SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

adding clients to setup suggestions

I have decided to add clients to server setup. I am not a fan of android anything & feel it is better option for me to invest in mini pcs vs sage media extenders. I am looking at something like Intel NUC5CPYH which i can mount to back of tv. this model has bluetooth 4 , usb 3 ports & ac wifi. I am planning on loading linux software. not sure about hardware compatibility to various components. my next unknown is how to add remote or other interface to setup.
do i go with a bluetooth keyboard or some sort of ir remote? what would work best with this? open to all possibilities. currently have a win 7 - 64 bit server with 2 hauppage 2250 cards capturing OTA which may upgrade since one tuner is starting to fail. my main concern is reliability and ability to replace problem hardware down the road. that is one of main reasons for steering away from sage media extenders.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Honestly, windows is going to make a better client for you in most cases. Far starters, the SageTVClient is a fat client, and not a placeshifter, so it doesn't take up room in your server's limited JVM heap. Plus, the UI is so much faster than a placeshifter based UI.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

How about Tronsmart Ara X5 as Sage client?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdACaSPSCz4
Old 10-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I want to go to a linux only environment. not a fan of any post win 7 os either. i also am factoring the lower cost of open source software both economic & to sovereignty. since the supply of sagetv branded media extenders is limited (unless someone starts to manufacture them again ) id rather look at alternatives that i can swap out/upgrade faulty hardware as needed. Having not used anything other than a server to date i don't understand the differences between clients vs placeshifters. if someone could clarify that for me please? I am in canada so whatever hardware i get Id rather source locally than import other than Hauppauge parts at this point. so adding mini computer would be a client rather than a placeshifter? what i want to achieve is access point for media on server as well as interactive guide tuner for OTA on tvs around home. maybe duplicate some of features of other streaming devices like roku with net access, netflix & other content channels etc. i know it is ambitious goal, but hopefully one i can bring to fruition.

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 10-03-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:06 AM
SageTVaholic

A SageTVClient is a full client - it does all it's own UI generation and display, handles it's own input, etc - it maintains it's own local copy of the database. In short, it's every bit as smooth and fast as the server.

A Placeshifter is a miniclient (thin client). It does not generate it's own UI, and does not process input. It received your input and sends that to the server, which then generates the UI, and sends the rendered UI to the placeshifter for display. navigation is slower, and because it resides on the server, and in the same JVM as the server, it will lead to OutOfMemory problems on the JVM heap if you have many placeshifter's, and especially if you use a graphically intensive UI.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

so does using the linux client software offered here give me a true client or a placeshifter? I am mainly wanting to avoid hardware problems of using a dedicated sagetv hardware ( media extender) with its limited availability to something that I can change out if needed like the server itself.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxysurfer View Post
so does using the linux client software offered here give me a true client or a placeshifter? I am mainly wanting to avoid hardware problems of using a dedicated sagetv hardware ( media extender) with its limited availability to something that I can change out if needed like the server itself.
I'm pretty sure that the only Fat client is the SageTVClient for windows.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up View Post
I got mine yesterday and early impressions are pretty good IMO.

I've never had any of the HD extenders so I can't comment on how they compare, but so far the tronsmart has played everything I've thrown at it just fine. There's occasional light lag (loading fanart, etc) but nothing too bad, and all media has played just fine. I also tested xbox streaming quickly and it seems to work as well. Because I use Phoenix, I'm confident I can set up the menus to launch browers, xbox app, etc fairly easily. The only major issue I have is that the netflix app for w10 has no remote control support, so I've had to connect my HTPC keyboard/trackpad from the living room in the bedroom for the time being to control netflix, but that's not the fault of the PC.

Caveats - I don't record in HD so all recorded tv tests have been in SD (I've tested downloaded HD files in a number of formats so far without issue though), I only have the PC plugged into the TV for sound and so I'm in stereo, and I'm upgrading from an old hauppauge MediaMVP extender, so my expectations are fairly low.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, I've tested this out more now and found this tool to manage the netflix remote issues - it's in active development, and not perfect, but a great start.
http://sticky-ux.com/apps/NetflixRemoteController/

I have minor stutter issues when playing videos at length, but only occasionally. Somewhat annoyingly, the holes on the base of the PC do not line up properly with the VESA mount on the back of my tv; they're off by a few millimeters. Sleep/resume stuff in windows is also a little flaky. Bottom line - it's not the most powerful miniPC ever but it works.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

With the Linux versions can you run the full server software in client mode? On windows you can do this by typing something like:
Quote:
"C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageTV.exe" -client -connect server1
to attach to server 1.

You would need to buy the full server license for each client but now that we are in an Open Source environment that isn't an issue.

I know why you want to do this, but I still prefer Sage extenders. I have two HD-300 extenders and something like 8 HD-200s. They are not always very responsive but they are pretty simple to maintain - worst case scenario is you do a power cycle and you are good. The biggest problem is that you can only use about 3-4 simultaneously without crashing Sage - but that may not be an issue for you.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
With the Linux versions can you run the full server software in client mode? On windows you can do this by typing something like: to attach to server 1.

You would need to buy the full server license for each client but now that we are in an Open Source environment that isn't an issue.

I know why you want to do this, but I still prefer Sage extenders. I have two HD-300 extenders and something like 8 HD-200s. They are not always very responsive but they are pretty simple to maintain - worst case scenario is you do a power cycle and you are good. The biggest problem is that you can only use about 3-4 simultaneously without crashing Sage - but that may not be an issue for you.
No, the SageTVClient uses DirectShow for playback, so it will only work on windows.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

sounds like im on the way to desired function. hoping for more from linux client. will have to experiment with different setups. been looking at intel nucs for box. not too secure about ordering hardware directly from china aka the tronsmart but the price seems right & hoping for some savings on the software end of things but this model comes with win 10 so maybe will take a chance.

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 10-19-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

The tronsmart works but if I had it to do over I'd go with a slightly beefier processor, and something with an external wifi antenna.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

thanx for the tronsmart feedback. I think it will be a cheaper test client option. Not sure i want to spend too much per unit to attach to multiple tv sets. So may buy one as a test & see how I like it. I am currently playing around with win 10 in virtualbox. Will have to test setting up server software as client like suggested.