SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you - That worked!
Old 05-14-2017, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
You're probably doing nothing wrong. I think the container is scripted to force MediaServerConsumerImpl on you. It might be easier to change sagetv.device.<unique_id>.consumer=opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl to opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl for each capture device.

I know that the docker scripts don't manipulate those values.
Alternatively, I believe you can set the dynamic consumer to use FFMPEG for channels 1-9999, or perhaps just for the channels that exhibit issues.

Code:
consumer.dynamic.channels.ffmpeg=1-9999

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-15-2017, 04:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Alternatively, I believe you can set the dynamic consumer to use FFMPEG for channels 1-9999, or perhaps just for the channels that exhibit issues.

Code:
consumer.dynamic.channels.ffmpeg=1-9999
You can do that, but if you decide later to use ATSC, that approach is no longer as simple. Also, the newest version of OpenDCT (0.5.28) uses the media server by default (and I don't intend to change that in the future), so the scripted changes are no longer needed for the container.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You can do that, but if you decide later to use ATSC, that approach is no longer as simple. Also, the newest version of OpenDCT (0.5.28) uses the media server by default (and I don't intend to change that in the future), so the scripted changes are no longer needed for the container.
Okay, cool.. I'll try to push out a change to the template later this week that removes that bit of the script. I've been pretty absent from all things sage for the last couple months, so haven't even looked at things for a bit.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Okay, cool.. I'll try to push out a change to the template later this week that removes that bit of the script. I've been pretty absent from all things sage for the last couple months, so haven't even looked at things for a bit.
I noticed I wasn't seeing you posting anything. You're usually so active I was actually a little concerned. Also by media server I mean it's using FFmpeg and streaming to the media server. It's not using the media server remuxer since it has some problems that may or may not bite some people.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

No Signal on non-local SageTV Server

I am setting up a 2nd SageTV server for testing and am having problems setting up the tuners. My original SageTV server has OpenDCT version 0.5.24 installed and working just great. The second SageTV server is on the same subnet and SageTV detects the tuners on my SageTV server running OpenDCT and sets them up, but when I try to actually tune and watch a channel, it doesn't work; just displays the "No Signal" message. Kind of stumped. Tried disabling the Windows Firewall on the OpenDCT machine to test and that didn't help. The channel scan performed in the new SageTV server seemed to work fine. It detected all the channels it should have.

Looked through the configuration file and found one line that seemed relevant but it appears to be correct (to me).
Code:
sagetv.use_automatic_loopback=false
the sage log was fairly clean, but I'm no expert on reading it. Anything you can point me at to troubleshoot would be appreciated.
Code:
Removed log clip and uploaded log in next post

Last edited by ranger; 05-18-2017 at 09:27 PM. Reason: removed code snippet
Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Added this log file instead and removed log clip from previous post
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (62.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I am setting up a 2nd SageTV server for testing and am having problems setting up the tuners. My original SageTV server has OpenDCT version 0.5.24 installed and working just great. The second SageTV server is on the same subnet and SageTV detects the tuners on my SageTV server running OpenDCT and sets them up, but when I try to actually tune and watch a channel, it doesn't work; just displays the "No Signal" message. Kind of stumped. Tried disabling the Windows Firewall on the OpenDCT machine to test and that didn't help. The channel scan performed in the new SageTV server seemed to work fine. It detected all the channels it should have.

Looked through the configuration file and found one line that seemed relevant but it appears to be correct (to me).
Code:
sagetv.use_automatic_loopback=false
the sage log was fairly clean, but I'm no expert on reading it. Anything you can point me at to troubleshoot would be appreciated.
Code:
Removed log clip and uploaded log in next post
The OpenDCT logs would confirm this, but I suspect your second server doesn't have the IP address 172.16.20.190 which is the IP address you are communicating with OpenDCT on. The reason you can't record anything is because the remote instance of OpenDCT cannot directly access your filesystem. This is especially true since you're not using UNC paths (but I'm not going to recommend that approach). What you want to do instead is enable the use of the SageTV media server (upload ID). Change the properties on your remote instance of OpenDCT in opendct.properties to the following values:

Code:
consumer.ffmpeg.upload_id_enabled=true
consumer.raw.upload_id_enabled=true
Be sure OpenDCT is stopped before changing those values or they will not take effect. If you have a local instance of OpenDCT installed and you're not seeing it, check the right side of the screen when you're adding a new capture device. You might notice a scrollbar. If you do try scrolling down.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:11 PM
Sage Icon

Not familiar with the SageTV Media server you are referring to:

Quote:
What you want to do instead is enable the use of the SageTV media server (upload ID
For us uninitiated to it can you explain what/how this works? (I use UNC paths)

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
Not familiar with the SageTV Media server you are referring to:

For us uninitiated to it can you explain what/how this works? (I use UNC paths)

Thanks in advance.
In this context, using the 'uploadid' or 'media server' method causes openDCT to stream the content to the sagetv server asking for it, and lets the server write that stream to disk. This is in contrast to the default method that network encoders use, which is to have the encoder itself write the file directly. Using the upload ID allows the encoders to work without having direct access to the recording folder, and avoids potential permission issues.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Upload ID is also the default for new OpenDCT installs, but if you have an old installation and you did not enable it, it will remain disabled.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks. I took the opportunity to upgrade to 0.5.28 and set the values as shown. One quirk though, the parameter "consumer.raw.upload_id_enabled=" wasn't in the properties file so I just added it.

Code:
consumer.ffmpeg.upload_id_enabled=true
consumer.raw.upload_id_enabled=true
One other question comes to mind. I now have 2 SageTV servers using the same instance of OpenDCT. Any problems or caveats?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Sage Icon

The file being written directly to the UNC file path is more efficient performances -wise.

Also - for software clients the UNC will be required to see the common recording folder.

Why/when would it be better to use the Media Server approach ?
Old 05-21-2017, 06:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Thanks. I took the opportunity to upgrade to 0.5.28 and set the values as shown. One quirk though, the parameter "consumer.raw.upload_id_enabled=" wasn't in the properties file so I just added it.
I take it that you deleted opendct.properties when you upgraded. That's not necessarily a problem, but that's also why you didn't see that property. If you were using the raw consumer for anything that property would have appeared in the properties set to true. The default opendct.properties file has it already in there and set to true, but you only get that file on the first install or possibly after a reinstall if you also removed opendct.properties after you uninstalled. If you delete it, similar to SageTV, it re-builds the file with defaults. This is how it has always worked since the first version of OpenDCT.

Quote:
The file being written directly to the UNC file path is more efficient performances -wise.

Also - for software clients the UNC will be required to see the common recording folder.

That's only true if the UNC path is a different server from your SageTV setup. If the UNC path is your SageTV box, it's more efficient to use the drives directly and use the media server. Also the media server is a lot more convenient in that you only need to make sure SageTV can correctly access your recording drives as opposed to making sure OpenDCT can access them too.

If you're using Comskip, the UNC path requirement is no longer needed since it currently uses SageTV API calls to get the contents of the EDL files. SageTV already uses the media server to playback your files on the software client regardless of if the UNC path is accessible.

There is one other reason to care. Sometime this year I will be committing some new code that will enable you to record shows with overlapping padding. It has been made compatible with older network encoders that don't use the media server, but that mode is not very efficient since it has to take what the network encoder wrote and copy it live for however many overlaps you have at the time. If you're using the media server, instead of writing to one file directly, SageTV can internally split the stream up and not need to read any files to make the needed copies. The new code will be optional and turned off by default since it is a very significant change, so you don't need to worry about anything suddenly not working the next time you upgrade.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
There is one other reason to care. Sometime this year I will be committing some new code that will enable you to record shows with overlapping padding. It has been made compatible with older network encoders that don't use the media server, but that mode is not very efficient since it has to take what the network encoder wrote and copy it live for however many overlaps you have at the time. If you're using the media server, instead of writing to one file directly, SageTV can internally split the stream up and not need to read any files to make the needed copies. The new code will be optional and turned off by default since it is a very significant change, so you don't need to worry about anything suddenly not working the next time you upgrade.
Sorry, I am missing something. What do you guys mean when you talk about the media server approach? And as opposed to what?
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Sorry, I am missing something. What do you guys mean when you talk about the media server approach? And as opposed to what?
Writing directly to the file.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Writing directly to the file.
Got it.

When upload_id is set to false, OpenDCT writes to the file instead of the SageTV media server.

I just just checked and mine is set to false. I am guessing that is because I originally installed OpenDCT about a year ago and the updates do not change the setting of the flag.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Got it.

When upload_id is set to false, OpenDCT writes to the file instead of the SageTV media server.

I just just checked and mine is set to false. I am guessing that is because I originally installed OpenDCT about a year ago and the updates do not change the setting of the flag.
Correct. There's no need to fiddle with it right now. If there becomes a higher need to fiddle with the setting I would change it as a result of the next configuration upgrade, but I generally don't force new defaults unless there's a good reason.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If the UNC path is your SageTV box, it's more efficient to use the drives directly and use the media server.
I believe the MSFT RMI is smarter than that... if it is determines from the UNC path that the network location is localhost it simply uses local I/O (correct me if I'm wrong). In that case having OpenDCT use the UNC and therefore writing directly would be faster than handing the stream off to the SageTV server and then writing it locally from the server process.

Quote:
SageTV already uses the media server to playback your files on the software client regardless of if the UNC path is accessible.
If this a change in SageTV 9? I thought previously the software clients were given the file location of media (recording path, video, photos, music ..) from the server as set on the server... if you set your media path to use an UNC then the location the software client would read from was the UNC.

Are none of these using the UNC path anymore?

What happens if you use a central phoenix meta data store?

Quote:
If you're using the media server, instead of writing to one file directly, SageTV can internally split
Nice approach.

Quote:
Comskip, the UNC path requirement is no longer needed since it currently uses SageTV API calls to get the contents of the EDL files
Speaking of Comskip... the native UI doesnt seem to understand the EDL files being written... is there a way to turn it on natively without adding a plugin?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I believe the MSFT RMI is smarter than that... if it is determines from the UNC path that the network location is localhost it simply uses local I/O (correct me if I'm wrong). In that case having OpenDCT use the UNC and therefore writing directly would be faster than handing the stream off to the SageTV server and then writing it locally from the server process.
The traffic is likely being routed through the loopback interface, but it's still using SMB protocol to read/write the data. If you run something like WireShark you will see that it isn't really all that clever. You can even see a network traffic difference in Resource Monitor.

Quote:
If this a change in SageTV 9? I thought previously the software clients were given the file location of media (recording path, video, photos, music ..) from the server as set on the server... if you set your media path to use an UNC then the location the software client would read from was the UNC.
This is not new. Most of us didn't really know how the media server worked until SageTV went open source. It looks like it might have been using the media server since whenever network encoder protocol v3 started to be used which looks like it was definitely prior to v9.

Quote:
Are none of these using the UNC path anymore?

What happens if you use a central phoenix meta data store?
All FanArt related things as far as I know still need to be UNC if you want to use a common store. Comskip is the only one I know that was changed.

Quote:
Speaking of Comskip... the native UI doesnt seem to understand the EDL files being written... is there a way to turn it on natively without adding a plugin?
Comskip is in no way a part of the default installation. You always need to install a plugin to get Comskip support.