SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Sage Icon

Slideshow randomness?

Does anyone know how the slideshow in Sage picks the photos to display (when set to random mode)?

Our TV runs the slideshow for a few hours each day. We have noticed that photos sometimes appear more often than random chance alone would explain.

There are about 46k JPG images in my photo import directly, and sometimes I'll see 2 or 3 from the same birthday party/Christmas/etc within the span of a few hours. Chance alone could explain this happening once, but when I notice this occurring a few times within the week, it makes me wonder how random the slideshow really is.

Anyone know how the images are selected?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
Does anyone know how the slideshow in Sage picks the photos to display (when set to random mode)?

Our TV runs the slideshow for a few hours each day. We have noticed that photos sometimes appear more often than random chance alone would explain.

There are about 46k JPG images in my photo import directly, and sometimes I'll see 2 or 3 from the same birthday party/Christmas/etc within the span of a few hours. Chance alone could explain this happening once, but when I notice this occurring a few times within the week, it makes me wonder how random the slideshow really is.

Anyone know how the images are selected?
When the slideshow becomes active the first thing Sage does is get a list of all photos and then call a java method that randomizes the list. It then starts sequentially displaying the photos in the randomized list.

If you are seeing "non-randomness" it's because of the java method Collections.shuffle().

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Administrator

One thing to keep in mind about randomness is that humans will often see "patterns" in truly random data... if everything were really evenly spaced out such that no 2 similar items ever appeared together, then it isn't really random, but an even distribution instead. Often, people perceive a 2D field of evenly spaced dots as random while a field of random dots are seen as having some sort of pattern that emerges in the random clumps.

Oh -- and if you restart the random slideshow, you will get a new random order and what was shown previously matters not at all.

Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV might improve if pictures would display in a "not-so-random" mode. Displaying a few related pictures and then displaying an other group of related pictures could improve the perception. Total random mode is a little bit to much of randomness ... at least in my point of view. Would it be difficult to implement something like this ... ?
Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubdich View Post
SageTV might improve if pictures would display in a "not-so-random" mode. Displaying a few related pictures and then displaying an other group of related pictures could improve the perception. Total random mode is a little bit to much of randomness ... at least in my point of view. Would it be difficult to implement something like this ... ?
Sounds like an option for a plugin, now you just have to find someone to make it happen.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubdich View Post
That would be cool. Somewhat OT but interesting anyway ... Google Photos is absolutely brilliant. One of the best photo apps I have ever used.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.