SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Should I use the open source version now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
1) There's really no benefit to V9 yet, it's (from a user perspective) Functionally identical to V7.
1a) Unless you want the YouTube plugin with progressive downloading.

2) You can just install V7 and then swap out the sage jar file.
Cracking open the open source code and doing anything with it is way beyond my pay grade. But I am trying to figure out the benefit of the open source Sage v9. If I don't need extra YouTube functionality should I just stay with v7? I run a Win7 machine and am not seeing the benefit of open sourced code. Can someone explain in small words why I would want an open sourced Sage?

* split to its own topic *
Old 08-14-2015, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacevich View Post
Cracking open the open source code and doing anything with it is way beyond my pay grade. But I am trying to figure out the benefit of the open source Sage v9. If I don't need extra YouTube functionality should I just stay with v7? I run a Win7 machine and am not seeing the benefit of open sourced code. Can someone explain in small words why I would want an open sourced Sage?
Today, there is absolutely no reason to want or need it. But a year from now, or maybe two, it might be a different story.

For example if there were some bug in SageTV, then it would only ever be fixed in the Open Source version.

There may come a point where some plugins will only work in the Open Source version (that is not the case right now, but over time, that could be a real possibility).

For those of us that are excited about the Open Source sage, the excitement is more about the possibilities of extending and doing things to SageTV that was not possible before.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

v9's database operations are considerably faster than v7 - gives the whole thing a smoother feel it seems (should result is fewer spinning circles). For the most part, though, it's always been the community that really created the strength of SageTV - and that community will be focusing on v9. I'm not saying it's worth a move to v9 now, unless you really want that one or two features - but once there is a more stable 'product' from it (with proper installers and such) it probably will be worth it, just to have access to the new goodies that just might start to pop up.

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of users still running SageTV v5 or v6...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-14-2015, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
A 64 bit version that would allow more extenders to be connected before running out of memory would be the biggest benefit I see in the short term.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

* split to its own topic *
The only functionality difference I'm aware of today, is the new YouTube plugin (2015) requires V9 for progressive downloads. Other than that, about the only thing you'll see with SageTV 9, is the V9 version number in your system information.

If you've got a working V7 system, I'd advise just sitting tight until there's some functional changes.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Hopefully in the near future we will also have clients for new platforms, like Android (both TV boxes and phones), Raspberry Pi, iOS, etc. So there will be some choices to replace the old SageTV extenders.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Hopefully in the near future we will also have clients for new platforms, like Android (both TV boxes and phones), Raspberry Pi, iOS, etc. So there will be some choices to replace the old SageTV extenders.
That is what I am hoping for also ... the SageTV recording engine is already rock solid.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

All...thanks for the feedback. Helps me better understand and will stick with my v7 setup until I see features worth the upgrade effort.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am hoping for this too.. I am still on 3 HD100s.. Which I assume will work with V9?
Client 2: HD100 on 50" Panasonic Plasma (16x9)
Client 3: HD100 on 32" Toshiba Tube (4x3)
Old 08-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
I am hoping for this too.. I am still on 3 HD100s.. Which I assume will work with V9?
Yeah, all extenders back to the MediaMVP should work with V9