SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:25 PM
SageTVaholic

The sagetv.exe and SageTVService.exe both show as 232.

When I run as administrator it seems to fix the problem and does show 1038MB rather than 779 - and I am reading this off of the JVM monitor widget in Gemstone.

but...

I am running as a service. Shouldn't the JVM size be set by the JVM spawned by the service rather than the client UI? The service is set to Log on as Local System Account. Should I change that to my default account which is an administrator account?

The service is set to use the local system account.

And with administrator or not I am having the lines around the widget that I posted about in the Gemstone forum.

FYI - I don't actually use the UI on the server to watch shows, I use extenders.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
The sagetv.exe and SageTVService.exe both show as 232.

When I run as administrator it seems to fix the problem and does show 1038MB rather than 779 - and I am reading this off of the JVM monitor widget in Gemstone.

but...

I am running as a service. Shouldn't the JVM size be set by the JVM spawned by the service rather than the client UI? The service is set to Log on as Local System Account. Should I change that to my default account which is an administrator account?

The service is set to use the local system account.

And with administrator or not I am having the lines around the widget that I posted about in the Gemstone forum.

FYI - I don't actually use the UI on the server to watch shows, I use extenders.
2 different JVM heaps...1 setting in the registry. The service likely needs an Admin account as well...but it should not as I "resolved" this by the permissions change in the registry in RC1.000. So perhaps NOT. Please check the permissions on the Frey registry entry and let me know as it should be everyone with full access otherwise the installer did not make that change.

k
Old 03-05-2016, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Under Permissions for Frey Technologies it says:

Groups or user names:
Everyone
SYSTEM

For both Everyone and SYSTEM the Full Control and Read Allow boxes are checked.

Is that what you would have expected?
Old 03-05-2016, 05:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Under Permissions for Frey Technologies it says:

Groups or user names:
Everyone
SYSTEM

For both Everyone and SYSTEM the Full Control and Read Allow boxes are checked.

Is that what you would have expected?
Yes. Which means that no matter what user runs the EXE it should have permissions to the registry without needed elevation....odd.

Did you happen to create the heap entry manually yourself or did the installer do it now or previously. Perhaps the permissions on that item itself are not everyone if it was manually created before this install!

k
Old 03-05-2016, 06:05 PM
SageTVaholic

I am pretty sure that I didn't create it myself. Should I also change the account for the service?
Old 03-05-2016, 06:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I am pretty sure that I didn't create it myself. Should I also change the account for the service?
Yes. If sage is not using the registry value then it needs elevation.

Please check the key in the regestry and let me know if its all full access for everyone.

Then i will need to install a win10 vm and test this out.

k
Old 03-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post

Note: if upgrading from 9.0.4.224 to 9.0.4.232 you will need to run the installer a 2nd time and select repair to ensure all files get installed. The installer system does not handle "same version" releases well so the 2nd run is required. This is not needed for upgrades from v7 or 9.0.3.xxx and prior releases.

Please continue to report all issues here.

Thanks
k
Just wanted to note that I installed the Server RC1 9.0.4.232 over 9.0.3.178 (in which I had manually updated the .exe, JAR, etc. files per previous posts) and I did in fact need to run the 'Repair' option in order to clear up some Java issues (see attached screenshots), but after that it seems to be working fine. Did not have any issues with the client install.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Java_Errors.zip (72.9 KB, 133 views)
i5-6600K, 16GB, GeForce GT730 2GB, Win10 Pro 20H2, Java: 64-bit 1.8.0_271, SageTV x64 9.2.2.903
Old 03-05-2016, 07:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Please check the key in the regestry and let me know if its all full access for everyone.
Isn't that what I posted a couple of posts above or is there something else?
Old 03-05-2016, 07:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Isn't that what I posted a couple of posts above or is there something else?
I assume that was for the root Frey node....each level under that could have different permissions so go to the key itself that has the heap setting and right click and check permissions.

k
Old 03-05-2016, 07:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyp View Post
Just wanted to note that I installed the Server RC1 9.0.4.232 over 9.0.3.178 (in which I had manually updated the .exe, JAR, etc. files per previous posts) and I did in fact need to run the 'Repair' option in order to clear up some Java issues (see attached screenshots), but after that it seems to be working fine. Did not have any issues with the client install.
Thanks. The version note really should be for future versions as 9.0.3.178 was a different product code internally than 9.0.4.x

In theory, if the next version is 9.0.5.x then it should not need the repair...

k
Old 03-05-2016, 07:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Ok, at the SageTV node there are more entries:

ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES - only check is for Read-Allow which is grayed out
CREATOR OWNER - only check is Special Permissions Allow which is grayed out
SYSTEM - Full Control and Read have Allow checked also grayed out
Administrators - Full Control and Read have Allow checked also grayed out
Users - Only Real Allow is checked and it is grayed out.

Should I add Everyone and Allow Full Control and Read?
Old 03-05-2016, 07:40 PM
SageTVaholic

I added everyone to the SageTV node and when I did that and ran SageTV - without specifying as an Administrator, it did show the full JVM size.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I added everyone to the SageTV node and when I did that and ran SageTV - without specifying as an Administrator, it did show the full JVM size.
That likely means on an update from the old solution the installer is not able to force those existing entries to change....at least with the current approach. New installs will be fine. I will read up and see if i can force this.

thanks for checking.

k
Old 03-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Sage User

Need any more information to troubleshoot the HDHR issue on Sage V9?
Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzim View Post
Yes, but I am at a loss as to what

I just purchased a HDHR for testing, so when it arrives perhaps I can figure it out if someone doesnt suggest something sooner.

k
Old 03-08-2016, 07:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
As info, my HDHomeRun Connect has arrived and I am able to recreate your issue..... that's the good news.

The bad news is I do not have a solution for it yet, but it will be easier to resolve now that I can work directly with the issue.

I will report back when I make progress.

k
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Sage User

Quote:
As info, my HDHomeRun Connect has arrived and I am able to recreate your issue..... that's the good news.

The bad news is I do not have a solution for it yet, but it will be easier to resolve now that I can work directly with the issue.

I will report back when I make progress.

k
That's half the battle. Must not be that many HDHR tunners being used withV9. Thanks for looking into it.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's half the battle. Must not be that many HDHR tunners being used withV9. Thanks for looking into it.
I found the issue. It is specific to Server 2012 (and 2008) and that those products do not have BDA support built in. I found a similar issue described on these forums here and here...

To resolve I followed the instructions here....

After that then even the latest RC1.000 installer on a clean 2012R2 VM installed (also need the HDHomeRun setup to be run of course).

Let me know if that resolves your issue as well.

k
Old 03-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Sage User

The real issue probably is that uninstall of V9.0.3.194 causes a corruption in the installed BDA which is why it worked if I installed the RC over it.

I am using Server 2012 R2, and long ago had the script to install BDA, in fact I have the script capability to grab updated files from a Windows 8.1 x64 install if they are ever updated.

So I uninstalled V9.0.3.194, installed RC, and then reinstalled BDA and rebooted. It does work now. So thanks for your time in looking at this.

As a side note: I built all the executables and dlls with my pull request that doesn't require the Windows SDK 6.1 and copied them over and they work too. I need to do some more work on it and look at the agreement.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
As a side note: I built all the executables and dlls with my pull request that doesn't require the Windows SDK 6.1 and copied them over and they work too. I need to do some more work on it and look at the agreement.

Thanks again.
I am hugely interested in a 64bit windows install so I was happy to see you looking into it. Not sure if I can help as I can't take on much more but the installer will need tweaking when a 64bit solution is ready so I will watch closely and help where I can.

Does removing the need for the Windows SDK 6.1 remove anything on the installer side from the runtimes (2010 C++ runtime perhaps) ?

k