SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Not sure I agree with that. Pressing arrow keys usually means you want to move a "cursor" in that direction, so the media moves the opposite direction.

Swiping, on the other hand, is swiping the media itself. Swiping left to right on my phone shows my the screen that was previously to the left, which is what left-arrow does on my Windows machine.

Think of arrow keys as moving the pencil and swiping as moving the paper.
Yes, natural swipe direction is opposite scroll direction. Like was said. Think of it like moving a piece of paper rather than moving a cursor. I haven't personally tested it so I don't know how it operates but smooth scrolling with momentum is also a must have feature for phones or tablets.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Not sure I agree with that. Pressing arrow keys usually means you want to move a "cursor" in that direction, so the media moves the opposite direction.

Swiping, on the other hand, is swiping the media itself. Swiping left to right on my phone shows my the screen that was previously to the left, which is what left-arrow does on my Windows machine.

Think of arrow keys as moving the pencil and swiping as moving the paper.
Unfortunately, SageTV (to my knowledge) does not support click and drag. It was designed for working with a remote control, and button pushes. There would be a lot more work to add a whole new drag mechanism to be able to swipe like you are accustomed to on a touch device.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
So not an es2 issue, which is good, so not sure why it would not install.
Could be somethihng else in the manifest that ends up being requirred rather then just "use if available"...

OpenGL es 2 was there with Android 2.x phones...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 09-22-2015, 06:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Although I have not tried this myself (no android device) someone using Gemstone could try setting the Menu Style in Menu Manager Options to Metro Style and see if that is more phone friendly. It was an experimental menu style so not sure it will work well but is does provide a single column menu and no cascading menus.

k
Old 09-22-2015, 10:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Although I have not tried this myself (no android device) someone using Gemstone could try setting the Menu Style in Menu Manager Options to Metro Style and see if that is more phone friendly. It was an experimental menu style so not sure it will work well but is does provide a single column menu and no cascading menus.

k
I was going to try that - unfortunately, I can't get into options yet (there's no ESC key on my phone), so I can't get to the menu manager.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Rewriting the main menu on the default STV will not be too difficult, it's all of the other menus that concern me. If I need to rewrite from scratch it will be a big project.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Rewriting the main menu on the default STV will not be too difficult, it's all of the other menus that concern me. If I need to rewrite from scratch it will be a big project.
Is there a case where using a dynamic menu plugin would be better? Or is that even more work
Old 09-22-2015, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Honestly, I had no problem navigating the standard Gemstone menu on my droid. Just needs work on the controls implementation.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing... So far I've spent about 1 hr working on gestures, and about 2 weeks working on the UI. All i can say, is that it's not done yet When it is done, people can probably just remap it. But to to be honest, when you start using the app more, you'll see how the swiping as implemented, makes sense in some cases, not in others. for example if you take the sagetv menus. when you tap a menu, it will focus it. When you swipe left to right, it opens that menu (simulates right key press). You are saying that you want to swipe right to left, to open the menus Touch for SageTV has to consistently map to a mouse event and/or keystroke, and I'm not convinced that swiping right to left, should open a menu, that will fly out, right to left. But as I said, once all the big things are done, I'll look more into the gestures, and if time permits, I'll give an option to reverse the swiping actions.
using SageTV 7, and a Galaxy S5 running lollipop, is there a reason why I could navigate to my videos/recordings/music files, but not actually play any?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 09-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
using SageTV 7, and a Galaxy S5 running lollipop, is there a reason why I could navigate to my videos/recordings/music files, but not actually play any?
So far it handles rendering the SageTV UI and user interaction. Media playback will be a whole other level of effort and won't be ready for a while.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing... So far I've spent about 1 hr working on gestures, and about 2 weeks working on the UI. All i can say, is that it's not done yet When it is done, people can probably just remap it. But to to be honest, when you start using the app more, you'll see how the swiping as implemented, makes sense in some cases, not in others. for example if you take the sagetv menus. when you tap a menu, it will focus it. When you swipe left to right, it opens that menu (simulates right key press). You are saying that you want to swipe right to left, to open the menus Touch for SageTV has to consistently map to a mouse event and/or keystroke, and I'm not convinced that swiping right to left, should open a menu, that will fly out, right to left. But as I said, once all the big things are done, I'll look more into the gestures, and if time permits, I'll give an option to reverse the swiping actions.

I agree that menus pose a problem. They're kind of like an upper media layer that you slide over top of the main one. Not knowing anything about how the key mapping works, can the core be adjusted if it "knows" it's receiving input from a swipe-style UI? Can new swipe direction methods be added?
Old 09-22-2015, 03:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I agree that menus pose a problem. They're kind of like an upper media layer that you slide over top of the main one. Not knowing anything about how the key mapping works, can the core be adjusted if it "knows" it's receiving input from a swipe-style UI? Can new swipe direction methods be added?
Not built into sagetv currently. There is mouse support but IIRC it's only click and pointer support. It would take someone learning allot about sageTV UI backend to add swipe style.

That being said it can be simulated in studio if the correct keys are mapped and it's a UI built in studio only for touch displays.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post
So far it handles rendering the SageTV UI and user interaction. Media playback will be a whole other level of effort and won't be ready for a while.
ah, ok. thanks. for some reason I thought I saw someone being able to access video - must have been a different thread
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 09-22-2015, 07:56 PM
SageTVaholic

FYI... I've spent the last 2 nights knee deep into opengl hell I finally have textures rendering to the screen, but I have some ui issues that I need to address. But, even with the ui issues, I can tell the performance is still better than the Android Canvas. I'm still a long ways from having a decent opengl renderer... but a couple hours ago I was ready to throw in the towel, but then I finally found a decent 2d tutorial that actually worked.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
FYI... I've spent the last 2 nights knee deep into opengl hell I finally have textures rendering to the screen, but I have some ui issues that I need to address. But, even with the ui issues, I can tell the performance is still better than the Android Canvas. I'm still a long ways from having a decent opengl renderer... but a couple hours ago I was ready to throw in the towel, but then I finally found a decent 2d tutorial that actually worked.
Great. Thanks for your efforts Stuckless.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think your goal should be to get it just functional enough so we can get some new blood into the sage community, and hopefully someone will come along with a lot of high level android experience and go in and completely rewrite it.. ;-)

Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I think your goal should be to get it just functional enough so we can get some new blood into the sage community, and hopefully someone will come along with a lot of high level android experience and go in and completely rewrite it.. ;-)
I think that will definately need to happen at some point I'll see how far I get tonight with the rest of the rendering. Once I can get it on par with the Canvas solution, I'll do another build. I'm hoping to get it there by the weekend. (I'll see about adding in a quite dialog for adding a new server, and adding a gesture for "options" as well)
Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Honestly, I had no problem navigating the standard Gemstone menu on my droid. Just needs work on the controls implementation.
I haven't looked at Gemstone, but to me it's obvious that the default STV is not designed for a phone. It's way too small and there are too many elements displayed. It needs to be simplified.

My plan is to start putting together some ideas this weekend. If anybody knows of an app that they think is well designed please let me know and I'll have a look at it to see what I can "borrow". I'm a big fan of not reinventing the wheel. If somebody else has thought up a nice design I'll gladly flatter them by using it as an inspiration for a new Sage phone UI.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I haven't looked at Gemstone, but to me it's obvious that the default STV is not designed for a phone. It's way too small and there are too many elements displayed. It needs to be simplified.

My plan is to start putting together some ideas this weekend. If anybody knows of an app that they think is well designed please let me know and I'll have a look at it to see what I can "borrow". I'm a big fan of not reinventing the wheel. If somebody else has thought up a nice design I'll gladly flatter them by using it as an inspiration for a new Sage phone UI.
I have started work on a mobile UI happy to work together if you want? My thinking is it needs to be built for the phone and for the tv (android tv is a bigger use case I believe). I started by nuking all the default menu's to begin with as hacking something together from the existing is less than ideal to me. I have started some prelimary sketch ups of ideas happy to share with you over email if you still have my email. if not hit me up over PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I have started work on a mobile UI happy to work together if you want? My thinking is it needs to be built for the phone and for the tv (android tv is a bigger use case I believe). I started by nuking all the default menu's to begin with as hacking something together from the existing is less than ideal to me. I have started some prelimary sketch ups of ideas happy to share with you over email if you still have my email. if not hit me up over PM.
I would think the standard or gemstone ui would be perfectly fine for androidTV or AppleTV. That use scenario is no different than our current scenarios. I only see a slight need for work on the actual mobile touch devices, and most of that would come down to some scaling changes.