the SageTV server machine, so I don't think it's a basic connection issue.

I'll try looking into the firewall again and pinging from one machine to another.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-12-2016, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
The computer doesn't have any issues connecting to the internet, or even connecting to the sage webserver which runs on the SageTV server machine, so I don't think it's a basic connection issue.

I'll try looking into the firewall again and pinging from one machine to another.

Thanks,
Mike
Quickest way to check if it's the firewall is to just turn them off on both computers. If it works at that point, turn one computer's firewall on and see if things work. Then swap. This way you don't waste a lot of time on the firewall if that's not even the cause. I often forget to perform this step myself.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 02-12-2016, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post

Thanks,
Mike
Go to firewall settings click on allow app or feature through windows firewall ... you will see a list make sure that "Network Discovery" is checked for both private and public also make sure sagetvclient is there. Turning off the firewall in windows 10 does not completely shut it off.

Last edited by nyplayer; 02-12-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Go to firewall settings click on allow app or feature through windows firewall ... you will see a list make sure that "Network Discovery" is checked for both private and public also make sure sagetvclient is there. Turning off the firewall in windows 10 does not completely shut it off.
Say what?! Yet another reason for me to avoid W10 at all costs. I'm curious, though, what stays on?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Say what?! Yet another reason for me to avoid W10 at all costs. I'm curious, though, what stays on?
Also you need windows firewall on or else you will have problems with Windows Store and other Windows 10 Apps.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Also you need windows firewall on or else you will have problems with Windows Store and other Windows 10 Apps.
I wasn't suggesting he turn it off for good, but it's a good test to isolate the problem.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Also Check this.

Go to firewall settings click on allow app or feature through windows firewall ... you will see a list make sure that "File and Printer Sharing" is checked for both private and public

In the Advanced sharing settings page of Network and sharing center. Try

-Enable network discovery
-Turn on file and print sharing
-Turn off password protected sharing
-Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers
Old 02-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Sage Expert

Just to close on this issue in case someone else runs into it.

The problem wasn't windows 10... it was that I had upgraded my server to v9 and my client was still v7. Upgrading the client to v9 also has fixed the problem.