SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Sage User

goodbye TY DVD's

For those of us who still save some of our sagetV recordings on DVD...

TY/JVC just announced they are getting OUT of the DVD biz.

production will continue thru 2015 and shutdown at the end of the year or so.

Sad day for me....10 years of archiving movies, (VHS converted home movies)..etc..and NEVER a coaster. Great quality stuff.

Bulk up if you can...but REMEMBER...unburned dvd's really have about a
3 year shelf life...if kept in a cool/DARK place. Something about the DYEs???

anyway....bye bye TY..we'll miss you!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by patotoole View Post
TY/JVC just announced they are getting OUT of the DVD biz.
That is a shame; TY was the best...

But honestly, I can't recall the last time I burned a DVD or CD - maybe three years ago...maybe. Now I copy/convert DVDs/Blurays all the time to add to SageTV.

With hard drives and flash memory being so cheap it just doesn't make sense to use DVDs. How long do standard writable DVDs last (once burned)? Can standard consumer drives burn onto archival quality optical media?

At this point, if I wanted to archive something irreplaceable, e.g., family home videos, I would opt to upload it to AWS S3 or AWS Glacier and let Amazon deal with hard drive crashes and redundancy. With a service like Glacier, you could store 200gb of home movies for about ~$25/yr. There are even cheaper services out there, like CrashPlan (which I use) but they aren't as reliable as AWS. I've had CrashPlan fail on document restores - I would never depend on the service for something that is 100% irreplaceable.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 06-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
But honestly, I can't recall the last time I burned a DVD or CD - maybe three years ago...maybe.
i have a couple of machines around the house that still won't boot correctly from a USB stick, and if i want to play with some new OS, etc, on them, i have to burn it to a DVD.

otherwise, i agree, i haven't put anything on a CD or DVD in a long time. i do have a couple of stacks of blanks in teh basement. guess i should do something with them before too long.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Sage Icon

I still burn DVDs when we go on family trips, I will throw a handful of my kids' favorite TV shows (whatever is the latest favorite of theirs since the LAST trip...) onto a couple of discs for them to watch in the minivan. What I have never checked is whether the van has native video playing capabilities through the USB port (on a stick or even portable spinner drive)... but I don't think it does (and almost surely wouldn't play the MKVs I convert everything to). To burn the DVDs, I use the native Sage conversion to make the files all "DVD-quality" MPGs, so my old-school DVD burner software can handle them.

By the way, I know everyone goes on and on about DVD lifespan, but I have DVD-R movie copies from 2002 that are still perfectly fine. I don't know if there are claims that the damage comes from actual USE though, because I don't think they've left the case since probably 2003.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Only time I burn anything is to make a boot disk, or make an MP3 CD to play in the car. My father in law, for some reason, who lives with my, and has his computer on the same network, is constantly burning photos onto CD to give to me so i can put them on my computer... go figure...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

My brother used to constantly ask me to burn DVDs for him. SageTV recordings, old movies, YouTube videos, anything he wanted to share with his friends. I bought him an HDMI cable and showed him how to hook his laptop up to any fairly modern TV. Life was good for a few years.

He recently came to me asking to burn more DVDs. I asked him what was wrong with the HDMI cable. It seems a new friend's only form of entertainment is an ancient DVD player hooked to an even more ancient television via a flat cable running between two sets of screw terminals. As the old joke goes, this TV isn't cable-ready; it's not even cable-able.

I taught him how to burn his own DVDs and he's gone through two spindles in as many weeks. Of course, he still has problems and comes to me any time he burns a coaster, has AV sync issues, can't find a file, etc.

I've offered to buy his friend a new television.

Last edited by troycheek; 06-18-2015 at 01:02 AM. Reason: fixed a few typos
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

That's funny! Same here.

Gotta laugh. Tech support for my whole family. Cuts into golf time.

Nice to know I'm not alone.

Wirenut
Old 06-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Sage Icon

I think it's safe to say that anyone who uses Sage is probably tech-savvy enough that they are the default tech support for their family.

(note: this is not saying that Sage requires great knowledge to operate, but rather a comment on the general non-techie-ness of most of the general public)
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.