SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Sage User

Channels all incorrect

Hi,
I'm a new user here and not sure why when I go into channel setup and view channels they are all mismapped?

I have enabled/disabled channels
Chosen alternate providers (comcast Portland extended/Beaverton Extended)
Removed and re-selected the tuning options (I am plugged direct from cable to my PVR250 USB.

I am trying to find and record one channel...and i can't find it.
Zap shows I have it. I can get it on my cable tV (same cable connection)...but no dice on the Sage.

Making it more difficult is the fact that during Channel setup, at least for the upper channels (beyond 200) once you select a channel to view....it stays there regardless of which other channel you try to view....so there is no way to find my target chanel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by gkunz3; 07-06-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

are youusing a STB if so you cannot use the tuner in the pvr device to tune the channels you can either use coxial input with external tuner
which gives the lowest quality picture and mono only sound
composite input with external tuner which give good picture and stereo(or mono) sound
or svideo which gives the best picture and stereo sound

sounds like you are using digital cable and just getting the analogue broadcast rather than the digital
you should choose the sevice prodiver based off the input
if using an external tuner (cable box /DSS) you should choose the digital provider
if you the tuner in the pvr device (it is an analogue tuner) you should choose the analogue service provider

also make sure if you are going to use an external tuner that you are using either the serrial port on the backof the box or an IR Blaster to control it via Sage
Old 07-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the information.
You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge here....the unit that I have is the Hapauggue WinTv PV2 USB unit.

Do I understand correctly that I cannot go directly out from my coax cable? and that the PV2's tuner is not adequate?

The setop box provided by the cable company appears to have only RCA jacks out. There are plenty of coax cables in the back but they connect back to the unit in short loops. Did not see any other outputs.

Do I understand correctly that I should use the RCA outs on the cable box to the PV2.

Thanks so much for the assistance.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:26 AM
SageTVaholic

you can use the coxial output
but you still will be using the external tuner of your STB(cable box)
I would use RCAs though because of the mono issue when using coxial output
no matter what though if you want to use the cable box you will be tuning with it
not with the pvr usb2
it has an analogue tuner only
and thats all Sage supports
once the digital TV feed has left the cable box either from RCA or the coxial output it becomes analogue as well
and then the pvr usb2 will capture it
it does not make any difference what pvr card you have they all do analogue (well the US )
there is only one way to capture a digital feed in the US(of sort) now with an HDTV card which Sage does not support
but alot of people want it and there was beta support for two cards in the old version 1.4
sorry to get off topic

also you will need a IR blaster to control your cable box
what model is the cable box)?

if you use the analogue tuner of the pvr usb2 you will not need an ir blaster but you will only get the analogue channels
and you will not need the cable box at all

the analogue channels will always be stereo though
only the cable box's output of the digital channels through the coxial output is in mono

I hope I am not confusing you

if so let me know which parts
Old 07-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Sage User

Hi,
Thanks again for your reply. I've been away, but am now back.

I think I understand your points. It sounds as though I've two unplesant and dissapointing options.

Use the STB (mine is a General Instrument DCT 2244/1161) in which case I loose time-shifting recording option, except for a preset channel.

Use the PVR, and give up the cable channels that in fact are the ones I most want to record.

I guess I will recable the darn thing depending on which channels I want to record. Just seems very strange that these are the only options.

Does TIVO allow you to record the digitial channels?

George
Old 07-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

What you need is an IR Blaster to allow Sage to change the channels on your STB. Sage has built in support for the Actysis IR200L and the USB-UIRT.

These devices send an IR signal like your remote would do to tune the STB to the appropriate channel. Then you can watch/timeshift/record any channel you'd like.

Tivo must do the same thing for digital channels (since you asked), but it comes with the IR blaster.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the information, I will definately give it a try. Does it simply integrate with the Sage software to switch channels per the programs selected?

Gk
Old 07-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes install the IR blaster (whichever you choose to buy) so it points at the STB.

Then when you configure your source choose the "use external tuner" option, (use this guide if you need help)

http://download.sage.tv/SageTVSetupandConfiguration.pdf

Sage should recognize the blaster installed and ask you if you want to use it for that source.

Select it, and when Sage asks you what kind of cable box you have. Choose your STB from the list (The motorola DCT is the same as the GE and RCA I believe) and that should do it. Sage will now use the blaster to change the channels on the STB.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:30 PM
SageTVaholic

that box may have a serial port on the back have you consider checking out the DCT 2000 plug in

if so you would not have buy an USB UIRT or Actysis IR200L

if you have to I recommend the USB UIRT
the price difference eis not that mush and it can control up to 3 cable boxes and such
Old 07-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Sage User

Thanks.

No serial, I'm afraid. The box is gigantic, I've got to put it on it's side to fit into my cabinet. It has all kinds of small coax's snaking out and in on the thing.

I've ordered the IR blaster...

Thanks to all of you....this forum has made all the difference.